Nataly

First motorcycle - thoughts??

A question for all the experienced bikers on here..

So about 18 months ago, I did my CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) and got my Learner's Permit for riding a motorcycle up to 125cc.

This CBT learner's permit is only valid for 2 years, so next step is either:
-Do nothing, retake the CBT every 2 years - max bike = 125cc.
-Get my full licence on a 125cc bike - after 2 years I can automatically ride any size bike. This doesn't expire.
-Get my full licence on a 500cc bike - I can ride any size bike now. This doesn't expire.

Here's the problem.. When I did my CBT, I first had trouble with my balance, so they gave me an automatic scooter to practice on. Then when I tried a geared bike, I kept stalling, so in the end I just used the scooter for the road test. :S

What I would like to do is get something so I can travel on highways, so that means a geared bike. I'm not keen to get something BIG - I'm sure I would be more than happy with a 125cc Honda CBF or something like that. So I was thinking probably the best option is to take more lessons, do the full test on a 125cc, and in 2 years I can decide whether I want to upgrade.

What do people think?
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Renting seems the most obvious solution, but I'm worried about this.. I couldn't get going on the geared bike the first time I tried - how am I gonna get the bike out of the rental place to somewhere I can practice?? [:/]

I like the dirtbike idea - I'll google to see where I might be able to do that & how.. Again, there is the problem of how/where to get the bike..

I'm such a numpty. [:/]

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

EDIT TO ADD: I AM NOT EXPERIENCED BIKER... THIS IS JUST MY .02

That is waaaay more regulated than motorcycle riding in the states...

I just finished taking a MSF course for Basic Riders on a cruiser and I learned a ton. I had ZERO experience operating a motorcycle. I had riden as a passenger more times than I could count, but was never responsible for changing gears and all that fun stuff. Now... after the Basic Rider MSF course I could at the very least safely start, move, and stop the bike... and change gears! (not to say I didn't learn more, but those skills were taught on day one.)

I'm surprised that this CBT did not give you the same training. My recommendation would be to find another course to take with better training (including lots of time on the bike)... and then get fully licensed on a 500 cc.

I got my bike Licence in January, I bought an Aprilia MX125 after I did my CBT, rode on the road for a few months then did a few lessons. I then did a direct access test (i'm 22 was 21 when i did my test) and bought a KTM 450smr and made it road legal. Now if you are thinking about getting a dirt bike for the road be warned, a dirt/supermoto bike costs a fortune to use as an everyday bike. I change my oil every 300 miles, I did a top end engine rebuild after 2000 miles, and of course if you into that scene you spend quite a bit on "bling". If you are thinking to sticking to a 125cc (boooo) I would suggest a Yamaha DT125 or a yamaha DTX 125. There engines are rock solid and the DTX is a pretty cool bike, plus if you get it derestricted it shifts pretty well for a 125.

Ah ha ha!! Your post really made me laugh!! :D:D:D

Ok.. Maybe I wasn't specific enough.. Some interesting advice, but my question relates more to the short-term. As in, thoughts on getting practise & feeling confident on a geared bike before getting my full licence.. Once I can ride a geared bike, there is lots of training available out there, and I can rent a variety of models to see what suits me.

I don't know why anyone would buy a dirt bike for the road?? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: (That was the bit that made me laugh!) I did, however, like the idea of practising off-road with a dirt bike.

For now I've rented a scooter for next two weekends to get used to being on a bike again. Also I booked a 2 hour one-on-one training session on a geared bike so I can see from there.

Still interested to hear advice, though :)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

First. And this is going to sound super simple and pedantic and stupid and condescending, but it's NOT meant to be: can you drive a CAR with a standard transmission? If not...go learn right now. I know you use your feet instead of your hand/foot, but the timing of the clutch/gas operation is the same.

If you can do that, you can learn the clutch on a bike. It's really the same rhythm, just different limbs, heh. I like the rental idea, or find a cheap used 125cc somewhere that you won't mind dropping a few times. Take it to a large empty parking lot and just practice until you get the rhythm of the clutch and gas operation. If you're nervous about getting it off the lot, borrow someone's truck or trailer and haul it out. (not sure how feasible that is in the UK, but yeah...)

as to the dirt bike question, supermoto bikes are rising in popularity, and they are designed for both the road and the dirt. But they are taller and tend to be heavier than a small displacement bike designed solely for the road. You are lucky you live in a place where 500cc road bikes and lower are readily available...in the US they are rare, and "starter" bikes are 500cc at the smallest, usually.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

This is my baby

[/url]http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/R-Boris/?action=view¤t=450smr.jpg[url]

As for supermotos being heavier that's not true. My bike weighs 105kg where as the average road bike (excluding 125) is about 150kg or about 100-110kg for a 125. Anyway if the instructor put you on a scooter, to me that's him giving up on you and taking the easy way out and not trying to help you. He doesn't seem like a good instructor to be with. As I said before buy an old Yamaha 125dt for about £500-£900 and learn on that. Practice is the only way imho.

Do you have access to a large, abandonned, paved area, like and old industrial complex, or airfield?

If so, either rent, borrow or buy a small, used bike off of Craigslist.
Recall your instructions, during the basic riding course, and just go there and practice, without the pressure of traffic.
When you get the basic clutch, throttle and brake function down, take some markers, like crushed soda cans, and set up an obstacle course, continually making it more difficult, as you get comfortable, with it.
And wear a helmet, boots and gloves, Please.

Take lessons from a older experienced rider.

I emphasize OLDER.

Too many young people take chances and they have not lived long enough to reap their reward.

Wear protective gear, you WILL FALL.

A 250cc cafe type would be a good ride and cheap on gas.

Older Aprilia's are nice bikes.

Or get an Enduro type, a 250cc enduro is a very powerful bike. (torque)

Balance on a bike is body position, so maintain that center of gravity.

Motion is your friend, use it.

*Disclaimer

I have only been riding for 40 years with just two accidents, one serious where I broke my helmet by going over the high side after contact with the car that hit me.

I have laid down more times than I can remember, I attended AMA superbike school in 1984 and we learned to lay one down on purpose.

I also got my WERA certificate in 1992, but decided not to race, I did not have the funds.

A question for all the experienced bikers on here..

So about 18 months ago, I did my CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) and got my Learner's Permit for riding a motorcycle up to 125cc.

This CBT learner's permit is only valid for 2 years, so next step is either:
-Do nothing, retake the CBT every 2 years - max bike = 125cc.
-Get my full licence on a 125cc bike - after 2 years I can automatically ride any size bike. This doesn't expire.
-Get my full licence on a 500cc bike - I can ride any size bike now. This doesn't expire.

Here's the problem.. When I did my CBT, I first had trouble with my balance, so they gave me an automatic scooter to practice on. Then when I tried a geared bike, I kept stalling, so in the end I just used the scooter for the road test. :S

What I would like to do is get something so I can travel on highways, so that means a geared bike. I'm not keen to get something BIG - I'm sure I would be more than happy with a 125cc Honda CBF or something like that. So I was thinking probably the best option is to take more lessons, do the full test on a 125cc, and in 2 years I can decide whether I want to upgrade.

What do people think?

Hi Nat-L-E,
Good moves! Get good and comfortable on the small stuff before you "Up-Size" (opposite of what skydivers do for canopy size:D:D) One thing about Bikes, the biger they are, the harder "YOU" fall!! I had an old Ducati 350cc Dirt&street back in the early 70's. Good fun and good transportation. I never laid it down but I did get run off the road a few times by people in cars who "WERE NOT LOOKING!!!" There are 3 things of concern I have with Bikes; Complacency, Cockiness and Loose Gravel!! Be safe!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

And wear a helmet, boots and gloves, Please.

Good advice .... and we don't have a choice about helmets over here (thankfully). but is sickens me when I see folks riding without gloves .... :S:S

Nataly : I'd go the 125 route, if I was in your postion again. It doesn't really matter which one - I'd go for cheap and servicable (you only want to learn on it and then maybe move on next year). A nice light 125 will give you the confidence and experience that you need and you are less likely to drop it when [if] you lose balance.

Have fun and be safe .. like in skydiving ... .Keep your head on a swivel and treat everyone else on the road like they are out to get you ... when they don't .... You're on to a winner.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I very nearly bought a KTM the other week (to do my courier work on ..... and have other fun:)
My very first back (1980) was a Yamaha DT175MX - I loooooved that bike and learnt so much about riding on it (on & off road) - sweet.B|B|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Thanks everyone :)
I'm glad I've finally booked private tuition.. It's funny, but I wish I had a bunch of friends who rode motorcycles.. I feel it would be easier to get into it somehow. I also wish I'd grown up around them. Sounds stereotypical, but my dad was never a father-figure and I always wished he was into stuff like this that he could have shown me. Instead he discouraged me from doing just about everything that sounded fun my whole life!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Oh well - I suppose that's part of being fatherly as well!!

I've just *always* wanted to ride a motorcycle. I was so frustrated when the course didn't go well.. I've always driven cars with manual transmission, so I never expected to have problems on the bike.. To be fair, I stalled twice and they immediately stuck me on the scooter.. The course goes by quick and we had a big class.

Anyway, I'm so excited.. I've been saving up for over one year now. I should be able to afford a bike in about 3 months, including all the gear (summer and winter) and insurance. First thing's first, though.. Learn to use a geared bike!! Ha ha ha!

I'm sure I can do it! :)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

That looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

Oh it is, i have been on a fair amount of bikes (ridden other peoples) and this is by far the most fun bike going.

As for the advice given about going for an OLDER rider to help you, that advice is spot on. Don't let a young rider help you, thats myself included.

Instead he discouraged me from doing just about everything that sounded fun my whole life!!

..... so far (so not your whole life:P)..... the rest is up to you.

Ah ha ha - too right B| Although in truth, I was never very good at listening to him anyway :$:P If I had, I would have become a boring accountant instead of.. well.. oh CRAP.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Chicks look hot all geared up;)B|

BTW you can dress up like Milla JovovichB|

Get good boots, with upper calf protection (Very Sexy), A great pair of Kevlar reinforced Leather Pants (Meeeeowww) and a great looking Kevlar reinforced Jacket with Kevlar reinforced gloves .

Get a Helmet from a reputable company (No chinese crap)

Kevlar helmets are the best.

Arai, AGV, Simpson, and others of that class.

Does it get stinky?? Ewww!!! :D Should be ok - even my farts smell of roses :P

Edit: sorry.. seriously though, I wouldn't have thought of that - thanks :)

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Put it this way, when you have a great helmet you like and it would cost over $800 to replace it, would you want to get rid of it because the liners are deteriorating?

I have to reline my Sukhoi AGV, it produces no lift no matter how fast I go.

The helmet is Kevlar and fiberglass and is great.

I am going to pull the liner, glue in velcro, and make matching pads.

TWO SETS

I used to wear a Nomex balaclava under it so I would not sweat into it as much, or when it was colder.

Having a shaved head makes it worse.