banesanura

Replacing Car Keys

It's not a caddy. It's a 01 focus.

I bought the car when I was 17 lost the original and now I lost the spare.

I lost it and realized when it was 5am and needed to get into my house. Good thing I have a gimpy window and I rolled it down- curled into my back seat and went to sleep until like 9 am and rang the door bell until the apt down stairs let me in.

Then I had to break down my front door.

Suckfest.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

Has anyone had to replace their car keys?

I'm looking into trying to get a new set I lost in a cab.

I have the chip in my key so I'm already bracing myself for the heavy price tag....

Have you contacted the cab company to see if they found them? Try that first.

Good luck!
'Shell

Go to the dealership
Provide Proof that the car is yours
Fill out paperwork
Print key
Pay Dealership

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I was going to tell you to just leave the window rolled down...then you'd be able to get in and not need a key:)
But I'm now guessing you might want to start the car and drive it sometime:|

DUH!!!!!!!!

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

If you can get the door panel off, or if it's a hatchback the panel on it, remove a door or hatch lock mechanism. It's usually pretty easy as they are usually held in place with a simple clip. If you have a locking glove box or console, see if you can remove the lid. Then you only have to give the lock to a locksmith & he can make a new key from it much MUCH cheaper than most Ford dealers will (even in the old Dodge/Plymouth world we've heard about the Ford dealers extortion-like prices for new keys).
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Getting into the car is the easy part. I just push down my back window and unlock.

The key itself is a transponder key which is gonna be a bitch to replace because they are going to have to clear the chip in my car.

Since there are thousands of cabs throughout the city of chicago, I don't even think about which one I get into. I just raise my hand and get in.

I have my slave calling every cab company in chicago, put an ad on craigslist, and checking out lost and found directories.

Oh and it gets better.

Guess who has a locking gas cap?!
Best Girl Scout Ever.

Gas cap should be easy to pick... I doubt it has more than 3 or 4 pins. Then just remove the lock.

Any good locksmith can get into the locking gascap in a couple minutes. If you take the car to him (after you get a new ignition key) it shouldn't be too much.

The new key with the chip ain't gonna be cheap, but they should be able to take your VIN (serial number) and match both the key and chip.

I don't know a whole lot about the new keys, but is the chip absolutely necessary? Does it de-activate an anti theft system, or is it just a convienience thing, with the remote built into it?

The Porsche dealer didn't cut a new key, they just took the VIN (and proof of ownership) and got me a new key(no chip). I can't see Ford being any different.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Gas cap should be easy to pick... I doubt it has more than 3 or 4 pins. Then just remove the lock.

Any good locksmith can get into the locking gascap in a couple minutes. If you take the car to him (after you get a new ignition key) it shouldn't be too much.

I don't ever pay someone to do something I can do myself :)

alrighty. It seems that I'm gonna have to dish out 150 bucks (thats the cheapest place I can find)

Every other place wanted 300 plus.

BUT what I did learn is that I'm gonna tape the original transponder key near my ignition. Make like 29340293840 copies of it. And then if I lose em, no big deal.

Info about transponder keys.

Caddy's and Acura's have the same type of keys. Which makes it harder to steal. WTF? WHo wants to steal my focus?[email]

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/security/keys.html

I think after the car ages like 7 years the transponders should crash.

Effing geyh

I'm just gonna break my gas cap off and buy a new one....or steal it. hahahahhaha
Best Girl Scout Ever.