BillyVance

Have your kid had the ear tube thing done and/or tonsillectomy?

Well, my little girl's scheduled early tomorrow morning for surgery. Gonna have her tonsils taken out and tubes inserted in her ears to drain the fluids.

She has been sick way too many times since August. Not sure what to expect though, but I'm sure the docs/nurses will inform me...

Anybody else had this experience with their kids?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My friend's daughter went through the same procedures at age 3. She was always sick. It helped so much. No swimming though. And I think the tubes were replaced several times as she grew.

She had the tubes removed at age 13 and is now 18 and doing great. :)
She'll be annoyed with them at first, but will get used to it.

I wish your little one the best!! :)

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

my girl (9yo) 10 in march, we had them put in after numerous ear infections and colds when she was like 2-3 they both popped out on their own a year or so later. best thing we ever did she never got sick after the tubes were installed. we used the fluorescent colored wax earplugs when she would bathe or swim. her tonsils were taken out about a year ago when she was 8

my boy (8yo) never had them, never needed them. no tonsils either
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

I had them when I was about 7, I was sick all of the time and everytime I got a cold I would loosed partial hearing. They worked great, I had to stay above water for about a year or so and then they just popped out! It makes a great difference, I remember not realizing how bad my hearing was until I got them in!
"Well behaved women rarely make history" - Marilyn Monroe

Well, my little girl's scheduled early tomorrow morning for surgery. Gonna have her tonsils taken out and tubes inserted in her ears to drain the fluids.

She has been sick way too many times since August. Not sure what to expect though, but I'm sure the docs/nurses will inform me...

Anybody else had this experience with their kids?

Yep, on both counts... both are "preventative" measures to reduce the risks associated with specific patterns... We all know the standard response: no medical procedure is without risk.

By now you've been through a lot of good advice and we all wish you the intervention IS the answer you've been looking for.

Smile Billy !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I had tubes in my ears and eventually my tonsils out when I was around 13-14. Tonsils were a pain in the ass but so were the ear/throat infections I was getting on a regular basis before they came out.[:/]

The tubes were a hit! I was a class clown and I found out that when I closed my mouth, plugged my nose and blew (think clearing your sinuses after freefal) the tubes WHISTLE!!!!!B|

I hope everything goes smooth and this makes life better for your daughter and your entire family!:)

I got nuthin

Both our girls had the ear tubes and they helped a lot. Relax, things will be just fine - and a lot better.

Then the older one just had her tonsils out last summer, going on 24. It's rougher on an adult, even a young one, but again, things are better now.

Most kids just don't have their tonsils out anymore. I still remember when a lot of my friends had them out as a normal thing, though I never did myself.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Thanks everyone!

I've been sitting in the surgery waiting room for more than an hour. Doc just came out and said they finished, and everything went well. They inserted the tubes and had instant drainage of the fluids behind the eardrums. They also took her tonsils out as well as her adenoids in her nose. Those were pretty swollen.

Just waiting on them to let me know when I can see her and where. :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

right on billy, good to hear bud.

when you see her she is still going to be trashed from the medication...don't let her sign any checks or make any important decisions for 24 hrs.

LOL!! J/k

i remeber my little girl was reaching up in the air trying to grab stuff that wasn't there, and talking crazy stuff ...and she kept wanting to get up and walk around. that wasn't happening

oh well man it's all for the better mine doesnt even remember none of it..
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

I wish the quacks in Hungary would have done tubes back in the days. Countless children were put through hell (my beloved niece among them) and subjected to possible hearing loss because they were doing the barbaric method of perforating the ear drum with a large needle to release the fluids. This, done over multiple times over the years if the child gets frequent colds, leads to scarring and hearing loss, not to mention the trauma of the doctor coming towards your ear with a horse needle...
Still makes me mad>:(
Dont worry, tubes will help her tremendously, she'll be fine.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

My son had it done. It is great he hasn't had an ear infection since. One year it was really bad because one child would give an ear infection to the other, and it would be an endless cycle of doctor visits.

Children on Versed are funny.

It was a little tough on me when my little man got out of the surgery though. I didn't like seeing him in such pain. I went pale when he was in the re covery room. I had to take a walk for soem fresh air, and to get him a slurpy.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Wow, your lil lady had some work on her today! Glad to hear it went well. I hope she doesn't experience too much discomfort!

Mucho HUGS!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

My little bro got them and it changed a lot! My parents were having a horrible time with him, he was ignoring them, ignoring teachers, etc. It was all blamed on a bad attitude, etc. until someone eventually questioned whether he could even hear the people he was ignoring. He had so much drainage, etc. that he just couldn't hear. Post tubes was a whole different world.
Killing threads since 2004.

My child hasn't, but a lot of the kids in the daycare that I worked at had tubes. I think there might* be a connection between higher incidence of tubes among kids who take antibiotics a lot???

I know my kid was breastfed for 9 months, and never had an ear infection till I started working at the daycare. He's only had one ear infection and that was around right after he turned a year old.

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...