beezyshaw

Extend the Life of your Pilot Chute

Ever since the advent of the collapsable pilot chute, one thing has really caught my attention; using a connector link as the retainer to hold the bag and pilot chute together creates extremely rapid wear to the "loops" in the bridle. The culprit, of course, is the hex-shape of the nut on the connector link. Its sharp edges literally cut through the bridle loops in most cases in a relatively short period of time. Many a main pilot chute has been replaced only because these loops are damaged, when the rest of the assembly is in good condition.

About five years ago, I began using a split ring instead of a Rapide link to hold my bag and pilot chute together. A split ring is, of course, a good old round key ring from the hardware store. The attached picture shows my bag and pilot chute after five years' use, and as you can see there is no wear to the loops on the bridle. This assembly has hundreds and hundreds of jumps on it in this configuration. I highly recommend replacement of the Rapide link with a split ring. It'll make your pilot chute bridle last a lot longer.

Three things to know about using a split ring; first, get a ring that is made of heavy-guage steel. Don't use a cheap,thin ring, or it can bend. Secondly, make sure the ring is larger than the hole in your bag's grommet, but smaller than the outside diameter of the grommet itself. And, now that I've heard some rings can have sharp edges, make sure the ring you use has nice beveled edges at the ends to avoid canopy damage.

Attached picture shows the assembly, and beside it a sample of a good split ring.

Hi Beezyshaw,
You have a very good idea! The problem of metal links damaging the loops in the bridle is a reality.
Our company has developed a system that eliminates any use of metal to connect the bridle-bag and bridle-canopy attachment point.
I've testing this system for thousand of jumps and about 3 years. There is no damage at all and one very good thing is that you can connect/disconnetc the pc in 10 seconds with no need for any tools!
Check out our web page and tell me what do you think!
http://www.riggingsolutions.us/product/Accessories/pilot_chutes.htm
When are coming to visit us and bring some demos?!?!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho
Rigging Solutions
Gus Marinho

There is a suggestion in this thread about using a slink

http://www.dropzone.com/...post=1906382#1906382

I don't think that's what is suggested in that thread; the use of a slink to attach the bridle to the canopy is what that thread is about.

Now, I do know that Mike Gruwell suggests using a tandem (or reserve) Slink for the bridle/bag assembly, but my problem with that is purely monetary. Now if PD gave you 5 in a set, that would be a different story. :D

There are draw backs with the split ring too. The end of the split ring can snag the canopy. This happened to a buddy of mine and it torn a hole in his brand new VX.

Yes, I've thought of that. But it seems to me that the cheap split rings have a sharp edge, while a good one has smooth beveled edges at the ends. I'd certainly hate to recommend a procedure that would end up tearing canopies! :(

Beezy,
The Smart links is the best solution so far for this kind of problem. I have a lot of customers using the Smart link and they are pretty happy about it.
Price! Well, I didn't forget about that too! Only $8.00 and no more problems!!!
The combination of our pilot chute design and our smart link definitely eliminated those bridle loop damages, but unfortunately I created another one! Make people think that pilot chutes last forever if there is no damages!
Well, this is for another discussion!
I hope to see you soon!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho
Rigging Solutions
Gus Marinho

How much does the Smart link cause the bridle to squeeze together onto the kill line?
------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Derek,
It never happen, but if it does, the pc is still on "armed" position. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I believe that our system is damage free, skydiver/rigger friendly and any rigger with a bartacker, a finger trap tool and a piece of dacron line can make one.
One problem that I saw is pilot chute bridles out of specification (way too long). On this case, the bridle loop will "dance" up and down and it will damage the loops regardless of any use of soft or metal links.
Also, the size of the grommet on the bag been to large (#5 or larger).
Hope I answered your question!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho
Rigging Solutions
Gus Marinho

Wouldn't a regular sized slink just slide through the grommet easily?

Yes, it will go right through. And depending on the grommet size of your bag, a reserve slink can do that as well. Plus, where are you going to get "one" slink anyway? As I've mentioned, the split ring is cheap and very good for the purpose.

I was just thinking of added friction on the kill line, shrinking it faster than normal.

That's one of the things the split ring does well; it keeps the two loops separated to reduce friction (which of course results in heat/shrinkage) between centerline and bridle loops.

I was just thinking of added friction on the kill line, shrinking it faster than normal.

That's one of the things the split ring does well; it keeps the two loops separated to reduce friction (which of course results in heat/shrinkage) between centerline and bridle loops.

I like this. In this way I can get rid of the last rapide link I have which is causing wear just like you describe. Where do we get the good quality ones?

rm

This brings up the old days,,the bag used to slide up and over , collapsing the pilot chute,,how did this fall out of favor? I should know but am drawing a complete blank....

After a couple of hundred jumps the pilot chute mesh was usually pretty shreded by the #8 grommet. Piot chute replacement was the biggest factor in it falling out of favor.

Mick.

This brings up the old days,,the bag used to slide up and over , collapsing the pilot chute,,how did this fall out of favor? I should know but am drawing a complete blank....

Another problem with this is that the added mass of the bag made it more likely, and more problematic when the combination went over the leading edge of the canopy and tangled in the suspension lines.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I have had very good results using a Rapide link and tacking the link to the d-bag.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry about that Derek! The quality of my pictures are terrible! Anyway, the bridle loops are not closed at all. Thanks for bringing this up.
With the Smart link, the bridle loops have a round shape.
No matter what we use, I just think that metal and fabric/tapes are not a good combination. That's why I designed my PC's and the Smart links this way. No use of any metal and tools at all.
Cheers,
Gus Marinho
Rigging Solutions
Gus Marinho