peckerhead

How long has it been since your last reserve ride?

Hi pecker,
March of '93. A bunch of front lines (all but 3) broke at the cascade because when they built my Rascal 9 they didn't angle cut the insertions on the A-B cascades!!!!! Talk about Mr. Toad's wild ride!! Pulled the cutaway, then reserve handle and when I looked up my Raven II was open just waiting for me to pop the brakes!! Good stuff!!

I think it's in the history and trivia column, someone asked about Viking Superlites- that chop was a duzie!! I wrote up that ride there too. That was 09SEP1979 at Scare-us Valley (Perris).
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

After 10+ years Im still waiting for the first one... although in my last 5 jumps (this past two weekends) I have had two similar, terminal malfunction, incidents: the PC is not opening the container (I think... or maybe its not pulling the dbag out) and is just hanging in there, full bridle extension, for 3 or 4 seconds. Im investigating whether this is because the pilot chute is too small or the container is too small for the packed main. :S

In both incidents I partialy released the cutaway handle from the velcro but the main opened 1/2 a second before I took the decision.

Im investigating whether this is because the pilot chute is too small or the container is too small for the packed main.

If the rig has a high number of jumps and PC is collapsible the draw string may have shrunk to the point where it is not allowing the PC to fully inflate. Just an idea. They are fairly cheap and easy to replace versus a PC in tow reserve ride. ;)

Im investigating whether this is because the pilot chute is too small or the container is too small for the packed main.

If the rig has a high number of jumps and PC is collapsible the draw string may have shrunk to the point where it is not allowing the PC to fully inflate. Just an idea. They are fairly cheap and easy to replace versus a PC in tow reserve ride. ;)

or the fabric of the PC can be old and not offer enough resistance.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I think this is more likely the situation... the PC is quite old. Thanks! ;):)
BTW...(Edit to add) you might all want to check out this video I made from my friends cutaway this year. The helmet was pulled from his head by the main's left riser and spinned (the helmet.. not his head :D) to the ground... 20 seconds later... SPLAT :D:D
Video Clicky

A couple of months ago I had my second cutaway. My lines were all twisted up. I now know how to tell when I need a re-line on my canopy. New lines sure do make the openings better.:)
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I think this is more likely the situation... the PC is quite old. Thanks! ;):)

this was the cause of my 1st cutaway... not enough pull on PC (old Parachutes de France PC with old fabric)

Nice video :o
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Not sure of exact date without going through old log books, but it was over 10 years ago, about 11 or 12 years ago I think. It was a demo jump in the Cayman islands, and I ended up taking a bit of a delay getting stable before pulling my reserve then had a hard pull on it and needed two hands. :S So I got open a bit low. That was ride #4 and all with no RSL, so now that I have an RSL, it would be interesting to see the difference in the next one someday.

I have already responded for myself, but now I'm responding for someone else because I'd like to take a little credit.

Bob Stumm. Last reserve ride was March of 98. He had 2 in the previous two months. These were all packing errors (lineovers).

Since Bob is my DZO, I felt I should step in. I don't pack for anyone but me, for the most part but I love this guy and wanted him around for a while.

I started packing for him and he hasn't had a mal since..., that sounds good but it sounds a lot better when you consider that the guy does 700 a year at least. So it's been almost 9 years but thats more then 6000 skydives, all on 100 sqf canopies.

I'm done patting myself on the back now, thanks. I also want to thank the other packers that have packed for Bob when he travels good job guys please keep helping me keep the streak alive.

Sorry to bring up a on old thread but Bob's streak came to and end last weekend, at over 10,000 jumps without a cutaway. I'm kind of bummed to not have been there to see it (happened at Perris), but glad to know it wasn't my packjob (regardless of what happened or why).