Spatula

Neptune or Pro-track

Just to add to the clamour:

Pro-Track.
Plus: Proven, reliable, solid. Ridiculously good customer service (search the forum archives for stories).
Minus: Use is not intuitive, doesn't log past 119 seconds.

Neptune.
Plus: Lots of cool features, can be used as a wrist-mount.
Minus: Still got some teething software and hardware troubles.

I'd choose a Pro-Track as my primary audible. If I was buying a second, I'd happily get a Neptune, but I want my primary to be as close to 100% reliable as possible.

Just to add to the clamour:

Pro-Track.
Plus: Proven, reliable, solid. Ridiculously good customer service (search the forum archives for stories).
Minus: Use is not intuitive, doesn't log past 119 seconds.

Neptune.
Plus: Lots of cool features, can be used as a wrist-mount.
Minus: Still got some teething software and hardware troubles.

I'd choose a Pro-Track as my primary audible. If I was buying a second, I'd happily get a Neptune, but I want my primary to be as close to 100% reliable as possible.

Pro-track doesn't record crw jumps and hopnpops, and won't go past 119 seconds (not so good if you're a decent birdman). The Neptune does, and I like that the software records the part under canopy as well.

I did have problems with mine, a lot of the earlier ones had problems, but nowadays most are fixed.

Both L&B and Alti-2 ahve excellent customer service.

I do a lot of CRW and BirdMan, so I sold my Pro-Track for a Neptune. Then I tried it as a digital alti, bought another one and haven't jumped anything else since.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Pro-track doesn't record crw jumps and hopnpops, and won't go past 119 seconds (not so good if you're a decent birdman). The Neptune does, and I like that the software records the part under canopy as well.

I did have problems with mine, a lot of the earlier ones had problems, but nowadays most are fixed.

Both L&B and Alti-2 ahve excellent customer service.

I do a lot of CRW and BirdMan, so I sold my Pro-Track for a Neptune. Then I tried it as a digital alti, bought another one and haven't jumped anything else since.

Pro Trak has some limitations however that is why L & B are releasing an entire new line of products. Pro Trak will record any skydive with 6 seconds of freefall or more.
I have heard from a few people that the neptune will record part of jump run as part of your jump.

Kirk

I'll say that I have bought 2 protracks, one for me and one for my sister. Both failed in a few months and both were replaced quickly and curtiously from L&B. I lost the replacement to a broken mount on a riser strike, which I grumbled about considerably and L&B replaced it again. L&B has bent over backwards to keep me with a Protrack, so kudos to Mads and company...

-Jon
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

hell, when the battery, I replaced it thinking it would keep the data,... nope, wiped clean started back on jump 0.)

I changed it without any dropping of data. ....

Well, obviously that is the idea! Thing is, you didn't lose data, and most wouldn't lose data... but, if someone does there is a problem. I didn't care that much, though, since most of the data was unreliable (I had some hop n pops on there that quoted my pull altitude higher than my exit altitude and logged upward of 100 seconds of freefall!! :o)

Anyhow, I can see the need for both products, but I don't like the neptune for logging period. It isn't accurate ime, and regardless of how intuitive it is, it isn't convenient (button button finally jump menu >> press button to choose jump, page down to view rest of jump, page back to jump screen, scroll down to last jump, press button to chose jump, page down to view rest of jump, scroll back to jump screen ...) GIVE ME A BREAK!! That is NOT convenient! Too much time taken in scrolling back and forth, not to mention that the buttons aren't that easy to depress.

Again, I love it as an altimeter, but imo it is not the best device around for logging. I understand the need for it with Birdman, though, but hopefully by the time I ever want to do something like that L&B will have something useable.

jmo,
-A

Pro Trak has some limitations however that is why L & B are releasing an entire new line of products. Pro Trak will record any skydive with 6 seconds of freefall or more.

I am no impressed with the features of the new line-up. apparently, the audibles have been crippled, with two new versions of the ProDytter, but no new Pro Track. The only logbook features are contained in the awkward looking handmount. If L&B dicontinue the ProTrack, there will notbe a L&B product featured to compete with the Neptune.

For Great Deals on Gear

It appears to me that what L & B has done is realized that you will either be using the devise as a visual alitimeter or as an audible. L & B have a new product call the Alti-Trak which is a visual Alitmeter with all the recording features. They also have quite a few different audibles too. They are not discontinuing the Pro Trak just adding others to their line up.
I guess after see soo many issues with the Neptunes and seeing no problems with L & B products I really am a loyal customer to L & B.
Kirk

I have heard from a few people that the neptune will record part of jump run as part of your jump.

I have found that the neptune usually counts part of the jump as jump run... I will look at my alti immediately before exit, and it will say 13k for example.. the neptune will give me a 12.7k exit altitude (or something like that) ... If you look at the charts from the neptune, you can clearly see that you left before the neptune started logging it as the jump.. Neptune is also very unaccurate with hop-n-pop delays, looking at a fall rate chart you can clearly see how long it was between exit and pull, but it keeps logging freefall for awhile after you pulled (slow openings) .. For logging, I just wish the neptune was a bit more sensitive to when we actually exit and pull (pull especially on hop-n-pops) .. I have a pro-track, but dont use it for logging anymore, but I do know that it always gives slightly different exit altitudes (usually higher) than the neptune.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

When was the last time you had your altimeter checked for calibration? Which do you believe is more accurate? The wrist mount analog, ProTrack, or Neptune? Where would you mount it for the best and accurate readings?

I use my neptune as a wrist mount alti... so my alti that I look at and my data logger are one in the same, .. it's just that the neptune delays logging your skydive for a brief time after you have left the door, even though you can see your exit in the graph it says you exited lower than what you can see in the graph and what you see on the alti before leaving the door.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

-+ 200? How precise do you want it? If anything it can be annoying but you are not going to find anything that is that exact. If you do, sell it and make some money. Heck, most people are quite happy when something beeps close to the altitude and are easy to use. Why do you think the ProDytter sells so well with all it's features?

its not that big of a deal, I was just commenting to the guy that said the neptune would count part of jump run as the jump, I was just stateing that I've seen the opposite :ph34r:

Also, as far as neptune support, .. I've already been PMed by someone from Alti-2 just from them reading this post.. I've had to contact them before, they have always been very supportive, A+ to alti-2.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

I use my neptune as a wrist mount alti... so my alti that I look at and my data logger are one in the same, .. it's just that the neptune delays logging your skydive for a brief time after you have left the door, even though you can see your exit in the graph it says you exited lower than what you can see in the graph and what you see on the alti before leaving the door.

I've seen it start the FF clock late, but I never saw it get the exit altitude wrong. Are you sure the plane wasn't dropping a little alt after the cut?

I'm gonna do an update, seems I am a few verisons off... :| Also, it does just seem that it is the FF counter that starts late, I just looked at some of my recent jumps in paralog and see what you just said Kelpdiver...

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

its not that big of a deal, I was just commenting to the guy that said the neptune would count part of jump run as the jump, I was just stateing that I've seen the opposite :ph34r:

Also, as far as neptune support, .. I've already been PMed by someone from Alti-2 just from them reading this post.. I've had to contact them before, they have always been very supportive, A+ to alti-2.

I understand what you were commenting on and Alti-2 is on these boards "listening." Rather than comment or criticize pubically I would have contacted them directly. But that's just me. I can always bitch at Alti-Bob since he's on DZ staff or Cajones. My Nep is at Alti-2 now and Lara has been totally cool. Even sent a loaner to me, which I forgot at home and did 9 jumps without it Saturday. Currently I only use it as an audible, but have ordered the Armor and will try it as a handmount. I'm old school and use a Galaxy Extreme. B|

I wasnt trying to be too negative, really, and I just realize that it may have come accross that way.. I love my neptune, I only use my protrack as an audible now, and the thing was AWSOME to have on the night jumps I just did, and Alti-2 has been good to me.. Hope that this post can take back anything bad I may have said :ph34r:

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Hi, Mark. Hope all is well with ya.

I just wanted to comment that I think that things need to be shared on the forums, this is how people pick products. Just like we share positive comments about companies who are responsive, helpful, have awesome products, etc... we also need to share the bad. This is how a consumer makes an informed choice. Just thought i'd throw that out there. I know that some people get mad that others share bad experiences on the forums but I appreciate it when i'm looking to buy a product. That way I know the bad going into it, no surprises.

Angela.

It appears to me that what L & B has done is realized that you will either be using the devise as a visual alitimeter or as an audible. L & B have a new product call the Alti-Trak which is a visual Alitmeter with all the recording features. They also have quite a few different audibles too.

I don't think skydivers have had the option of such versatility long enough to be able to say that an altimeter is only going to be used in a single manner. So far Alti-2 is the only company that offers that versatility. L&B does not have a comparable product. Nor are they advertising any that might be forthcoming.

Personally, I like the idea of having a non electronic altimeter, so the L&B wristmount is not an option, no matter how well it is engineered.

For Great Deals on Gear

I don't think skydivers have had the option of such versatility long enough to be able to say that an altimeter is only going to be used in a single manner. So far Alti-2 is the only company that offers that versatility. L&B does not have a comparable product. Nor are they advertising any that might be forthcoming.

Personally, I like the idea of having a non electronic altimeter, so the L&B wristmount is not an option, no matter how well it is engineered.

Well you are right about L&B not having a devise that has all the same functions at the neptune. As soon as the Alti-Trak is out Alti-2 will not have a product that will do everything it does either. Plus I personally like a analog altimeter verses a digital read out (So I really like the Analog read out on the Alti-trak). It really boils down to a personal choice on brands. L&B has bent over backwards for me so I will always stick with their products. As a side note I know quite a few people that are unhappy with their neptunes. I have yet to talk to anyone that has had a negative experience with L&B. So you choose which ever one you want. I will stick with L&B

That is the catch with the Alti-track. Relies on battery and the computer behaving. But the variable gauge to 18 is great for us doing 15s and 18s a lot, and so is the waterproofing.

Anyone actually heard a real shipping date? Seems like it's been pushed out a bit since the PIA reveal.

I have owned L&B products, and found them to work well (despite a poorly designed user interface). That does not automatically make them better, IMO, or guarantee my exclusive future business.

Please remind me what the Alti-track will do that the Neptune does not do? The only thing that comes to mind is a replay of the jump's altimeter display (in real time?).

For Great Deals on Gear