shropshire

Shropshire & Millies' big walk ..... Day #0

O.K I've been banging on about it for a week or so; I've completed all my training sessions; the dog as had a good trim, to keep her cool and I've packed my rucksack and ready to go.....

I'll update the thread when I next get to a P.C

0 miles down...... 177 to go.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

What about her rucksack? Make the bitch carry some of her own food!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If she was younger and larger (she's a Springer mix) maybe.

Oh, okay. Makes sense. This sounds like a wonderful adventure. Are you going to be able to share photos/stories on the way or do we have to wait 17 days for the news?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'll probably not get chance ... but will try.

Thanks everyone.

Bye f'now.

Nah, unplug... this sounds like the perfect trip to do so!

If she was younger and larger (she's a Springer mix) maybe.

Springer mix.... Likes to eat anything huh???? :P
We had a couple of those Spingers and they ate EVERYTHING, including bread still in the plastic bag :D:D:D

Anyway, have a good hike mate B|
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

So, how/s the walk going? You should be 8 days into the 15, if my reckoning's right :)

he wont have online access will he???
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi All,

Well, I'm back home. I didn't complete the entire walk (I've run out of time for now due to poor weather and a potential job interview).

I walked for 105 miles over 8 days and so have a few more days required to complete the full 'trail'.

The weather has been mixed, from rally nice to awful (thunderstorms today and likely to be wet for most of this week and truely bad last weekend, when the S&R helicopters were out, picking runners from the mountains of North Wales and Millie and I made our own way home like drowned rats).

It was a priveledge to walk through some fantastic scenery and I'll be back to complete the ODP sometime in mid July.

Anyways up, I'm in the process of picking out some photos to show you and will post them over the next couple of days.

Oh and I lost 2.1Kgs (4.6 lbs) so it was well worth the efforts.

(.)Y(.)

Day #1 started very early, so that we could catch the bus to town and then a couple of trains down to South Wales (Chepstow) where the Southern end of the Offa's Dyke Path (ODP) starts.

The forcast was good (for the next couple of days!!) and the early morning sun was warm (yes in the U.K).

After arriving in Chepstow we walked the couple of miles to the start of the Path and after taking a few photos, we kicked of the 1st stage just before 11:30.

My pack was quite heavy (I was 92Kgs Out-of-the-Door!! weighing in at 74.5 Kgs myself) as I was carrying food for myself and Millie and a lot of water.

The day took us through some quite different sacenery, town, open fields and fantastic woodland. On route, we took some time out to visit Tintern Abbey, where I took some photos and we both had a well deserved ice cream.

I had planned the route by means of a guide book, that suggested the 1st stage of just over 17 miles ... this proved to be too optimistic for us old gits and we eventually called it a day at half past eight after walking for 13 miles and averaging 2.5 m.p.h for the day.

We found a loverly spot to wild camp for the night, in the woods. The night air was a lot cooler than earlier and filled with the deliteful sounds of bird song (it's great to hear just Owls and beasties and no traffic). Even through the bird song we slept like logs and had the most peaceful sleep for ages..Zzzzzzzz

(.)Y(.)

...after walking for 13 miles and averaging 2.5 m.p.h for the day.

We found a loverly spot to wild camp for the night, in the woods. The night air was a lot cooler than earlier and filled with the deliteful sounds of bird song (it's great to hear just Owls and beasties and no traffic). Even through the bird song we slept like logs and had the most peaceful sleep for ages..Zzzzzzzz

13 miles is a darned good hike. I'm surprised they expect people to make 17 in a day. Most people can't do that.

Sounds lovely. It's getting too darned hot now here in Texas for decent hiking and camping. So I'll enjoy your story and photos.

Cute dog. How old is Millie?