BDashe

Porsche calls out Nissan GT-R

rrrrrrrrrruuuhhh-ohhh!

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/30/porsche-accuses-nissan-gt-r-of-cheating-the-ring/

anyone make it clicky?

I'm not a fan of the GT-R personally (I drive a Z06 myself, f*ckin rice rockets...) Be interesting if this proves to be true!

Edit: uploaded a few pics, last one is my fav! :D:D:D
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

I'd wager a guess that the driver is a much bigger factor here than something like putting on non-stock tires as suggested by the article.

The only "real" test would be to put Sabine Schmitz in both cars and see what she could do.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'd wager a guess that the driver is a much bigger factor here than something like putting on non-stock tires as suggested by the article.

To a point, but at that level all of the drivers are very good! The change in tires can and will make a huge difference.

That's like having two top level swoopers, JT and JayMo for instance and one of them "cheats" by having a RDS and the other doesn't. Sure the person makes a big difference, but equipment plays a huge factor.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

my brother got a Godzilla a few years ago.
I could not believe that he got his inheritance and went out and paid a hundred grand for a car he was not allowed to first test drive.
When I went back home I was blown away by him watching him take it out on the track with his mates Ferrari (we come froma big Asian community, if youvan imagine fast and the furious but in the suburbs). Cars are everything in our little area.

He sold his last year when he bought my parents house off them. He now drives a Evo. Personally I would love a Evo but I suppose it is a big step down for him.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

To a point, but at that level all of the drivers are very good! The change in tires can and will make a huge difference.

That's like having two top level swoopers, JT and JayMo for instance and one of them "cheats" by having a RDS and the other doesn't. Sure the person makes a big difference, but equipment plays a huge factor.

I disagree. It's more like one factory team claims something and a rival factory team says, "nuh uh." How the heck can you really believe the rival team put in their best effort at duplicating the results?

Again, I say give the cars to Sabine and see what she says.
quade -

Again, I say give the cars to Sabine and see what she says.

I would be more than happy to take both cars and test them to the best of my ability to help level the claims.

How the heck can you really believe the rival team put in their best effort at duplicating the results?

I was talking about the initial results and the accusation. Tires make a HUGE difference. Now if the Germans drove the rice burner as hard as they could, I don't know, but tires still make a huge difference.

sure they would make a huge difference but not that big a difference in this case. Surely not twenty five seconds. It's not like the Godzilla comes out of the factory with your average tyres. I mean the tyres on the Godzilla would be pretty close to being the best road tyres on the market. I can't imagine slicks making a difference of twenty five seconds. Also, were the weather conditions the day Porsche went out exactly the same?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I don't know about the weather, but I had thought about that as well.

tires. Spell it right damnit!:P

Maybe you are right. He may have been using Tires instead of tyres. That might have affected it by 25 seconds.

Anyway, I thought we were speaking english here.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Good tiyyyers make a big difference on any course. You have to remember that The Nürburgring ring
Is very long, 12 miles while your regular F1 Track on average is about 2-4 miles long.

I can see 25 sec. Just pro tires alone.

The whole point is to run your car stock every thing, so if they did not run stock but said they did that’s really cheating.
However every test I have seen of the GTR has been with huge positive response. I still wouldn’t want one, but it is very fast.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Good tiyyyers make a big difference on any course. You have to remember that The Nürburgring ring
Is very long, 12 miles while your regular F1 Track on average is about 2-4 miles long.

The whole point is to run your car stock every thing, so if they did not run stock but said they did that’s really cheating.
However every test I have seen of the GTR has been with huge positive response. I still wouldn’t want one, but it is very fast.

What I don't understand about the whole "tire" claim by Porche is . . . wasn't that supposedly one of the things Nissan did to select the wheel/tire combo that was going to be used anyway? Didn't Nissan make a big deal out of TESTING over 3000 different combinations before settling on the one that was going to be used for production?
quade -

Agreed on all fronts! especially the not owning one part :D Tires on long tracks make massive differences. just in the nascar races going in a d*mn oval worn slicks vs new ones can make a 3-5 second difference. street vs. slicks is a big big difference, especially when maxing the ride out.

If you look at the GT-R times, the thing absolutely dies over 90 mph. I'll take my big boy torque any day to keep the power coming all the way up. No replacement for displacement!!! (Thanks for that gem MX)
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

Didn't Nissan make a big deal out of TESTING over 3000 different combinations before settling on the one that was going to be used for production?

What conditions was the testing for? For a wet track, for a dry track, what kind of track, a streetable track tire or a trackable street tire?

There are many different variables!

Yes the GTR has been in the making for 10 years. When they first announced the time the tiers were questioned but there was no answer provided by reliable source just petrol heads.
I honestly don’t know what to think. It might be a combination of things, and not just the tiers alone. Something as simple as higher then standard boost will produce a lot more horses.
Or as simple as the Porsche drivers not doing a good job.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Changing tires is a huge factor. For instance in the SCCA solo rules for stock class you can run R compound tires which would give you more of an advantage than anything you could put on your car that would bump you into STS or a different class
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

What I don't understand about the whole "tire" claim by Porche is . . . wasn't that supposedly one of the things Nissan did to select the wheel/tire combo that was going to be used anyway? Didn't Nissan make a big deal out of TESTING over 3000 different combinations before settling on the one that was going to be used for production?

Production for a road going car, right?

There's going to be a massive, massive difference between a road legal tyre that has to withstand being driven day in and day out on all surfaces and conditions and a super soft racing slick that only needs to last one lap of the 'ring.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?