nerdgirl

Paint sprayer vs rollers & brushes

Since I used to work in a body and paint shop, I figured I could use the sprayer. Boy was I wrong. It's a totally different beast. Runs all over. One thing to remember about spraying: it get's EVERYWHERE! I knew that from before, but I was trying to flip this rental, so i just masked the floor and sprayed. Looking at that picture, I would not recommend spraying at all. I see cabinets.

Spray cons: you have to thin the paint with water to get it through the pump ( bad) then the tedious clean up. Sometimes clean up takes longer than the job itself.

If you have to thin your latex paint to make it go thru the sprayer, your using the wrong type of sprayer. All latexes are formulated to be pumped thru an airless sprayer, no thinning necessary. Also, I'm curious what cleanup you're talking about. Generally, pumping a gallon of water through the rig cleans it right up. Airless paint sprayers are useful tools, I own around 30.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

and seriously Marg, think of the exercise you'll get rolling vs, spraying! Free workout!

:P

I actually like painting (weird, i know) and i always use a roller and brushes, mainly because while i enjoy painting, i HATE prep and cleanup.

:D

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

One word of caution, get yourself a bunny-suit, and a canister respirator. And when you're done you'll look like this...

Uh-oh! :o

Nope ... not quite a look I want to be sporting ... especially considering I'm going to be painting variuous shades of purple, blue, and green, including darks.

Thanks for the comments!

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

and seriously Marg, think of the exercise you'll get rolling vs, spraying! Free workout!

:P

Just one more "+" for rollers and brushes over sprayer. :)
After all of the comments here and consideration of the type of painting I'm going to be doing (small spaces, dark colors, not often), I'm going to go with rollers and brushes.

Really appreciated the comments, hints, experiences, and suggestions!

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

One word of caution, get yourself a bunny-suit, and a canister respirator. And when you're done you'll look like this...

I understand that is how Marcel Marceau got his start.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Looking at that picture, I would not recommend spraying at all. I see cabinets.

Yes. And lots of exposed beams and ducts. (It's a loft converted from an early 20thC factory.)

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

Boy howdy that's a lot of white there...

But look at all the places to put a swing :)
Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I bought a Wagner power painter 20-odd years ago and used it to paint a large part of my house.

Pros:
very even paint distribution.
took less than an hour to paint 2 large rooms
used very little paint (paint is diluted with water)
2nd coat also went well
coverage and finish was immaculate

Cons:
noisiest fucking machine I ever used
Fills the entire room with a fine mist of paint spray
You have to mask off ANYTHING that you do not want covered in paint spray or mist, including the rest of the house.
took more time to mask everything off than it would have just paint the friggin' rooms with a roller.

So I sold it.

it is fast and does a great job, but the prep work was not worth it. Buy good brushes ($5-$7 each), not the expensive ones ($20 each), and the same for rollers.

Use latex paint ONLY, oil-based is not worth the hassle unless you have a specific need for oil paint.

Buy good paint, cheap paint is simply a pain in the ass.

Use masking tape/blue tape. plan two coats on everything. Spend the time plastering and filling cracks, sanding and the job will look great.

I fucking hate painting, but I am pretty good at it.

We did use a power roller when we were at the max; it was pretty good, but not worth it if we weren't going to spend all day painting. And we found that we could cover a lot of territory just painting after work for an hour. All of a sudden, the job left for the weekend wasn't so awful then.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Boy howdy that's a lot of white there...

That big ol' 30+ft white wall I'm not touching, except for a few touch up spots from when the stagers moved out their furniture.

But look at all the places to put a swing :)

Yes, there are. ;) Altho' my first plan in to hang Tibetan Buddhist prayer flags, altho' prolly not that many. B|

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

So -- you going to start watching HGTV, with all the home improvement, decoration & buying/selling shows? You know you want to :P

Wendy P.

So -- you going to start watching HGTV, with all the home improvement, decoration & buying/selling shows? You know you want to :P

Whatever HGTV desires I may or may not have will be negated by the fact that I don't have cable. :P
Maybe I can download the good ones ... any recommendations? B|

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

Thanks again for all the advice and hints both posted here and via PMs.

The one tool that I found that was very useful was a yoke-style paint roller framer with a mechanism to lock the roller in/pop it out (rather than pulling it over a metal cage.) Might not be an issue for men or stronger women but getting the used rollers off the frame was a messy pain for me. Next up: painting the concrete floor. :)
/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

Yes, there are. ;) Altho' my first plan in to hang Tibetan Buddhist prayer flags, altho' prolly not that many. B|

/Marg

Am I the only one to think that just looks like laundry day?:|

Prolly not. :D

Can't find anyone of my pics from Swayambhunath Stupua in Kathmandu on this computer ... but a lot of places in the Buddhist world make that original pic look sparse w/r/t number of prayer flags.

I love them! :)
/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

On a single job (rebuilding a shed) we tried a High-Volume Low-Pressure ("home") sprayer, roller and brushes, and a airless compressor.

The home sprayer was so bad, we gave up and went to roller and brushes. A coat w/ roller and brushes took 3hrs 15min. Renting an airless compressor was not cheap, but each coat took 15min. Allowed us to finish inside and out of the shed in a day.

Some caveats:
- Paint will go everywhere. Literally. Your floor, windows, clothes etc will have a spattering of very fine paint droplets. The droplets are so fine that they seem to hang in the air for a few seconds, allowing them to drift onto anything.
- It uses a quite lot of paint.
- If you're doing this indoors, I would highly recommend some very serious breathing protection gear.

I wouldn't tackle a large painting job without one ever again, but I'd be very careful about using one indoors, and I'd talk to someone that knows a lot more than I.

I've painted a couple of houses and have always used brushes and rollers. SOme of those edging tools work good doing the ceiling wall junction but I use a brush to do the trim.

Get a couple of good cloth dropcloths. I have a long one that is about 3 feet wide and another that is about 12 x 14 feet. I like cloth better than plastic.

I'm also in the habit of taking off my shoes as I leave the dropcloth to go to another part of the house. That way I won't track paint onto a carpet or flooring.

Prep work is the key to a good paint job! It is very important to use primer over areas that you have filled such as a nail pop in drywall. After hammering the nail head down and filling the hole and sanding it until it is nice and smooth put some primer on it to seal the surface of the patching material. If you don't prime the patches they will be obvious after you paint them. Be sure you remove any loose paint, sand the whole surface, clean it off real well to remove any sanding dust and you can do a very professional looking job.

Good luck!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I use my airless sprayer for big jobs, like an entire house without carpeting, and for intricate railings and doors. I can do okay with a roller on walls and ceilings, but I suck at brush painting doors. Take 'em down and bring out the sprayer.

Prep time is big for spraying, but cleaning the machine is not too hard.

First thing I do is spread paint all over my body. THEN I go to work.

Same thing when I work on the car...spread oil and grease on myself first.

I mean, WTH? I can't prevent it from happening anyway no matter what simple thing I'm doing so go with the flow....right?
:D:D[:/]

My damn brother is one of those people who can remove an engine, repair it and put it back in and then just lightly wash his hands and be done with it. Not me, though. Oh no, no, no, no, no.

Just opening a can pf paint means a complete body scrub for me.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239