gitRdone

First motorcycle question for you riders...

Actually, for someone dying to learn on a sport bike, Ninja makes a 250 which is supposed to be a great learning bike. It's at least sport-looking.

But they're not comfortable, and I'm old enough to appreciate being comfortable :ph34r:

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Don't forget the proper gear.... Best bike for the first several 1,000 miles is similar to the one's she will be riding in th class. Buy it used and cheep then sell it after several 1,000 miles. Best way to learn.

Tell he she is invisible and TOTALLY responsible for everything that happens around her, regardless who is to blame. If she needs to use her horn, she is not being proactive.
Dano

Actually, for someone dying to learn on a sport bike, Ninja makes a 250 which is supposed to be a great learning bike. It's at least sport-looking.

But they're not comfortable, and I'm old enough to appreciate being comfortable :ph34r:

Wendy W.

the katana, bandit, and the FZ models are good for getting into the super sport bikes, along with the 250 and 500 ninjas
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Couldn't be said better. Being able to stand flat footed while straddling the bike is so extremely important. If you can't do that you are going to find yourself in deep sh** eventually.

Also, does the course provide the practice bikes or is it her bike? Dropping the bike in class is a huge no no and can result in an instant flunk. Dropping your own bike can result in a flunk, no license, and a lot of expense.

just to add a bit more, the harley sportster line all run in the 800+ cc , I personally think this may be a bit much for a first bike. Like was mentioned earlier a shadow may be a better choice. Something in the 600cc or lower is a better choice for first time riders. Also the bike will weigh close to 550lbs which is something to consider.

+1 a shawdow is a great bike to learn on!
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

The course I took as well as my friends were little 250cc hondas. Figure out what style of bike she wants in the future, a sport bike or cruiser. Regardless, I would still recommend a sport style low CC bike for her first, because it will be lightweight and maneuverable. I have ridden a couple ninja 250s, very nice bikes. Went with a friend and checked out a bike he was interested in buying the other day, its a suzuki gs-500. The power band is similar to the ninja, very predictable. The gs also is a naked bike, my same friend dropped it the other day and only scratched the bar end. By the way, he got it for only $1000, and I cleaned the carbs for him and it runs really sweet now. Look for a bike that has some minor scratches already, because this will reduce the price allot and you are going to drop it at some point anyways.
I would not suggest the sportster at all. I have many miles on a buell XB12s which has the same engine (more power though) better brakes, much better handling, and it is still a bear of a bike. Cruisers just aren't as safe because they lack performance. Sure, they are not usually the people getting killed because they don't want to go fast unlike the sport riders, but it is up to you to keep yourself safe. I doubt she would even be able to pick a sporty up! If she absolutely has to have a cruiser, check out some of the small metric ones like the rebel, and the buell blast. The blast is very light and manageable, but will not be as reliable or long lasting as something japanese.
Also, I find the ninja 250/500 and gs-500 to be very comfortable, and the body position to be relaxed. It won't be an issue.
Make sure she takes the safety course!

I have heard - not experienced - that the pucks add distance to the slide after laydown. Therefore adding risk and danger.

Nah, that's not true. if the bike high sides, all bets are off, but if it's layed down, sliders often take most of the damage or at least keep it rideable.

Kept my swing arm off the ground. It kept my stator cover and much of the plastic off the ground when mine slid out going a little over 30.

Also... the post above mine is good.

We're missing something very important though... Riding gear.

More to follow...
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I stole this snippet from another forum.

Once you've taken and passed the training, you can consider motorcycling on your own. Before you buy a motorcycle, it's time to invest in the rest of your gear. You have the helmet. Now is the time to find good fitting, comfortable and functional riding gear that matches the environment you'll be riding in. If it's not comfortable and functional, you won't wear it, and it will be a waste of money, sitting in your closet while you lie bleeding to death in a ditch. Full racing leathers with a speed hump and chrome graphics may make you feel like you look cool, but will you wear them every day on your daily commute? Will you put them on to go five blocks to your girlfriend's house? What will they smell like after two months? Would you wear them to a restaurant? Good gear should be easy and convenient to put on and take off. It should offer protection from light rain and low temperatures. It should be reasonably comfortable at twenty miles an hour on the hottest day of the year. Washable textile gear is a huge plus. Two piece gear that zips together is a big plus. You'll want warm weather gloves and cold weather gloves, motorcycle specific. You'll want protective and waterproof boots. You can get all of this stuff for around $800-$1000 if you look. Premium items may be more comfortable, more protective and more convenient, and will cost more accordingly. Buy this stuff now, so you're not tempted to spend the money on a motorcycle down payment or on silly accessories for the motorcycle you buy. Good gear will do a bunch of things: save your life in a crash, prevent you from getting in some crashes, enhance your comfort on the bike, extend your riding season and the conditions in which you can ride, protect your street clothes from damage or dirt, and make it possible for you to extend motorcycling into far more of your routine activities. After training, there is no better value for your motorcycling dollar than good gear.

Now it's time to find your motorcycle. Consider the used market if you are mechanically competent enough to identify safety issues, avoid buying a bike from a private seller if you're not. This is your first motorcycle. It's your platform for learning. Err on the side of caution here - go for a bike that's easy to ride, and resilient enough to not get badly damaged if it's knocked over or dropped. A small dual sport motorcycle is ideal, but may be far from your idea of stylish. Don't worry too much about stylish, because a crashed custom Harley or Gixxer looks a heck of a lot less stylish than a functioning dual sport. If a dual sport really isn't your cup of tea, look at small capacity standards like the Suzuki GS500E. These bikes will go anywhere a more expensive bike can go, and have more potential than you will have skill to use for a great many months to come, if not years. When you're tired of them, they sell quickly, or can be traded in for your next motorcycle purchase. That's another thing to remember: If motorcycling is for you, if the two wheel fever really grips you, you will own lots of motorcycles in the future. Don't get too hung up on which one you should buy, because your eye will wander in two years, and there will be another machine to take its place.

~yelow748

Gear is very important. One thing i learned very early on....dont skimp on the helmet, wow does a cheap helmet ever not fit good. find something that fits perfect...trust me, after a 1500mile weekend road trip u'll thank me haha

also to go along with what hookitt has posted, full racing leathers are not nessisary. Both textile jackets and leather jackets have their goods and bads. When leather gets wet it STAYS wet. The good thing about leather is, it is it will offer the most protection hands down. Textile jackets are the most comfortable, warmest and now are made out of gortex like materials which is great (its what i have) the down side is they dont offer as much protection as leather, however they still offer a lot of it. gloves are personal preference but anyone whos taken a bug in the hands knows that gloves are the way to go haha. lots of options again, leather are the best, you can also get some that have carbon fiber knuckels that offer more protection. Boots, you def want something to go above the ankle, if u lay the bike down, ur ankle will be the first thing eating the pavement.
The course is great, it teaches low speed riding which is one of the hardest most important things in recreational riding.

B|

The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I still use leathers. Either a 2 piece riding suit or a jacket and track pants that zip together.

All my gear is armored plus I wear a spine protector. Gloves should be mandatory. Well built and won't fall off the hand when sliding. It needs a wrist strap, not just the cuff.

Full face helmet that fits properly. Many years ago I was in a 65/70 mph crash. The first point of impact was my face. The brunt of it was taken by the chin guard knocking me right out of consciousness. My chin required a few stitches. Not bad really.

The rest of my gear was pretty shredded but my skin was completely intact.

then it did exactally what it was made to do :)
and i second the full helmet, cant figure how people can ride with just a skid lid on, if i go faster then 40mph it bugs the crap out of me, plus i hate getting hit with bugs and crap car drivers throw out the window

Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I say go for the sporty, but get the 883. The 1200 is probably a little much. It's got a pretty high cc rating for a first bike, but due to the heavier weight than an 800 rice rocket, it doesn't have the same get up and go. I got a sporty 1200 for my first bike. Loved it. Comfy enough for longer rides, plenty of oomph to get me on the freeway if I so desired, not a rice rocket, so my nuts are still with me and I didn't have the frequent urge to fly down the road at mach oh my god. Sportys are quite often starter bikes. There's also a honda equivalent, although the name escapes me at the moment and I don't feel like taking the time to look it up.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

O.K. I have to chime in here...

As I read this thread, I noticed no mention of what kind of bike SHE wants?? Being a old sport bike rider, I don't want to come off as prejeduce, but, many of the kids, including my daughter, picture themselves on sport bikes. Is the Sportster the bike she is interested in? Or the one you see her on?

First, encourage her to start small (400c.c. or less) and move up as her experience allows. Then, help her find a bike that fits her (not you)! Also, I can send you some pics of some of my old, ground up and broken helmets. Safety gear is more important than fringe on an expensive leather coat.

Biking is like Jumping... You need to be in it for the long haul. Safety First!
B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

O.K. I have to chime in here...

As I read this thread, I noticed no mention of what kind of bike SHE wants?? Being a old sport bike rider, I don't want to come off as prejeduce, but, many of the kids, including my daughter, picture themselves on sport bikes. Is the Sportster the bike she is interested in? Or the one you see her on?

First, encourage her to start small (400c.c. or less) and move up as her experience allows. Then, help her find a bike that fits her (not you)! Also, I can send you some pics of some of my old, ground up and broken helmets. Safety gear is more important than fringe on an expensive leather coat.

Biking is like Jumping... You need to be in it for the long haul. Safety First!
B|

cc recommendation is dependent upon the bike style. Cruisers are heavier bikes, therefore needing more oomph to push em up the road. I agree with a 400 if she's going the way of the dark side and wanting to hop on a rice rocket. However, if she's going towards cruisers, I'd recommend the sporty 883. The nice thing about em is that you can bore the motor out and turn it into a 1200 when she's ready to move up in class instead of buying a new bike.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I still don't agree that an 800+ c.c motorcycle is a sensible choice of motorcycle..... You probably just had Mad Skilz.

There are really good reasons why a lot of countries have strict limits for learners of motorcycles and canopies!!

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I still don't agree that an 800+ c.c motorcycle is a sensible choice of motorcycle..... You probably just had Mad Skilz.

There are really good reasons why a lot of countries have strict limits for learners of motorcycles and canopies!!

Here's a question... Does she have ANY motorized 2-wheeled vehicle background? Dirt bikes, etc.?

Here in the states, a Sportster is what A LOT of riders start off on. I don't know what the speed limits are out there, but here in the states, a cruiser with 400 cc's would have a hell of a time not being run over on our freeways. some of our freeways have speed limits of 75 mph. (roughly 120 kph)

Here in the states, a Sportster is what A LOT of riders start off on. I don't know what the speed limits are out there, but here in the states, a cruiser with 400 cc's would have a hell of a time not being run over on our freeways. some of our freeways have speed limits of 75 mph. (roughly 120 kph)

Not sure where you drive but I had a 250 Rebel for my first bike. Never had a problem taking it on any freeway, big city or small. Sure you have to realize it 's not going to accelerate fast but I can easily get to 75 and stay there. No problems passing or being passed. The bike isn't going to be pushed off the highway by the wind of a big rig.;)

Not sure where you drive but I had a 250 Rebel for my first bike. Never had a problem taking it on any freeway, big city or small. Sure you have to realize it 's not going to accelerate fast but I can easily get to 75 and stay there. No problems passing or being passed. The bike isn't going to be pushed off the highway by the wind of a big rig.;)

I got my license in California. Freeway limit is posted at 65, assumed at 75-80. My rule of thumb is go slightly faster than traffic, that way I don't have anyone coming up behind me. Before making that decision, I was being cut off, tailgated, etc. far more than I was comfortable with. I don't trust any drivers of 4-wheeled vehicles while on the bike, but that's especially true in California. many of the drivers out there hate motorcyclists. Some because we can cut lanes and get places faster, some for other reasons.

I rode of freeways a lot though. In California, they don't make room for you. The power to get up to speed has to be there. Most accidents aren't caused by rider error.

That being said, although my first bike was a 1200 cc Sporty, right now I have a 400cc honda VFR. I'm not a big fan of the rice rockets, but it's what was available. $900 wasn't too bad. Keeps me riding, which keeps my skills up. The 400 cc rice rocket I have now has plenty of get up and go to do what an 800 harley would. Different bikes though. Different weights, gear ratios, etc. I would never make a recommendation for a rice rocket over 500 cc's for a first time rider. The recommendation was for the cruiser side of the house.

lol last summer I saw a girl on a crotch rocket that could only put 1 foot down. It looked ridiculously unsafe.

Have you seen the size of Danny Pedrosa;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?