lawrocket

Madden Retires

I just heard that John Madden plans to retire.

He's about 75 years old now and I guess the time is right. But the man's impact on the game has been pretty incredible.

Think of his journey in football. He was named Raiders head coach when he was 32 in 1969 (so I guess he's about 73 now). As head coach, he won over 100 games in ten years, losing only about 30. I believe he STILL has the highest winning percentage as a head coach in NFL history. He retired as a coach at the age of 42 due to ulcers and, from what he wrote, because of his heartbreak in coping with Daryl Stingley's paralysis. He was finally put in the Hall of Fame as a coach just a couple of years ago. (His nickname by the players was "Pinky" because of how he turned bright red when he got mad.)

He is better known for his broadcasting style and for the Madden video game.

You will be missed. I'm sure Frank Caliendo will miss him, too.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Now there's a guy that when he retires, he stops working in the field that that he worked in, and that's retirement and nothing beats it better that Tough Actin' Tinactin!,
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hi law,

I do not think anyone could see what else is going on the field like Madden could. Most of us just watched the ball & the main portion of the play, but Madden watched the entire field and would comment on how some 'whatever' on the other side of the field effected the play.

Probably why he was such a great coach.

He will be missed,

JerryBaumchen