SkyChimp

College Football - BCS National Championship

Who will win the 2009 BCS Championship?

Also who do you think deserves to be in the top rankings that wasn't selected?

I'm saying Florida will win.

Tigers should be LSU not LSE... mistype

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Who SHOULD? If you want the two best teams the game should be between Alabama and Florida.

Who will? It's a toss up for me between Alabama and Florida. Going to come down to who stumbles. Florida damn near blew it yesterday. Would like to see Alabama take it, if for no reason other than I'm a Georgia fan and it is terribly painful to cheer for Florida.

Who will the SEC team play? I'm guessing Texas, but who knows, there is still a lot of season left and a single loss could really turn the polls upside down.

I'm still getting a kick out of seeing Cincinnati on the rise. I went there 95-99 and during that time even homecoming only filled half the stadium (everyone was busy watching Kenyon Martin play basketball, nobody gave a damn about football). I think it would be a joke for them to play for the championship considering their schedule, but if Coach Kelly stays around and they have a few more 10+ win seasons and those seasons include some tougher competitors they may just get there.
Killing threads since 2004.

Who will win the 2009 BCS Championship?

Also who do you think deserves to be in the top rankings that wasn't selected?

I'm saying Florida will win.

I'm a Gators fan but things now are not as clear as they were a week or two ago. On the other hand, the dose of reality that Arkansas gave Florida yesterday may be just what the Gators need to get back to the top of their game. (although statistically it wasn't as bad as it seemed.) I would like to see a couple of strong non-BCS teams invited to participate somehow.

AP Poll New #1 http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10202850/Alabama-passes-Florida-for-No.-1-spot-in-AP-poll

BCS Poll Still Fla. http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/10238080/Florida-still-No.-1-in-rankings-that-count
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

I voted other because the BCS is the biggest pile of steaming dogshit ever invented.

I'm biased and angry, being the fan of and a graduate of two different mid-major schools that have had consistently good programs and get NO recognition except some crappy ass bowl on some random day between xmas and new year that no one watches. And then when they try to schedule "major" teams, the "major" teams are fucking pussies and refuse to play them because they don't want to get humiliated or risk messing up their BCS standings by losing to a small school.

GRRRR.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

USA today poll shows Florida still being #1 too.

Check out ESPN below

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

I voted other because the BCS is the biggest pile of steaming dogshit ever invented.

Can't say I disagree with you. NCAA needs a playoff system. It can't be that hard.... no excuse.

As far as the polls go, IIRC, the AP Poll a couple years ago or so did not want to be counted in the BCS formula anymore. I can't remember the exact circumstances though, but as far as I know, the BCS comprises of 3 parts getting equal strengths in the scoring - Coaches poll, Harris Poll and the Computers (7 to 9 different programs averaged together).

I think the AP poll decided to rate the teams based on how they played, while the others seem to keep a team ranked where it is or move up as long as it wins, not move down because of an ugly win.

I'm not saying the AP poll's choice of Alabama as #1 is correct, I actually feel that until somebody beats Florida (16 game winning streak and defending national champion), they should stay #1. After all, the #1 carries the biggest bulls eye target on their backs. ;)

FWIW, I'd rather be #2 until the championship game and knock off #1, like in 1992. Speaking of which, it's long overdue for another Alabama championship.

As far as Alabama goes, my opinion of them is, they have surprised me again. They are killing everybody, especially on defense. Sure there were a couple of blips, but we scored more than enough to hold them off. So far, it looks like the most complete win was the 35-7 blasting of Arkansas. Look what Arkansas has managed to do since. Beat Auburn and damn near beat Florida. Alabama did bend quite a bit on defense against South Carolina last Saturday but they held firm on the goal line and forced 7 incomplete fade passes, trying to pick on 2nd stringer Marquis Johnson, who was starting because our best DB, Javier Arenas, was out with an injury. That was impressive.

The difference between this year and last year's team, is that Alabama is loaded 2 and 3 deep at most positions, most notably at linebacker. Losing Dont'a Hightower for the season a few weeks back (our 2nd best player) and Alabama is playing like they don't miss him.

Last year, losing a starter, would have messed us up because we didn't have any backups with serious playing experience who was any good. When we lost our left guard all american Andre Smith for the bowl game because of some dealings with an agent, that deflated the whole team, and they had to juggle the offensive line, plus the defense didn't take Utah seriously and the result was a 21-0 deficit almost in the time it takes to do a quick beer run.

Last year Florida was clearly the best team. They came out in the end and owned the 4th quarter, but it was pretty even for more than 3 quarters. Put Tim Tebow's back up against the wall, and he will come right at you fighting. Which is what he did on the game clinching drive against Arkansas.

This year, I would say Alabama and Florida are equals. Both defenses are outstanding and are the top two defenses in the country, bar none. Both offenses have shown flashes of brilliance, but there have been struggles, of course. It's the SEC, better known for defense than offense. Ole Miss, Tennessee and South Carolina all have better than average defenses, LSU too. Florida only put up 23 on Tennessee and 13 on LSU. Alabama got 22 on Ole Miss and 20 on SC, but beat both teams more decisively, shutting both out of the end zone.

Florida does seem to be missing a couple of big playmakers, both of who are in the NFL now. They seem to be trying to find others to step up and be a star, but right now, Tebow is The Star, but can his body hold up the rest of the season? I see him being a fullback in the NFL, or maybe a tight end, not a QB.

Alabama is loaded with playmakers. Super wide receiver Julio Jones has not had the numbers so far that he had last year, mainly because of double and triple coverage on him, but other receivers have made huge plays, because they can do it. Pick your poison when you try to defend Alabama. The running game? last year we had a sure thing that almost always worked, run left behind Andre Smith. Defenses knew what was coming because we didn't have to disguise it and they couldn't stop us. This year, the offensive line is not quite as good, but the running backs are making plays. There's Mark Ingram, who ran for 246 yards last Saturday, a home stadium record. We also have Trent Richardson, a true freshman who broke all the high school records held by, guess who? Emmitt Smith (who now holds the NFL rushing record). Both backs are beasts. There are a couple more that can play when those two need a breather. Even then, defenses are stacking the box with 8 defenders to stop the run.

Alabama so far this year has shown the ability to adjust and take what defenses are giving them. If they stack the box and keep us from rushing, we'll pass. If they shut down the passing lanes, we'll rush. You'll see it in the numbers. SC had the 6th rated passing defense in the country and it showed, as Alabama had 90 yards on 10 passes, but they could not stop Ingram when it counted.

This Saturday, Tennessee comes to town with another strong defense. I see a low scoring defensive struggle, but Alabama will pull away in the 2nd half and pound the Vols on the ground. At least, I hope so. I don't know how they blasted Georgia like they did, but Georgia's defense is abysmal.

I see a rematch of Alabama and Florida in the SEC Championship game, and right now, I'd give the edge to Alabama. They'll be coming in with a chip on their shoulders, but I expect Florida to answer the bell and fight for everything they can get. It should be a monster of a game. It might well be the game of the year.

One game at a time, right now, it's Tennessee, then a well-deserved week off, and then LSU comes to town for another ass-whupping, bitch! ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm seeing Gators and Crimson Tide in the SEC too. However, I'm not sure how Florida's offensive line can work without Spikes.

Spikes? Isn't he a linebacker?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

yes that's what I meant

Yeah, I noticed Arkansas had a little more success moving up the middle of the defense since Spikes was out.

Bama vs SC game was great! SC played awesome, but I'm still glad Bama wonB|

Hell yes, and I'll be happier than a pig in shit after Alabama wipes the turf with those fucking Vols this Saturday! We'll give Lane Kiffin something else to think about than Urban Meyer. :ph34r:

Here is a worry for a Gator fan.... If Georgia plays like they did against Arkansas, and Florida plays like they did against Arkansas then the FL-GA game in Jacksonville will be in Georgia's favor.

Here is a worry for a Gator fan.... If Georgia plays like they did against Arkansas, and Florida plays like they did against Arkansas then the FL-GA game in Jacksonville will be in Georgia's favor.

NOW THAT IS WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR!!!! I really would hate to see Georgia do something to knock an SEC team out of the top two, but as a Georgia fan there is NOTHING better than seeing a bunch of crying Gator fans. It's not something we've had the opportunity to experience lately. : /
Killing threads since 2004.

I think the Gators will win

Gators beat Georgia? Yes. Georgia has about the worst defense in the SEC. Tennessee may have the 3rd or 4th best defense in the conference and they blew the Dawgs out. I don't think it will even be close. Sorry to say.

Then again, I didn't think Arkansas had a rats ass chance in hell of hanging with the Gators down to the last 9 seconds. :o You never know in this conference.