livenletfly

should i do some subterminal deployments?

ive heard over the years that its s good idea to do some sub terminal openings to break in a new canopy or new line set.

I'm anxious to hear some informed opinions on this too. I've done those "set" jumps, to set and stretch the new stitching gently, rather than hit it hard at terminal velocity on the first jump. But I don't really know if that actually is necessary...

Back in 'the day' which, for me, was the 60's it was considered a req'ment to do some hop 'n' pop type of jumps to 'stretch' everything. Years later I just took new canopies to terminal; never noticed anything different or bad. Remember, your first jump on your new reserve will probably be at terminal; does this bother you?

no that doesnt bother me. im not worried about uneven stretching my reserve lines. its there to save my ass and deploy fast and hard and not often. my main however i want to open symetrical and as designed so im not opening my reserve every other jump. i would however want a thorough inspection after a terminal reserve opening and possibly send it back to the manufacturer for inspection if it was a unusually hard opening. my outlook is my ellpitical main is designed for high performance flight being more sensitive to trim. my reserve is designed to save my ass and get me on the ground alive. it doesnt have to fly like a dream. just stable enough to land without injury. look at microravens. imo they are the bare min. of acceptable flight characteristics. but they save alot of asses every year. in other words they aint pretty landings but they'll do for some jumpers.
>

Yes, I'm a newbie but I'll share my thoughts and let you take it with a grain of salt. I have an Icarus Safire 2 which I haven't flown in a bit due to shoulder surgery (non-skydiving related):( Anyway, my openings were always very soft with 700-1000 ft snivels which are on the longer side from what I've heard, seen or read. I personally like that and just open higher.

In any event, I'm guessing other Icarus canopies such as the Crossfire2 are similar with regards to their opening characteristics. That being the case and the fact you can roll your nose or pack your canopy for longer/softer openings, I would tend to think its a non-issue. Factor that in with the newer technology available for suspension lines (i.e. vectran) and I think you are safe to bomb away.

Have fun and enjoy your new canopy!!!

:)Eric

One's destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things. ~ Henry Miller

I think it's a myth. I heard it in 1985 and thought it was bull then, still think so now.

You should be checking trim on a canopy every 200 jumps or so, which for me is every reserve packjob. I've never done this "breaking in" process and have no negative stories to tell.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Surely it's a myth? If it was essential or even just a good idea then at least one of the manufacturers would recommend it.

Having said that I'd do some anyway, just to get some time under that awesome XF2 99! :)
Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

From the manual of PV Cayanne and Demon:
---
Introductory Jumps

On your first jump with your new canopy –
please do not go to terminal!
We recommend making a 3-sec. delay
(because a subterminal opening will stretch fabric and lines symmetrically).
Also, pulling at a higher altitude will give you more time to become familiar with your
new canopy.
---

They are really cheap, less than 1000 Euro.
I suspect some material issue...

Subterminal??? You guys are crazy!

I always kite new canopies for about 20 hours. Then about 500 sub-terminal openings (like 1-2 sec H&P) to set those lines especially the HMA and Vecrtan ones B| Then maybe pulling at terminal but not after I put a 18" PC just to soften things up a little.

B|
Memento Audere Semper

Sounds like we are doing the right thing for the wrong reason.

Back in the days when Nylon and Dacron lines were fashionable, it might have been helpful to gradually "set" new lines, but that requirement has disappeared since zero stretch lines (Spectra, Vectran, HMA, etc.) were introduced 15 years ago.

Now we should be doing hop-and-pops to learn about the flying characteristics of new canopies.

thanks for everyones thoughts. i dont think sub term openings are nessasary either, but its my first (beer!) new canopy and wanted to make sure. i cant wait to shred on this canopy! i demmo'ed one last summer and they are the shiettt!! this coming from a diehard pd guy. sorry pd but i call em the way i see em. and the crssfire 2 is exactly what im looking for for working jumps.
peace all blue skies and stuff
>