guppie01

Small Airport Restaurants

I love eating at small airport restaurants... there is just something very cool about sitting down, eating, and watching all the planes take off/land. Guessing who owns the pretty jets, listening to the old timers chat, etc.

Last night I went to dinner at the 94th Aero Squadron at the Van Nuys airport.

I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant if anyone is in the LA area and is looking for good food and an awesome airport experience.

Anyone else have good small airport rest recommendations???

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

If you're not familiar, Van Nuys Airport has TONS of history behind it. very cool place. If you're a flying buff, rent, steal or buy One Six Right, it's all about that airport:

http://www.terwilligerproductions.com/onesixright/

This has probably been posted before, but it is pretty cool.

edit: Also in the LA area check out Santa Paula Airport (SZP). There is a good restaurant there (french toast is amazing) and they have TONS of WWI era aircraft. Everyone brings their planes out the first sunday of the month, very cool!

http://www.amszp.org/
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

The Ding A Ling in Hollister is delicious, but prepare to deal with the repercussions... they often come 2-3 hours after eating it, and most likely while on the ride to altitude.

Also, the Cafe in Belen, New Mexico is always delicious and full of old-timers chattin' it up.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

LOL Steve and I have been waiting for Twardo - we promised we'd take him there next time he was in town - we couldn't wait any longer, we took my cousin who was visiting! :ph34r:

I want to go back during the day/sunset time and hang out on the patio.

What a cool freakin place!

g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
OMG, is she okay?

If you're not familiar, Van Nuys Airport has TONS of history behind it. very cool place. If you're a flying buff, rent, steal or buy One Six Right, it's all about that airport:

http://www.terwilligerproductions.com/onesixright/

This has probably been posted before, but it is pretty cool.

edit: Also in the LA area check out Santa Paula Airport (SZP). There is a good restaurant there (french toast is amazing) and they have TONS of WWI era aircraft. Everyone brings their planes out the first sunday of the month, very cool!

http://www.amszp.org/

LOL I think we posted it at the same time... I was turned on to this airport by Harry Leicher. It's amazing to walk around the hangers and see the old planes. Crazy busy airport too, considering there is no control tower.

You are right the breakfasts ROCK!

I love their museum, and the history of the airport!

g
OMG, is she okay?

LOL Steve and I have been waiting for Twardo - we promised we'd take him there next time he was in town - we couldn't wait any longer, we took my cousin who was visiting! :ph34r:

I want to go back during the day/sunset time and hang out on the patio.

What a cool freakin place!

g

He said he'd let me know the next time they were here. Call me, I'll meet ya there.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

My dad used to keep a light plane there back in the day when we were down south, used to go there almost every weekend. Loads of fun and good memories! We moved and he sold the plane >:(

So there I was...

Love them!!!

There was one close to work where we would lunch once in a while... Trenton-Mercer airport... it was so cool. They had nightlife too... bands, parties, etc. Kinda geared towards the more mature crowd but it was still fun.... Sadly it closed a couple of years ago...

And there was just an article in our local paper about Hammonton Municipal Airport, a few miles from my house (yay!). We're getting a restaurant.. it's under construction right now. Another big YAY!
Always be kinder than you feel.

[:/] Too bad! Well it's only a 6 hour drive now.. :ph34r:;)

I'm pretty lucky, I work/live 15-20 minutes from Camarillo. Van Nuys is about 30 minutes (in good traffic), and Santa Paula is about 45 minutes. All three very cool airports!

I can't remember the name of the airport, but it's off I-5 midway between LA/San Fran and it's supposedly a hot spot for private pilots to stop for lunch/dinner. My sweetie keeps promising to fly me there... :D

g
OMG, is she okay?

Brenham, Texas, west of Houston. They have a 1950's theme restaurant, that draws people from far and wide. Waitresses in poodle-skirts, juke box song selection machines at each booth, and burgers and milkshakes that are the best anywhere.

Awww, that sounds great!

Oh, another goodie (not really an airport rest), but when we were in Pagosa Springs there was a Brew Garden near the airport that all the pilots would hang out at - good fun!

g
OMG, is she okay?

Why yes. Yes you did... LOL. ;):)

Another one is Pepper Garcia's at Santa Maria Airport. Easy flight from So. Cal and decent food.

Santa Barbara Airport has an Elephant Bar on the field.

Now, where's that lottery ticket? :P:P

We should hit Donovan up when he gets back from M.E.

xoxo
g
OMG, is she okay?

Was flying back from Pepper Garcia's with a buddy of mine while in high school (he started flying @ 16) back to CMA (which has a nice restaurant by the transient parking, good hot dogs!) anyway we're in a 172, just reach an altitude of like 9K heading down south. We spot a brushfire in the condor reserve and call it in, and see little lights heading where we had identified the issue. That was pretty cool.

He is feeling really good about himself when my garcia's decides to say hello. I let loose a long hot one- don't think i've ever seen him so p*ssed, and I can't stop laughing. "You do that again and you'll never fly with me, I'm kicking you out of this f*ckin thing!!!" etc. etc. took a good 5 minutes to clear with both windows open!:D

After he cooled off, we then discuss skydiving since he had threatened to kick me out of the plane. I remember looking out the window and down and saying "No f*cking way... maybe ONCE to see what it is like, but that's it! To hazardous of an environment, way way too scary and dangerous to do more than once!"

Ahhh, how times change...

Edit: Harris Ranch= BOMB!!!! just hope that the winds are blowing to the east or to the north when you go... otherwise you'll have the lingering aroma of fresh cow manure

So there I was...

Brenham

Sometimes they're billed as the home of the $300 hamburger. It's a popular destination for cross-countries, so after rental time and fuel, that's about the cost of the burger :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)