upndownshop

Skydiving Quiz

Sheesh!

2) How long is a skydiver typically in free fall?
"60 seconds" is considered a wrong answer. They assume an exit altitude of 10,000 feet, but don't bother telling you that up front.

3) At 2,500 feet, the skydiver deploys the...?
"Main rig" is an incorrect answer. Correct answer is "drogue chute". We call them pilot chutes, not drogue chutes. Drogue chutes are used on tandems which are deployed as soon as they leave the plane, and a drogue's purpose is to limit the freefall speed. A pilot chute is the correct nomenclature for the small parachute that deploys the main parachute, which happens around 2,500 feet.

7) An AAD will release a backup chute at what height?
It's not a fixed number. It depends upon the type of AAD mode or skydive, such as a solo jumper or a tandem pair.

8) It describes the AAD cutter as a "bullet". There is no bullet. It's just a cartridge without a bullet.

Gosh, I've been jumping for 30 years and only got 8 out of 10 correct. What a dummy I am!

Sheesh!

"60 seconds" is considered a wrong answer. They assume an exit altitude of 10,000 feet, but don't bother telling you that up front.

"Main rig" is an incorrect answer. Correct answer is "drogue chute". We call them pilot chutes, not drogue chutes. Drogue chutes are used on tandems which are deployed as soon as they leave the plane, and a drogue's purpose is to limit the freefall speed. A pilot chute is the correct nomenclature for the small parachute that deploys the main parachute, which happens around 2,500 feet.

It's not a fixed number. It depends upon the type of AAD mode or skydive, such as a solo jumper or a tandem pair.

8) It describes the AAD cutter as a "bullet". There is no bullet. It's just a cartridge without a bullet.

Gosh, I've been jumping for 30 years and only got 8 out of 10 correct. What a dummy I am!

Good I dont feel so bad, sounds like we missed the same ones. A how to site that has wrong info:S

Wel did ya learn anything though?;)

Wel did ya learn anything though?;)

I learned that the TV media still needs to have their work checked by technical advisers before they make themselves look like idiots.

Oh, and I learned that when a pilot chute pulls the pin on a container that it makes a small "pop". That's funny, I've never heard that noise over the 120 mph wind blast. I must have bad ears. :ph34r:

An AAD's cutter is:

the computer that measures a skydiver's altitude
a bullet that fires and cuts the closing loop to deploy the reserve chute if necessary
a battery that can power the AAD for up to 200 jumps

Not what we want TSA to hear:S
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

be safe the other 20 percent of the time!

Not what we want TSA to hear

I already submitted a change request on THAT one.
Rule number 1: Don't make quizzes if you're not a subject matter expert.

Hi Dear lady. :)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Sheesh!

Thank YOU! I've only been jumping for 26 year but I got the same questions wrong that you did for the same reasons. They confused me with their stupidity. :S I had to guess at what they were trying to get at and I guessed wrong.

I used to love the tests.

"A D-license is recommended for a... jump."

Then, 3 questions later, for the same thing...

"A D-license is required for a... jump."

Followed by all the FAA required/recommended and USPA required/recommended distances for clouds and such.
:S

(Like the handy "Bat-Measuring-Grapple" on my "Bat-Skydiving-Belt" will tell me how far from the cloud I am.) :D

"Looks like 940 ft, Robin. Try to backslide."
:)