mik

The consequences of jumping in turbulence (pics)

Can someone clarify how turbulence is caused at 3000 feet? I think I understand the basics (trees, buildings, etc blocking wind) but what is the cause that high up?

Wind shear can also cause turbulence. This spring we had some really strange winds at the DZ, with several layers of wind going in different directions. Sometimes (but not always) the boundary between these winds had lots of turbulence.

I question if this was completely due to turbulence also. To me that second picture looks like a inflated canopy with left toggle input which suggests that the turn might have been started by a gust but was most likely accelerated by pilot input. I think someone already pointed it out but the pilot looks to be "flailing" also suggesting a panic mentality that could have resulted in a reaction that worsened the situation.

This is of course my opinion feel free to disagree.

I would suggest that the speed with which this event happened did not allow much time for flailing, panic or anything else. As mentioned previously, I reckon a max of 1-2 seconds from the initial canopy collapse to impact.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

the guy in the pic does appear to be in an awkward position just prior to impact that's what caused me to question pilot input prior or during his encounter with the turbulence....

I understand there's only 2 things you can do when you're that low and you have a collapse, jack and shit....as someone else pointed out though the canopy appears to be in a left turn configuration and it's diving/out flying the pilot.....was trying to figure out if the guy got all panicky and cranked some toggles...that's why i asked if the OP actually saw it go down or was some pics from his dz as he stated and heard about the incident...I understand ideally you want full flight to ensure optimum pressure of your canopy through the turbulence but at some point you have to flare before you meet the ground which requires some sort of input, ultimately effecting the way your canopy recovers or.....doesn't if you have already impacted mom earth

also understand how fast it can all go down as well, I learned the through the school of hard knocks how bad low turbulence can make your landing..matter of fact when it happened to me, you had just landed doing video and actually filmed me pounding in or just after... i was stupefied and my ears were ringing from the impact...first thing i remember hearing was you asking me how much i wanted for my gear:D

and squeak..:P whatever bro...you will not get a rise from the fish head

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

So sorry to see these pics, I'm just grateful the poor guy wasn't killed.

Days like this are the days when experienced jumpers sit back and watch everyone else get experience.

How true. I load a Velo at 2:1 and still make myself an observer in most winds above 20mph. Breaking hurts, and fixing is expensive.

I can always drink beer.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

So sorry to see these pics, I'm just grateful the poor guy wasn't killed.

Days like this are the days when experienced jumpers sit back and watch everyone else get experience.

How true. I load a Velo at 2:1 and still make myself an observer in most winds above 20mph. Breaking hurts, and fixing is expensive.

I can always drink beer.;)

I tell younger jumpers if you see us all out front with lawn chairs and cameras you should probably reconsider jumping.

Just before the incident, low jump number jumpers were arguing with dz control that they were happy with the conditions and did not believe they should be grounded

One time at Zhills a guy with 60 jumps was bitching to me about how the DZ suggested that he not jump due to the winds. They guy that suggested he sit down have 8k jumps and at the time I had 2k and we both were sitting down.

He said, "When will people quit treating me like a damn student!!!"

I said, "When you quit acting like a damn student."
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Can someone clarify how turbulence is caused at 3000 feet? I think I understand the basics (trees, buildings, etc blocking wind) but what is the cause that high up?

Cumulonimbus can cause turbulence... in a big way!
The one and only time I jumped when their was some monster cumulonimbus in the very near area to our exit, I had a canopy collapse at about 400 feet, straight in approach, very hard diving turn induced to the right was the result . Luckily I had more height than the poor guy shown in these scary pictures and just managed to level the wing out prior to a downwinder which was my only option as I was so low andf freaked out. (I love downwinders usually but not like that!) *I stopped the turn at about 90 degrees but the canopy was still diving*
Now I have no hesitation to pull myself off a load in uncertain weather conditions.

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Cumulonimbus