bseriesboosted

How to slow down a hornet....

I recall seeing posted here before that at some point in the Hornet production lifespan the manufacturer started sending them out with a larger slider. (I hope I'm not wrong about this.) What was the date of manufacture on his Hornet?

My Hornet always opened 95% soft(ish), 5% hard. Once I went to ensuring the slider was hard up against the stops and controlling that part of the pack job so it stayed that way into the bag, the hard openings disappeared. I must also assume my Hornet came with the bigger slider, because I'm not that great of a packer. ;)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

You could always get a slider from the next size up put on, i.e. if it's a 150 get a 170 slider. This is what I have on my Sabre 150...

No, not always! It might even make the problem worse. Check with the manufacturer.

/D

You could always get a slider from the next size up put on, i.e. if it's a 150 get a 170 slider. This is what I have on my Sabre 150...

No, not always! It might even make the problem worse. Check with the manufacturer.

/D

Yeah, this guy I talked to, who should be knowledgeable about canopy design, says when trying to slider-tame a hard-opening canopy you want to increase the chord of the slider but not the span. The slider for the next size canopy up might have a larger span...

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I heard, but can't verify, that the h-mod commonly used on cobalts were first developed to tame Hornet openings. Added bonus better dive and flare ( my experience on the cobalts). You can verify by giving Joe Bennet a call.

Sure that wasn't the Heatwave and not the Hornet?

Sure that wasn't the Heatwave and not the Hornet?

No, I'm not positive it was the hornet or the heatwave. Just a rumor I heard a couple of years ago when I was looking to get my Cobalt modded . Sure works good on my cobalt A call to Joe will do no harm.

I have flown a Hornet 170 for over 2 years now and I really love the canopy. I often get really hard openings though. I find that I must do the following things no matter what or else its going to whack me (this weekend was a case in point).

1. The slider must be quartered properly (not sure of the correct term for this) in other words it must be as open as possible and not crumpled up in any way.
2. I must roll the nose fairly tightly. I was shown to roll each of the 4 outer into the middle nice and tight.

Anyway not the best explanation but if I do this then I get a nice snivel with a positive but not a harsh opening nearly every time.

I have been really whipped by this canopy in the past and must be very careful when packing it.

Hope you get it right because it is a cool canopy to fly (imho).

Cheers
Neil

i had a hornet and the slider was not 'flat' when installed, it was concave towards the ground side.

How can a sheet of fabric be concave (i.e. convex) toward one side? Won't the fabric tend to be convex toward whichever way the wind blows it? :P

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.