grimmie

Hockey Playoffs...

Go Canes...OT just starting!

Edited to add: 18:46 Scott Walker wins it for the Canes!

What a great game!

The Wings/Ducks was also excellent...these games were everything that yesterday's Game 7 wasn't.

Pens-Canes

I like the Canes chances against the Pens. They have a good solid team and maybe the best goaltenderleft in the playoffs.

Wings-Hawks

Hard to see the Hawks beating the Wings but Khabibulin is pretty solid...Toews and Patrick Kane excellent young players. I'm hoping the youth of the Hawks will enable them to wear out some of the old guys on the Wings ;)

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Canes did it! Wings, too!

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Did you get the feeling that things were slipping away for the Wings when the Ducks tied it up in the third? I honestly thought the Ducks were going to pull it off....there was no quit in them at all.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I thought for sure they were gonna pull it out, had a ton of momentum in the third.

I was pretty happy to see the canes beat the bruins, it was a good game.

These 2 games were what game 7s are supposed to be!!!!

The next series i think detroit has, and the pens and canes i think will be another long one, dont know who to pick but the pens are on a roll right now and crosby is playing some of his best hockey...should be a gooder series,!!!!
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

Canes did it! Wings, too!

Chuck

Hey Chuck,

Did you get the feeling that things were slipping away for the Wings when the Ducks tied it up in the third? I honestly thought the Ducks were going to pull it off....there was no quit in them at all.

Oh, heck yeah! The Wings started to look a bit tired in the third but, the Ducks looked like they did in the first period... like the Energizer Bunny! I thought it was all over but the tears, for the Wings. Hiller was really mad that that last goal was 'good' but the puck was free at the time. Kind of a pay-back for Detroit's 'no goal' in game 3. Now, we'll have an 'Original Six Western Conferance' finals! That, will be another good series.

Chuck

The Ducks had that game won. They played undiciplined hockey.

Detroit is the best overall team, but they don't look as strong as they did last year. Datsuyk looks injured.

The Hawks have great young talent. They will come at Detroit hard all series and the "Bulin Wall" is a much better goalie than Ozzie.

The Pens and the 'Canes were the two hottest teams in the league down the strech of the regular season.

Ward is a better goalie than MAF. The Pens have WAY too much firepower for the Canes "D" to handle.

As usual it will all come down to the goalies.

All four teams are no surprise to be in the final four.

I like the Pens for it all. Yes I know I'm a huge fan of theirs, but I think there is one difference this year. Dan Bylsma. He's "unleashed the hounds" to play firewagon hockey when needed. If Sid and Geno play like they have been it will be lights out for the Canes.

Gotta love this time of the playoffs!!!!B|

I heard the 'stat' again tonight that I was struggling with on pg. 14 of this thread... Had Boston won tonight, it would have been the first time in their history to come from a 3-1 deficit and win a play-off series. Canes blew that idea for them!

Chuck

The Ducks had that game won. They played undiciplined hockey.

Detroit is the best overall team, but they don't look as strong as they did last year. Datsuyk looks injured.

The Hawks have great young talent. They will come at Detroit hard all series and the "Bulin Wall" is a much better goalie than Ozzie.

The Pens and the 'Canes were the two hottest teams in the league down the strech of the regular season.

Ward is a better goalie than MAF. The Pens have WAY too much firepower for the Canes "D" to handle.

As usual it will all come down to the goalies.

All four teams are no surprise to be in the final four.

I like the Pens for it all. Yes I know I'm a huge fan of theirs, but I think there is one difference this year. Dan Bylsma. He's "unleashed the hounds" to play firewagon hockey when needed. If Sid and Geno play like they have been it will be lights out for the Canes.

Gotta love this time of the playoffs!!!!B|

Detroit out-played the Ducks and played 'their' game. The Ducks didn't quit and kept trying.

Detroit was 4-2 in the regular season against "Bulin' and co. Losing the last two home-home games of the season to Chicago. It's been a loooooong time since these two teams have met in the play-offs. It's gonna be a good series, no doubt!

I'm not a Pens fan or a Canes fan but, I'm going to stick my neck-out and say Pens in seven.

A repeat of last year in the finals. How's that?:D

Chuck

I heard the 'stat' again tonight that I was struggling with on pg. 14 of this thread... Had Boston won tonight, it would have been the first time in their history to come from a 3-1 deficit and win a play-off series. Canes blew that idea for them!

Chuck

That's right...they mentioned before overtime that the Bruins were 0-20 (or 0-39 can't remember which) coming back from 3-1 and had only once before forced a Game 7.

I always hate it when they mention stats like that because streaks always come to an end...plus they were mentioning that Cam Ward was 3-0 in Game 7s....so I figured the Canes were jinxed.

Cam will have his work cut out for him against the Pens but I do believe that if he gets hot he is good enough to steal the series from the Pens.
--
Murray

I get so tired of sports commentators in general with all their stats. The way I see 'stats' is, Any team can beat any other team on any given day! All those stats don't mean a thing.
That's just going to be a good series! Both those teams are lit-up like a Christmas tree and the Canes have gained a lot of confidence... just getting past Boston! Boston was what? #-1 over all in the East? #-1's just haven't faired well.:D

Chuck

Ducks/Wings 7

Good game!! A real nail-biter at times. By far it was the loudest crowd I've heard in the 4 playoff games I've attended at Joe Louis Arena this spring.

Helm, Hudler, Samuelsson, Cleary. Unless you're an avid hockey follower, these names aren't really well known outside of Detroit. Last night was just another testimony to the Wings depth. Depth that's critically needed at a time when Detroits' "stars" are exhibiting such lackluster playoff performances.

IMHO, it would have been a much shorter series if Getzlaf, Perry and Niedermayer were as non-productive as Detroit's big guns have been in these playoffs.

That said..... GO WINGS !!!:D

Edit: to add pics

aloha.

Was a great game and an even better series. I'm very much proud of my home team and what they were able to do in the post season.

Even with all the face washing, elbows, dirty plays, diving, fighting, etc... it's awesome to see the players shake hands at the end of every game.

Hockey is truly the most incredible sport ever invented. :)
Good job Wings but now I must root for Chicago. :P

www.FourWheelerHB.com

Was a great game and an even better series. I'm very much proud of my home team and what they were able to do in the post season.

You should be very proud brother! The Ducks really made the Wings work for it and gave this Detroiter some hair pulling moments. I personally am looking forward to watching Hiller's career blossom--WOW.

I'm sure I'll regret saying this, but it's honest; the pending series against Chicago feels kind of anti-climatic to me.

aloha.

Good pictures!
All in all, it was a good, hard fought series. I can't say much for the officiating but, it seemed to work both ways. I kinda felt bad for Hiller... he looked like, he'd been slapped for fartin' at the supper table! He has nothing to be ashamed of! For a rookie? He held-off the Sharks and did his best with the Wings... helluva job!
I'm looking forward to the Wings Blackhawks series... Original Six match-up! This is the best I've seen the Blackhawks in years. With the addition of Toews and Kane, they have some good scoring power.
You're right! Unless, you are a follower of the Wings, those names are foreign to most folks. They all, did a damned good job. Especially Ozzie! He was really having troubles during the regular season but, he's been shining in the play-offs.

Chuck

Hiller did a remarkable job and was the best player in the playoffs through round two. He has one of the best glove hands I have ever seen.

But he felt bad because the game winning goal was his fault although I think Franzen dumped the puck into the crease when he saw Hiller look away which is a testament to his skills as a player.

IMO Osgood stole that last game with the huge save he made in the 1st. After that the Ducks lost their momentum and couldn't get back what they had the first 5 minutes of the game.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Oh hell yeah! For a rookie in his first play-offs, he was un-believable! Like I said earlier, Hiller has absolutely nothing to be ashamed. I'm sure, he does feel bad about the game winning goal. He thought he had it under his pad but, not quite. I've seen that happen many times. Wait till next season! Hiller will be like Gibralter!

It seemed that the Ducks just kept coming back, coming back. they were like the Energizere Bunny! They'd look a bit tired then pour-on some more. I know, there's a lot of pride in their locker room and they don't quit. They played a helluva series... no denying that!:D

You're taking Chicago in the next round? They're another darned good team and it's going to be another good-good series! Original Six teams... been a long time.

Chuck

I think both of the remaining series have pretty good upset potential.

The Hawks are young, talented and don't know they should be scared. Khabibulin has woon a Cup before with Tampa so they should get good goaltending.

'Canes are a good solid team with maybe the best goaltender left in the playoffs. (Of the goaltenders left playing only Marc Andre Fleury hasn't won a Cup....but he has been to the finals. ) The Hurricanes didn't have any big names when they won the Cup the first time but they played a good tight game with good goaltending. We shall see soon enough.

All we can hope for is for some great hockey the rest of the way.
--
Murray

Detroit and Chicago go waaaaay back and it's always exciting to watch those two teams play each other. The Blackhawks have some experienced players who should keep the young players calm and steady. Ozzie has faced Khabibulin many times in the past. Also, the Blackhawks can cause sheer misery for the Wings. they are one of those teams that'll sneak-up on you and catch you off guard.
Canes and Pens... another good match-up.
I don't think, we have to hope too hard. I think, we're looking at two, seven game series and some real nail-biters.

Chuck

Sure hope you're right about the seven game series Chuck. What impressed me about the Hawks was the way they came from behind in their games against the Canucks. They won't quit. I think they will give Detroit a really good battle.

I was just reading about Paul Maurice. I didn't remember that he took the Canes to the Finals in 2002 and they lost to the Wings. So...if he can get the Canes there he'll be wanting a little redemption ;)

--
Murray

If, I wanted a guarantee, I'd buy a toaster.:D This is a pretty good hunch from watching these four teams. With the salary cap, teams have come so close to being equal. The Canes have throttled-up as well as the Pens. I really look to see some good stuff with those two and some real nail-biters in the series..
The Blackhawks and Wings haven't met in the Conferance finals since 1959! There's a lot of animosity between these two teams. The Wings beat the Blackhawks at Wrigley Field in the Winter Classic and over the years, wins have gone back and forth. The Blackhawks finally, got a coach in Quenville. look what he did at St. Louis! More nail-biters here.
For anyone who loves hockey, I think, these will be the best two series yet. It just gets better!

Chuck

What is going to make the Wings Blackhawks series so 'interesting' is, the Blackhawks have Scotty Bowman! He knows the Wings organization inside and out. This, could give the Blackhawks a 'big' edge. Chicago will go into game 1 with 5-days rest and the Wings will have had only 2-days. Chicago, could have an edge in this series. Also, the average age of the Blackhawks is early 20's.
Detroit will have to rely on depth, experience, controlling the neutral zone and strong defense. I think, this series is going to be 'high speed'! Also, the first game of this series will be a 'matinee' game. The Wings struggle with 'matinees'.
It's gonna be GOOD!

Chuck

Detroit will have to rely on depth, experience,

Which almost always beat youth and inexperience. I think the Wings will advance past Chicago pretty easily.

And I hope the league reviews the officiating in the Wings-Ducks series. The two blown calls literally gave Game 5 to the Ducks, and the goalie interference call on Hudler could have given them Game 7 as well. Everything on the ice needs to be reviewable.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."