LisaM

Cat Question

Other than giving them away or whatever insane things some will come up with...

... is there a way to get my kitty to stop eating plants? I had them up really super high but she can now jump that high so I currently have a plantless house.

She actually just rips all the leaves off.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

My house is plantless also. One of my cats eats any and all plants. Especially flowers.

The only thing I found that works to distract her is that potted organic grass for pets you get at the pet store. She loves it.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I subscribe to the squirt gun behavior modification technique.
;)
Seems to work for most behaviors...

Add hiss and growl to that. Cats don't understand 'hoomin', only their own language. Reward good behavior with treats. It should eventually sink in. Eventually...:D

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

My house is plantless also. One of my cats eats any and all plants. Especially flowers.

The only thing I found that works to distract her is that potted organic grass for pets you get at the pet store. She loves it.

I hear it makes them puke a lot. True?

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I hear it makes them puke a lot. True?

Actually, it helps with hairballs. I've never seen her puke it up.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Ok I'll get some pet grass. At least give her something fun. But the other plants are staying away. I need glass cabinets for my plants. :D

An excuse to buy a cool curio cabinet. ;):D

Brilliant!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I gave up on keeping any plants inside a long time ago. I swear using the "cat grass" actually contributed to the problem because if they know its OK to eat one plant, they think ALL plants are fair game. And remember, you can train a cat not to do something in front of you, but they'll still do it when you aren't around. ;)

I gave up on keeping any plants inside a long time ago. I swear using the "cat grass" actually contributed to the problem because if they know its OK to eat one plant, they think ALL plants are fair game. And remember, you can train a cat not to do something in front of you, but they'll still do it when you aren't around. ;)

Right, that is why I don't do the water squirting anymore. It's pointless because they learn to do it when I'm gone.

I will not be keeping plants in the house. Maybe time to get some fake ones at least.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

If the plants are on a shelf, get yourself a product called Snappy Trainer http://www.snappytrainer.com/. I have been a dog trainer and dog and cat behaviorist for many years and this is the best product I ever discovered. They do not - can not - hurt the animal but they will scare the beejeezuz right out of your cat or dog. Or husband if you forget to tell him that you put one on the kitchen counter to cure kitty kitty's new habit.

You can also try my other favorite. Double stick tape and balloons. You have to get the long style of balloons that freaky clowns use to make balloon animals because they are very thin and fragile when they are blown up all the way. Use the double stick tape to attach the balloon. Cat jumps up, balloon pops. Cat's heart stops for a moment. Basically you are making the plants fight back. This method is probably the best for cats that scratch the furniture. Make the couch fight back!!! :ph34r:

If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll be happy to do it for you.
Be like the cupcake and suck it up.

... is there a way to get my kitty to stop eating plants? I had them up really super high but she can now jump that high so I currently have a plantless house.

You might try a pheromone feline repellent. There is one called Fel-Away. You can spray it around your plants. Also mix lettuce or other greens in with her cat food. Good Luck!

I subscribe to the squirt gun behavior modification technique.
;)
Seems to work for most behaviors...

it really does! I work at a doggy day care and we use squirt bottles there for humpy dogs or whatever so i started using one on my cat when he jumped up on the counters and it totally works..unless your not home then i dont know, i have a cat who eats plants then pukes..i ended up getting rid of the plants

You might try a pheromone feline repellent. There is one called Fel-Away. You can spray it around your plants. Also mix lettuce or other greens in with her cat food. Good Luck!

I thought Feli-Way was a feel good pheromone to calm nervous cats. The plug-in diffuser is said to be useful to calm cats when introducing a new cat to the house and the spray version inside the carrier before transport.

You may want to try bitter apple spray. I read somewhere that it helps to stop unwanted chewing since kitties can't stand the taste.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Either of these two devises should work on the wily kitty.

For the the "tabby Tote' Just affix to the B.K.I.Q. (Bad Kitty In Question) and hang on the wall when not at home.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::D:D:D

I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill