millertime24

For the bikers out there....

Pretty ballsy. from what I hear that is legal in Cali. must be nice in traffic. done a little of that myself but not to that extent as I was on a cruiser with highway bars.
I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

Ill let you decide. Stupid or highly skilled? (or maybe some of both)

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQvcZlo2yo&feature=PlayList&p=5FDE86D0333FC7B0&index=0

Stupid. Anyone riding 300lbs of aluminum that's willing to sandwich themselves between 4000lbs of steel driven by unpredictable and stressed people to save a few minutes time is a moron.

Even at normal speed it still seems rather ballsy. Im not a biker so I really dont know what kind of skill is involved, but still being able to slow down and speed up that fast while avioding obsticals seems to require a certian amount of skill....... And lets keep the legality out of the discussion because really I dont give a shite. Im more interrested in bikers opinions on this sort of riding.
Muff #5048

Even at normal speed it still seems rather ballsy. Im not a biker so I really dont know what kind of skill is involved, but still being able to slow down and speed up that fast while avioding obsticals seems to require a certian amount of skill.......

Having run through much simpler courses than the one in Dave's video on much smaller bikes, I can tell you that what the police are doing in that video takes 10x the skill of what that guy was doing in traffic.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQvcZlo2yo&feature=PlayList&p=5FDE86D0333FC7B0&index=0

Stupid. You never know when some one is going to move left or right within their lane to avoid road debris, or because they're yakking on the phone/putting on makeup/etc.

I'd probably do it though if I had to commute in traffic like that.

Enjoy

Stupid. Anyone riding 300lbs of aluminum that's willing to sandwich themselves between 4000lbs of steel driven by unpredictable and stressed people to save a few minutes time is a moron.

Just curious you ever been in LA traffic. probably saved more than a few min. N some people would say anybody that jumps out of a plane is a moron. Plus it's legal and in cali and I'm sure drivers expect it.

That doesn't really show any skill at all, it just shows contempt for traffic and the hazards involved.

Here's what some real motorcycle skill looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e05m6255NqI&feature=PlayList&p=CB30EB9C1504FDBF&index=9

I like the Japanese demonstration more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Vsnw1u5g4&feature=PlayList&p=CB30EB9C1504FDBF&index=10

That doesn't really show any skill at all, it just shows contempt for traffic and the hazards involved.

Here's what some real motorcycle skill looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e05m6255NqI&feature=PlayList&p=CB30EB9C1504FDBF&index=9

I like the Japanese demonstration more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Vsnw1u5g4&feature=PlayList&p=CB30EB9C1504FDBF&index=10

I always wondered why US cops don't have crotch rockets.

Even at normal speed it still seems rather ballsy. Im not a biker so I really dont know what kind of skill is involved, but still being able to slow down and speed up that fast while avioding obsticals seems to require a certian amount of skill....... And lets keep the legality out of the discussion because really I dont give a shite. Im more interrested in bikers opinions on this sort of riding.

It is legal, and at the real speed, the only danger i would really be worried about, would be someone changing lanes, from in front of a large vehichle, which I could not see.
As for two lanes putting the pinch on you, intentionally, I'd say, most drivers are too busy driving, to be looking behind them 200ft, and most motorcycles are equipped with excellent brakes.

Nothing particularly wrong with that. We lanes split a lot over here and provided that you keep the differencial speed 'sensible' and 'don't' take chances (!!), it's a perfectly acceptable way of moving on.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Here's what some real motorcycle skill looks like: http://www.youtube.com/...1504FDBF&index=9

I took a full one day version of the police course, in Jacksonville, presented by police instructors.
You only think you can ride, until you take that course. What an eye opener.
At the end of the day, you are tired and sore, and you have a much better understanding of the physics involved, in keeping a motorcycle upright.
I would recommend it to anyone, wanting to improve their skills.

I always wondered why US cops don't have crotch rockets

There are a couple of them out there, mostly they're drug sezures, but they're not very practical for a US motors patrol application.

Think about everything the bike needs to run and run every time for police work. You have the bike and its own electrical system. Then you have the radar control module (for the mounted radar), plus the attenas, the controls (typically on the left handle bar near the grip) and the head unit and all the wiring. Then you have the radio head, speaker, connect for the headset in the speaker, the control module and all the wiring. Now you have a siren control unit, with a switch, speaker and horn and all the wiring. Now you have the emergency lights driver, the control switch, the LED capacitor packs, the lights themselves AND yes, the wiring.

Now add a second charging system and battery to run all of those electronics, put that somewhere. Bikes like the BMW RTs use the glove box. Same with the Honda STs. The old KZ1000s would run one battery and system and then a couple of times a week you were push starting your bike.

That's all the crap the bike needs to be effective, with out ANY of the gear that the cop needs. Those trunks on the back of the bikes are typically full of electronics gear.

The cop needs rain gear, forms, clipboard, traffic vest, first aid kit, flash light, CPR mask, ticket book, water, sun screen and a Lidar. That's at a minimum!

So yup, a crotch rocket would be a great choice, being large bikes with plenty of room to put all of that stuff. :D

That's why you see Roadkings and such at HD departments. At more progressive departments you see BMW 1150 and 1200RTs. People are also going to the Honda ST1300s. I'll tell you that the BMW and the STs are pretty fast. They won't keep up with a R1, but actually being in a chase, on a bike against another bike is stupid in the first place. Most cops won't do that chase, its just too dangerous for the cop and the public.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Enjoy

I watched the normal speed video, and it's nothing faster then I usually ride; especially on the 10 during traffic hours.

Me: I'm a dedicated rider with over a decade of daily riding experience in every condition imaginable (I didn't even own a car until a month ago...). I'm a member of a Motorcycle Club that emphasizes rider skills in all aspects of motorcycling. This is something I'm quite comfortable with; and it's a calculated risk (like sky diving!).

Despite how unsafe it may appear, it can be done safely. This isn't too bad (the normal speed video). Admittedly I didn't watch the whole video, but, I've seen people split far faster then this before... I just move out of their way and shake my head as they blast by me. The only thing I would have done differently is move over to between the 1 and 2 lanes. In California cities, most people get in the fast lane and stay there, so there are less cars changing lanes between the left lanes compared to the right.

Regarding it's legality: It's "sort of" legal here; which is to say it's not "illegal". Without getting to technical, it boils down to an individual officers discretion about how safe you're being... I have no issues splitting past an officer on the highway; hell I even had an LA County Sheriff deputy pull over to the left so I could pass him on the 405 the other day, while I was splitting ON a double-yellow.

It gets me to the DZ a half hour faster, so I can sleep in a half hour later ;)

I can't see the video at work but from everyone's comments I'm assuming we're talking about lane splitting...

I'm all for it if done safely.

Miller let me give you an example you will understand since I was stationed at Hill with you. You know the traffic leaving the west gate EVERY afternoon. I split that almost every day. All the way to the stop light, then when the light changed I would split to the next stop light. I did it a lot on I-15 too. Think about leaving SLC in the afternoon or going in the morning. You know that traffic is at a standstill. I had to keep an eye out for cops though because it is illegal in Utah.