normiss

Products you refrigerate...and why?

I've heard people refrigerate some things I don't get.

PB???? nah, cabinet here.

Catsup???? NO WAY! More flavor at room temp.

Syrup???? WTF???

Butter??? (real, stick butter...not spray :P) I always have one stick out at room temp. mmmmm

Any other items or products that you keep in the 'fridge that don't need to be?
WHY?

I keep ALL of thoughs in my fridge. I have all natural peanut butter.. So its best in the fridge.. Everything else... thats just the way my parents did it.. So i do it to..
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I refrigerate Ketchup simply because with the high sugar content it is a great incubator for mold.

I keep a stick of butter out in the winter but not in the summer, it is too hot.

I bake my own bread and usually do two loaves at a time. I leave one on the counter and put one in the fridge, again to prevent mold.

I store excess flour (basically any that I don't but in plastic w/ a firm seal) in either the refrigerator or freezer to prevent flour bug investations. I've had them once or twice and I lose a lot of money in inventory and it takes a lot of time and effort to fully get rid of them.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I put ketchup and syrup in the fridge :P... Dont use real butter tho, and PB def needs to be in the pantry... Some of the ladies I work with put bread and like brownie mix(the stuff in a box) in the fridge. They get mad at me when I take that sort of stuff out :D

Butter??? (real, stick butter...not spray :P) I always have one stick out at room temp. mmmmm

Butter needs to be refrigerated and protected from light!
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

Land O Lakes says to keep butter in the coldest part of the refrigerator.

And ketchup is only good for a month if kept in a cool, dry place. I'm thinking a kitchen in FL does not qualify.

You're grossing me out! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I never understood putting syrup in the fridge. My roommates in college did that. You have to wait for 5 minutes with the bottle turned upside down before it finally starts to come out. It's thick enough when room temperature. When it's cold it flows like molasses.

Butter is actually best if it's left at room temperature, assuming it is being used up before it has an opportunity to become rancid. If your Dad is using it every night for his dinner rolls, and he leaves out only 1 stick at a time, then it will never go rancid. And the fact is, even if it DID become rancid, it wouldn't actually hurt you. It would just taste awful.

At room temperature, butter spreads more easily, and it also has more perceptible flavor, because it is closer to your body temperature (your taste buds are part of your body!). And with a few exceptions (such as pie crusts), "softened" butter is called for in most recipes.

If you seriously think ketchup requires refrigeration, you better stop eating at restaurants.
Nowhere on the bottle does it say to do so either.
Heinz, the only ketchup/catsup.;)

Skymama, you just worry about your spray butter!
:D

If you seriously think ketchup requires refridgeration, you better stop eating at restaurants.

Restaurants go through their ketchup quickly, most homes do not unless you have freaky people there who put ketchup on everything. :P

Yes, you bring butter to room temperature for recipes but you don't just leave it on the counter. That's nasty!
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

spray butter? Seriously? that stuff exists?:o

I refrigerate spuds (keeps em good and improves the taste as they get sweeter).
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

We don't go through things quickly, so in order to keem them we refridgerate them.

Bread
Ketchup
Mustard
Butter
Syrup
Flour
Sugar
Potatoes
etc...

Just about anything other than canned / boxed goods.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I never understood putting syrup in the fridge. My roommates in college did that. You have to wait for 5 minutes with the bottle turned upside down before it finally starts to come out. It's thick enough when room temperature. When it's cold it flows like molasses.

Bunch of philistines. Just buy proper maple syrup, and you can (and should!) refrigerate it after opening, and it still flows perfectly. Who the hell eats that fake syrup stuff anyways???????
Remster

On a side not, I just read ysterday that you can buy ultrapasteurized milk and keep it on the counter:

Ask Marilyn

When buying milk, I see that the “use-by” date is typically no more than 10 days away. Yet in other countries, milk is routinely bought in unrefrigerated boxes that have a long shelf life. It tastes just fine. Why isn’t this milk sold in the U.S.?
—Carl Vansant, Kansas City, Mo.
In fact, ultrapasteurized or ultra-high temperature (UHT) processed milk is sold here. I buy it myself. It’s a little different from pasteurized milk in two main ways: 1) It’s slightly sweeter; and 2) the UHT process kills all bacteria, instead of just enough to keep you from getting sick, as with standard pasteurization. You can buy either ordinary or organic UHT milk, and it’s available as whole milk, 2%, and skim, etc.

We don't go through things quickly, so in order to keem them we refridgerate them.

Bread
Ketchup
Mustard
Butter
Syrup
Flour
Sugar
Potatoes
etc...

Just about anything other than canned / boxed goods.

g

i dont keep sugar, flour, syrup or potatoes in the frig. Bread will last forever and a day if in there. It never gets moldy or hard.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

spray butter? Seriously? that stuff exists?:o

American food industry invented a lot of crazy things, like tube cheese, spray cheese, tube bacon... :S Kind of stuff even an astronaut wouldn't eat! :D
"One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."

Dudeist Skydiver #101

I heard Europeans don't refrigerate their eggs. Any truth to that? Ours are on the top shelf.

We keep one stick of butter on the counter, but with teenagers cooking and eating it lasts maybe one day. Quick turnover on that. We have a walk in pantry, so I wish we had that room temp milk storage like they do in Europe. It would be nice not to have a zillion jugs of milk in the fridge. Except for syrup, we pretty much keep everything else cold. Don't like my food growing stuff on it. :D

Actually, you're not supposed to store potatoes in the refrigerator because the coldness of the temperature breaks the starch down into sugar and makes the potatoes sweet. Fine though if you like it that way, I guess!

I've heard people refridgerate some things I don't get.

PB???? nah, cabinet here.

Catsup???? NO WAY! More flavor at room temp.

Syrup???? WTF???

Any other items or products that you keep in the 'fridge that don't need to be?
WHY?

I am with you Normiss. I don't put any of that stuff in the fridge. Well, my butter does stay in there simply because I don't use enough of it. But if I am planning dinner with fresh bread I take the butter out a couple hours in advance and let it sit. Definitely tastes better at room temperature.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

ketchup in the fridge, syrup in the fridge (but I use only real maple syrup - not the processed sugar filled stuff), butter in the fridge.

i use those items so seldom i usually throw them away before they are 1/2 gone.

bread will go stale faster in the fridge.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.