Elisha

Skydivers descending on S.F. for promotion

Is this real? Doesn't seem plausible w/o disaster to me. Maybe I'm just out of the loop.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/05/BA4D19490O.DTL

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Ole, i posted the link in General Discussions...I just found out about this while reading SF Gate. Sure wish I was in SF this afternoon.

Anyone know who is organizing this event?
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I realize I'm going by the press...but...

slated to land at four different spots - Justin Herman Plaza, the Pier 39 rooftop, Marina Green and the Moscone Recreation Center at Chestnut and Laguna streets.

Yeah, I thought those landing areas sounded pretty sketchy myself. Crissy Field, on the other hand, is massive and open (though right next to the Bay and often windy as hell).

Since Craig (topdocker) is the RD here and several of the jumpers are from his home DZ, I'm guessing he's more in the loop than the press, though it does seem weird that they'd announce those landing areas if they're not using them.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I realize I'm going by the press...but...

slated to land at four different spots - Justin Herman Plaza, the Pier 39 rooftop, Marina Green and the Moscone Recreation Center at Chestnut and Laguna streets.

Yeah, I thought those landing areas sounded pretty sketchy myself. Crissy Field, on the other hand, is massive and open (though right next to the Bay and often windy as hell).

Since Craig (topdocker) is the RD here and several of the jumpers are from his home DZ, I'm guessing he's more in the loop than the press, though it does seem weird that they'd announce those landing areas if they're not using them.

Maybe it's deliberate to discourage the masses from interefering?

Any good webcams that we might catch this on? cricky
B|

If they're landing at Crissy Field the Golden Gate bridge one would be most likely ... but if it's not aimed in the right direction, it might not be that great.

The second one labeled "San Francisco Bay" looks like it might have the right angle.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

FB update from one of the jumpers from 11:05 a.m. Pacific said they're geared up and waiting to board. Looks like the clouds are starting to clear.

Any good webcams that we might catch this on? cricky
B|

If they're landing at Crissy Field the Golden Gate bridge one would be most likely ... but if it's not aimed in the right direction, it might not be that great.

The second one labeled "San Francisco Bay" looks like it might have the right angle.

I found this one too, but it's not live. It looks like the image updates every 30 seconds and you have to manually refresh it. I'm not sure if it'll catch any of the landings or not...

Apparently it's already done.

As for the landing zone, the Embarcadero is huge for any decent canopy pilot.

They're not your typical demo pilots so we're MUCH better off with this crowd versus a single jumper who runs into a trombone player or just crashes for no given reason.

I'm hoping for an update pretty soon because a lot of my ILL VISION friends are on this.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I saw what I could from Miller-Regional park in Pt. Richmond. Saw the Patriots circle the bay and do their flybys w/ smoke, then saw some red smoke streaks which I assume were the wingsuiters w/ red (some w/ blue?) smoke cannisters....and possibly a canopy or three opening. Kinda hard to see from like 15 miles or so away though.

Apparently it's already done.

As for the landing zone, the Embarcadero is huge for any decent canopy pilot.

They're not your typical demo pilots so we're MUCH better off with this crowd versus a single jumper who runs into a trombone player or just crashes for no given reason.

I'm hoping for an update pretty soon because a lot of my ILL VISION friends are on this.

Now that I watch some other videos/pics, JH plaza doesn't look so small anymore....not that I would feel really comfortable landing there though.