FlyingJ

Hey Billy, WTF...

While I always pull for the SEC in general, I don't really care all that much. I just wanted to see a good game! Alabama still has PLENTY of time, but it's certainly looking now like Florida knocked the wind out of them and they never got it back.
Killing threads since 2004.

After that game I should would like to see Utah play a few other top ranked teams to see where they pan out. They certainly handed Alabama their asses.

I like the comment that was made at halftime. Alabama was thinking about the national championship game. Utah was thinking about the Sugar Bowl. It showed tonight.

After that game I should would like to see Utah play a few other top ranked teams to see where they pan out. They certainly handed Alabama their asses.

I like the comment that was made at halftime. Alabama was thinking about the national championship game. Utah was thinking about the Sugar Bowl. It showed tonight.

Here's my take on this game:

Yes, Utah beat the hell out of us. In the first quarter anyway. Alabama had allowed a total of 20 points in the first quarter in the entire 12 game regular season, and Utah scored 21. All of them on drives of less than 2 minutes. They basically caught Alabama's defense off guard with a hurry-up, no-huddle offense. That said, I think Alabama was unprepared for the speed Utah had. Utah then settled with a regular offense and Alabama was then able to contain them for a while.

On offense, the biggest problem Alabama had was they were forced to play without their best player - Outland trophy winner left tackle Andre Smith, who was suspended for improper dealings with an agent. I don't know what the details are on that but he's gone for good. Anyway, remember that I said many times over the course of the season that Alabama's starting offensive line could handle just about anybody in the country, until they got tired. Alabama had no depth with any significant game experience to step in and replace the starters when needed. Alabama really had one of the best years ever when it came to injuries/suspensions. Andre's loss really hurt in the Sugar Bowl, and to make matters even worse, his replacement Mike Johnson, our 3rd best lineman (center Antoine Caldwell being the 2nd best), suffered a high ankle sprain with 7 minutes to go in the first quarter. That forced more shuffling of the offensive line so that only 2 starters were playing their original positions, and 2 freshmen with little experience were forced to play. It showed, big time. Wilson got sacked 8 times in the game and pressured a lot more.

That said, Alabama did make a comeback to get within a score of taking the lead, but Utah clamped down on defense and went back to their hurry-up offense to finish us off. Had Alabama had their original offensive line intact, the game would have turned out differently and been a more competitive one. What really upset me during the game was the inability of our defense to tackle Utah's ball carriers. It was totally out of character for us.

Utah is the real deal. They showed up ready to play, Alabama under-estimated them.

Oh well... at least Alabama can claim to be #1 in the nation in one statistic - non-offensive touchdowns scored, with 9 total. Javier Arena's punt return for the touchdown was a beauty, I couldn't believe he got through that scrum in the middle of the field, like a ball in a pinball machine. That was the only bright spot for us in the game.

12-2 is still better than anybody expected for Alabama, especially for a team that's still 2 years away from being fully loaded. Next season will be interesting. Alabama will only have to replace one senior starter on defense (All-American Rashad Johnson). On offense, we'll have to replace 3/5ths of the line plus the quarterback, and our top two tight ends. I think we'll be okay, but don't expect another perfect regular season. We will play Virginia Tech in the season opener at the Georgia Dome though. That should be a better game than Clemson gave us.

Watch out for Ole Miss next season though. I think they can finally beat Alabama then.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

so did ohio state:)

too bad i forcast an ass whooping tonight by the longhorns[:/]

I expect a Buckeye goring tonight by the Longhorns. Have anybody noticed the poor showing by the Big 10 schools in the bowls this year? Only Iowa has won. :S

Oh and do you know that the Mountain West Conference of which Utah is a member, is 6-1 versus the PAC 10 conference this past season, and the PAC 10 conference went 5-0 in their bowls? Go figure. The SEC is a respectable 5-2 in their bowls so far with Florida left to play. I can't believe LSU shut down Georgia Tech as bad as they did, or that Ole Miss blasted Texas Tech. Hell, even Kentucky won their 3rd straight bowl game for only the second time in school history. The first time they did that was when Bear Bryant was the coach there. Yes, THAT legendary Bear Bryant of Alabama lore.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

What the fuck is up with Fox on TV? For some reason, the channel went offline right about the time Texas got knocked 18 yards back on a grounding penalty in the 3rd quarter, and it hasn't come back yet. No other channels are affected. So I'm having to keep checking updates online. >:(:|

What the fuck is up with Fox on TV? For some reason, the channel went offline right about the time Texas got knocked 18 yards back on a grounding penalty in the 3rd quarter, and it hasn't come back yet. No other channels are affected. So I'm having to keep checking updates online. >:(:|

Hmmm...no problems with the broadcast on this end last night.

Hmmm...no problems with the broadcast on this end last night.

Must be a problem with my cable company then. It finally came back on TV with about 40 seconds left with Texas on OSU's 40 yard line, so I at least got to watch them score the game winner, and then the channel went out again right after the kickoff play was called dead with 12 seconds left or so.

Hell, I pay $34 for the basic set up - 50+ channels. I'm happy with it for the most part. This 20+ game-time minute black-out was weird though.

It had better not happen this Thursday during the BCS championship game though. I'll really be pissed. :|