Radiance

Have you ever seen a vehicle like this?

I don't think its a shop, its a van with an integrated boat trailer and boat molded into the van.

I'm trying to find more about it, but I can't quite find the right google words to make it happen.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have seen one about 15 years ago in Anaheim, Ca.

The one that I had seen did not have the boat so well integrated into the back of the van body.

The one you show looks like a nice idea, but it did not turn out so good. I don't think the lines follow through the body very well.

I do remebmer that they started with a 4 wheel drive van. The rear section was discarded along with the original rear drive axle. The 2 new rear axles were unpowered, probably boat trailer axles. So it is driven only from the original front axle.

No, it's not photoshopped, I took the pic myself. The vehicle has been parked in a shopping center across the way from me for about a week now.

Like AggieDave, I've been trying different combinations of words on google to see if I could come up with anything about it, but have had no luck.

I wonder what the point is? I'd love to see it on the inside, but I'd be scared to try and drive it!:D

We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

I have seen one about 15 years ago in Anaheim, Ca.

The one that I had seen did not have the boat so well integrated into the back of the van body.

The one you show looks like a nice idea, but it did not turn out so good. I don't think the lines follow through the body very well.

I do remebmer that they started with a 4 wheel drive van. The rear section was discarded along with the original rear drive axle. The 2 new rear axles were unpowered, probably boat trailer axles. So it is driven only from the original front axle.

was it always parked with a for sale sign on it? I remember always seeing one one of them when I was a bit younger. It was a lot nicer than the one in the picture. I think it was red or something of that color.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Actually shouldn't be an issue if the van was a 3/4 ton or 1-ton work van. Truck axles for 4wd are commonly the same model as the rear but with U-joints added so it can steer. Theres an easy to judge range of weight classes, first to come to mind is the range often used by jeep hackers- Dana 30, (light half ton) Dana 44, (medium) Dana 60 (virtually unbreakable 1-ton, good for duallies). Any video you've ever seen of jeeps with big tires being used violently, the ones that don't break are fitted with dual Dana 60's. Makes the jeep MUCH heavier and slower and requires extensive reinforcement to fit a jeep with axles that heavy, but it doesn't break. Theres many other models but the range is the same...GM 10-bolt, 12-bolt, etc. Some light and medium trucks and jeeps mix em up, Dana 44 rear, Dana 35 front, but with a heavy van/truck its likely to be dual Dana 60's front and rear, either one of which is far stronger than it needs to be. If the guy who built that really cared, he used a 60 up front. Basically if the frontend is on an axle with 8 lugs, it can take being used as front wheel drive. I've seen poorly done hackjobs that made me cringe... a late 70's IH Scout with a built 327 under the hood, beautiful paint and 35" tires, sitting on what looked like spindly little Dana 25's suitable only for a toy like a Geo Tracker. Weakest setup I've ever seen, trailer queen only, guaranteed to fail rapidly if you actually tried to use it for anything or even drive it, let alone go offroad with it. All I could think was the first time somebody stomps the gas on that truck all 4 wheels are going to shear off.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

No, it's not photoshopped, I took the pic myself. The vehicle has been parked in a shopping center across the way from me for about a week now.

Like AggieDave, I've been trying different combinations of words on google to see if I could come up with anything about it, but have had no luck.

I wonder what the point is? I'd love to see it on the inside, but I'd be scared to try and drive it!:D

oh well that just makes it even better though it would be cool if you could still use the boat and use the van as a trailer

Well what about the transfercase. The ones that Ford used in the 90's have a chain to transfer power from the rear output shaft to the front output shaft. I bet this would need to be rebuilt every 30-40k miles for this type of application.

I don't know much about what they used in the 80's though. These boat vans were an 80's thing. I know that if they used a good old unmarried cast iron unit it would be better.

THere are several buttons right under the editing box when you reply

they say

code reply quote u i email url

Just hit the button before the text or the url you are trying to emphasize... put in the text or url.. then hit the button again that has the / in front it to close out the text or url.. it turns off that feature with the /

It was called a "boaterhome" I saw one a gazillion years ago n NEVER thought I would ever see one again lol heres a link

http://boaterhome.org/images/brochure.pdf

I dont know how to make it clicky

Oh my gosh! Thank you!! How amazing that such a thing was manufactured and marketed :D

It's still parked in the parking lot across the street from me....now I am dying to see what it looks like on the inside. Thanks again for the link!B|
We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy.