shropshire

AT Skiing - yes it's nearly that season again..

So, last year I started AT skiing (on rental gear) and now I'm in the market for my own.
I'm old-ish (fuck off Copland, before you even start) but plan on a couple of week long holidays and some long weekends. I'm a keen, rather than a good skier - so what I'm saying is that I don;t need professional (expensive gear).

I'm looking at Scarpa Denali boots, Fritschi Free Ride Plus Bindings and the skis could be either :- Scott (Mission or Aztec), Rossignol Bandit B3 (or 78 or 94) Respect.

Does anyone please have experience of this kit or have any other suggestions?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I've never skied on those others but I have demoed a pair of Rossi B3's. It's a fantastic ski for advanced intermediate to expert skier. The ski is more geared toward softer fluffier snow rather than hard pack. But at the end of the day when all the soft stuff is gone it shines very nicely on the hard pack and holds a great edge. Great one quiver ski and I highly reccommend them. Where will you be doing most of your skiing? Different kinds of skis are better suited for different parts of the world as the snow condition varies greatly.

Cheers,

I'll mostly be skiing in the Alps (France & Switzerland) and after skining for the 1st time last year (really loved it). I love the peace and quite away from the crowds and getting into the trees and being alone (sad old git, that I am), I feel that I need my own gear.

B3 respects are really hard to come by now and the shop that I went to today really rates Scott as a brand.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Oye you old fart, why not come an ski near me, you'll get free boad an lodgings an I'm only 30 mins from the slopes
30 mins for me that is, old farts take longer
checkout "La Molina" or "Port de comte"

Gone fishing

Yes it is! And I will hopefully be getting in two trips this year out to the Western US. One trip to Colorado to ski Breck in Dec and a second to Lake Tahoe to hit Heavenly, Kirkwood, Squaw and North-star!! woohoo

let it snow let it snow let it snow....:ph34r:

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Alpine Touring - back country skiing using skins to go up/across. So you can get to the quite places. Not to be confused with Nordic skiing (them with the long thin skis).

I understand ALL the words but they have no meaning to me:D:D:D

I live in a desert and have seen snow ONCE last Xmas in Colorado:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

:D:D You're in for a shock on your winter trip then, hey?

out of all the things that worry me (and there's not much that does) MINUS 30 degrees Fahrenheit WORRIES ME:D:D

There is nothing at all in OZ that would prepare me for that sort of cold, add the wind chill factor to and :o:o

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:Squeakcicle:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've never used those boots, or those particular skis, (although I do like the bandit series), BUT I can tell you the Fritschi AT bindings are great bindings. They really stand up well and are easy to work, even with gloved hands. I was pretty leary of the whole AT system at first - it looked pretty flimsy, but my bindings have really held up.

I would recommend you get a boot that also includes a DynaFit binding. I am a personal fan of the Garmont Mega Ride, I spent well over 50 days in it last year. If you get the DynaFit binding you are going to give yourself the option to switch ski gear when needed to something a lot more light weight.

I train on a heavy K2 Recon's with Marker Duke bindings but do my back country work on K2 Shuksan's with Dynafits, those weigh in at under 10lbs.