Squeak

Welcome to 2010

It's very thoughtful of you to test out the New Year before it shows up here.

You get to find out first if it's the end of the world.

Yep. It was about this time on Jan 1, 2000 that I figured the "Y2K" hype was a complete bunch of crap.

I hadn't really beleived it, and when Australia didn't melt down, I knew we were safe.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Happy new year from perth Western Australia. :)

It's not really 2010 until midnight at Greenwich:P The origin of space and time for all known intelligent life in the universe.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the Y2K hype from 10 years ago.

There actually were a lot of people in 1999 who said that the problems would be minor, and that things had been dealt with. The world doesn't end every time Microsoft has a bug in its software, does it?

But their message was BORING!!

It was always much more exciting to listen to the fear mongers. They certainly sold a lot of books. You can't sell a book that says "Nothing much will happen."
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Yep. It was about this time on Jan 1, 2000 that I figured the "Y2K" hype was a complete bunch of crap.

I flew commercial from ORD to SFO on 31 Dec 1999. Emptiest I have ever seen either airport. Not a lot of folks on the plane either. Made it to the Embarcadero around 10:30-11PM. :D

Much of the reason that the Y2K bug was not as much of an issue wasn't because it was over-hyped -- altho' there certainly were cases of that, it was because the private and governmental entities globally responded, invested/spent a lot of money, and took action.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

well, yes, Y2K was a REAL problem.

And a lot of $ was spent fixing it, and that was a good thing that they did, even if some of the $ was wasted.

But since so many people thrive on hysteria, no matter how good a job they did fixing the problem, there would always be many many people out there who would continue to shriek about the impending end of the world.
Speed Racer

I flew commercial from ORD to SFO on 31 Dec 1999. Emptiest I have ever seen either airport. Not a lot of folks on the plane either. Made it to the Embarcadero around 10:30-11PM. :D

Much of the reason that the Y2K bug was not as much of an issue wasn't because it was over-hyped -- altho' there certainly were cases of that, it was because the private and governmental entities globally responded, invested/spent a lot of money, and took action.

/Marg

I didn't mean that there weren't serious issues that had to be dealt with, just the overall "End Of The World As We Know It" hype.

Even if the fixes hadn't been as thorough as they were, so many of the doomsday scenarios were just ridiculous. For example, there was nothing on your airliner that was "date dependent" enough to be anything but an annoyance. And your flight landed after the new year had started in most of the rest of the world.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

QFT ... except, have you been to Greenwich (or anywhere in London) recently? - damned suveners:P

Greenwich - not since 2002.
London, June 2009, just passing through on my way to Skye.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

shit. I'm in the Eastern USA and despite all the predictions, the world hasn't ended. I wish it would & we could get it over with already. and don't give me that December 2012 crap. That is a piss-weak doomsday prediction, with nothing behind it.

Let's face it, the really good Doomsday shit has passed us by.
Speed Racer

shit. I'm in the Eastern USA and despite all the predictions, the world hasn't ended. I wish it would & we could get it over with already. and don't give me that December 2012 crap. That is a piss-weak doomsday prediction, with nothing behind it.

Uh that is not till 21 DEC 2012

Well at the risk of getting this kicked to SC I'd say you're off by a few million or possibly even billion years. Might wanna run your numbers again. :P

Well at the risk of getting this kicked to SC I'd say you're off by a few million or possibly even billion years. Might wanna run your numbers again. :P

The Mayans said so;)

The Mayans said so;)

They also made human sacrifices. Were they right about that? :S