Misternatural

How do you stay out of trouble?

Your tips for how to avoid stepping in deep doo doo;
At Work
At the DZ
With your family
With your Spouse, BF, or GF
On a date

mine are- knowing when to leave the scene before the fuckery starts.

and

try not to get on video:P
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

For every single one of those situations ... step away from the drama. Don't start it, don't engage in it if others start it, don't sweat it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

:DExcellent.....Who better to ask than skydivers about trouble in the air, or on the ground, OR at the bar, at the BBQ,etc.......
I knew I could get a good chuckle out of you people:D:D

and some more tips for survival in the real world;)
D S #3.1415

I can not get in trouble at work cause I dont work when at work...:D

I only hang out with non trouble makers.....:)

I stopped dating for that reason and bought a b.o.b:P

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

If I don't want to get in it, I generally don't. If I do, then it's called fun, not trouble :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

At Work- Always act like I know what I am doing- even if I don't

At the DZ- That place IS trouble

With your family- I am the angel

With your Spouse, BF, or GF- Never admit fault! haha

On a date- Don't do those
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

Ok

reading your work over the years I see that you both have a knack for staying out of the fray, and generally handling of situations with minimal drama and bridge burning.

Here is my question, and it has to do with fun- as Wendy pointed out.

I think the easiest way to avoid serious social conflict is to stay in the background, do your job, weigh every word when joking around and be careful not to offend anyone with a seemingly funny off the cuff remark- especially if that remark has to do with someone's proficiency within an organization.

On the other hand some of the most fun people in the world are the most obnoxious, loud, sometimes drunken jerks who seem to offend everyone and are always in trouble, and don't care who is in earshot of their jokes- It's like their whole life is one spring break.:D

Socializing is really tricky and you two seem to know how to balance the fun having with some sort of common sense that keeps you out of trouble.
What is that formula?:)

D S #3.1415

I think the easiest way to avoid serious social conflict is to stay in the background, do your job, weigh every word when joking around and be careful not to offend anyone with a seemingly funny off the cuff remark- especially if that remark has to do with someone's proficiency within an organization.

On the other hand some of the most fun people in the world are the most obnoxious, loud, sometimes drunken jerks who seem to offend everyone and are always in trouble, and don't care who is in earshot of their jokes- It's like their whole life is one spring break.

There's definitely a happy medium in between those extremes, methinks. I put my foot in my mouth more than I can remember, and I've probably offended quite a few people. I've gotten pretty good at laughing at myself, and am willing to accept responsibility if I genuinely hurt someone unintentionally (or intentionally).

The key to keeping myself mostly happy is that I try really hard not to stress too much about how I'm going to be perceived. I am who I am, and I try to be true to that person as much as possible. I try to be appropriate to the situation, either in behavior or dress or speech, but it's just facets of me, not me trying to be someone I'm not.

If that means some people perceive me as boring ... so be it. If it means some people perceive me as too outspoken... so be it. If it means people like me ... great. If it means they don't like me ... so be it; it's a disappointment but I can't waste a lot of energy trying to make people like me. The irony is, of course, the less I worry about it and the less I try to get people to like me (try too hard, as it usually turns out), the more people seem to actually like me, probably because if I'm nothing else, I'm genuine.

There's always going to be people who aren't going to like who I am but if I have to spend a lot of energy convincing them of my worth and/or changing/suppressing who I am to make them like me ... I'm probably not going to enjoy the results after all. And to be honest, I think a lot of "trouble" comes from people spending too much time trying to be something they're not or trying to prove something to someone.

As for staying "out of trouble" if there's one thing I've learned, we create a lot of trouble for ourselves or people around us because we crave drama. I was just thinking that the other day when I watched a Facebook friend's status change from "Single" to "It's Complicated." Seriously? That status only exists to point out "I have drama in my life! Ask me about it!"

Same goes for "real life." There's always going to be someone in your life who's making a big deal about something or getting angry about something or spending a lot of energy wondering what "so and so thinks" or what "so and so said" or about who's sleeping with who or who's getting screwed over by the DZO or who thinks they're not welcome here or there or anywhere and ... there's just better ways to spend your energy!

Pick your battles, the rest isn't worth the negativity.

Edit to add one more thing: I think balance is also a key to keeping perspective on what's important and what isn't. If skydiving were the only thing in my life I suspect I'd find it a lot easier to get caught up in DZ drama. But it's not, I have friends outside the sport, I have hobbies outside the sport, I have a job outside the sport ... so I can step away and get some perspective. Same goes for work drama ... it's over at the end of the day because I have other stuff going on. Maybe it means I lack some sort of crazy passion for any of the things in my life but it also makes all of them a lot more sane and makes it a lot easier to step away and put things in perspective when I find myself getting worked up about something that's ultimately not that important; and it also gives me a perspective to know when getting worked up *is* the right thing to do because it is that important.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

wow:)
Thanks for that insight.
At the DZ's I am mostly concerned with the staff and DZO's perceptions as far as whether or not I am considered safe to jump with- or a troublesome distraction who gets in the way of the smoothness of the operation. Also I like to talk and joke around with the students and new people on the DZ especially the shy ones who look a little nervous- I especially like to mess with them a little but am careful not to give them any amateur instruction. Plus, I like to sometimes pester them for their payment of beer at the end of the day:P I can see where that might be irritating to some people.
I wonder sometimes if my dorky goofball attitude is a fun asset or creates a rift in the coolness vibe. Like you I like to be myself and let the chips fall where they may. Again the only opinions that really matter at a DZ is what the DZO and staff think so I try my best not to get in their way and be helpful if I can.

At work.....all I know is that It does not matter how hard you work- only how hard you work when the boss or client is watching.;)

D S #3.1415

Any DZ that would have an issue with fun jumpers providing a welcoming atmosphere/attitude towards students isn't one I really would like to go to regularly. Obviously you've hit the nail on the head with making sure that you don't interfere with the instructional process, but as long as you're not running up to a student while they're giving their instructor a review of EPs and making crazy eyes and screaming "We're all gonna dieeeeeeee*" I'd imagine you're doing just fine. :D

*Even though it is true - we all ARE going to die, someday - it's probably not the right time to point that out. ;)