AndyBoyd

The Bent Prop and Eloy Cops

After a weekend of fun jumping and tunnel training at Skydive Arizona, a few of us headed to the Bent Prop for dinner and a beer. This was Sunday night, the 23rd. I had a hot dog & fries, and 3 beers over a period of about an hour and 15 minutes. After I left the Prop, I got pulled over for rolling through the stop sign at Tumbleweed & Shedd. The cop put me through a half hour of field sobriety tests, which I passed. He still wrote me up for rolling the stop sign, which is going to cost me $95.

The point of this post is not to rant against cops, the guy was just doing his job. But the Holiday boogie season at Eloy is cranking up, and I thought people should be aware that Eloy cops patrol the area outside the DZ looking for people coming out of the Prop. Also, since I'm from Illinois, I did some research on AZ DUI laws. Without going into too much detail, AZ is VERY harsh on drunk drivers. You can get a DUI in that state if you are "impaired to the slightest degree," regrdless of your blood alcohol content. And ALL DUI convictions result in at least one day of jail time in AZ.

If you are heading to Eloy this Holiday season, be careful with your drinking at the Prop, and obey all the stop signs and speed limits around the DZ, including I-10 and Jimmy Kerr Rd. You don't want to be balancing on one foot counting to 30 in front of the flashing lights. Trust me, it is not fun.

I guess it's also reasonable to point out that most of the roads around Eloy have posted speed limits FAR below what you might be used to for similar roads in other states.

These guys aren't out to get you, but they are almost definitely out to enhance the revenue of the city. Drive carefully.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My friend got busted last year at the exact same stop on Tumbleweed drive. He did end up with a DUI and spent the night in jail and the cops DID admit that they are ordered to patrol that area to cause trouble to the skydivers. It seems that the City of Eloy isn't real happy with the DZ and wants to cause some disruption.

Not familiar with Eloy but it does not seem like a place that would be a hot bed of economic activity for AZ. Being a huge DZ for the US, why would the cops be ordered to hassle skydivers?

Does the city not benefit from the DZ in the form of taxes and hotel/motel revenue?
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

...You can get a DUI in that state if you are "impaired to the slightest degree," regrdless of your blood alcohol content...

Since you are an attorney from IL I won't argue with you if you correct me but I was told that in the state of IL if you are deemed impaired by the officer that pulls you over even if your BAC is only .01 you could still be arrested for DUI.

AZ is very serious about DUI like you said. I went to school down there and there were commercials all the time warning about not drinking and driving and the consequences if you did. There was a ridiculous number of TV ads for DUI attorneys also. So if you get a DUI but you have a few days left in AZ turn on the TV and you can find an attorney.

...You can get a DUI in that state if you are "impaired to the slightest degree," regrdless of your blood alcohol content...

Since you are an attorney from IL I won't argue with you if you correct me but I was told that in the state of IL if you are deemed impaired by the officer that pulls you over even if your BAC is only .01 you could still be arrested for DUI.

AZ is very serious about DUI like you said. I went to school down there and there were commercials all the time warning about not drinking and driving and the consequences if you did. There was a ridiculous number of TV ads for DUI attorneys also. So if you get a DUI but you have a few days left in AZ turn on the TV and you can find an attorney.

I am not a DUI attorney. I got this info from the cyberdriveillinois website maintained by the Illinois Secretary of State. In Illinois, you are automatically DUI with a BAC of .08 or greater. With a BAC between .05 to .08, you can still be DUI, but additional evidence is needed to convict. It does not seem that in Illinois, you could be DUI with a BAC of lower than .05.

HEY! one day at clown college does not constitute going to to school there!;)
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664