ltdiver

Who's watching NASCAR tomorrow? (Saturday)

So, who's watching the newest member of the NASCAR family make their debut tomorrow?

This should be interesting . . .

ltdiver

She's a skilled driver and I'm all for her entrance into NASCAR. I consider myself a Danica fan. She showed a little bit of her icy temper at Indy a couple of years ago when she was taken out in the pits so she should fit right in to NASCAR.:)

Her marketing dogs missed a prime piece of advertising real estate.

I'd like to see a Skydive The Farm patch on her butt.

Yep!....if they're not squeezing every advertising dollar they can out of her they are missing out. How much do you suppose that patch would cost The Farm?:)

So, who's watching the newest member of the NASCAR family make their debut tomorrow?

ltdiver

Eh, she's just a marketing gimmick. Literally hundreds of far better racers (some of whom have won more races than she has ever entered) are left sitting on the sidelines because they don't have a marketable butt. This was probably the final step in the transformation from NASCAR to NASJOKE.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

ltdiver

Eh, she's just a marketing gimmick. Literally hundreds of far better racers (some of whom have won more races than she has ever entered) are left sitting on the sidelines because they don't have a marketable butt. This was probably the final step in the transformation from NASCAR to NASJOKE.

NASCAR, itself, is a marketing gimmick and has been since long before Danica Patrick showed up. And you can bet that marketability is one of the reasons she is there. In the past, and maybe still, some of the "old timers" who worked their way up through the dirt tracks and local speedways had some resentment toward the guys who were given chances based on marketability. Now, for the most part, even "they" realize the value to the sport of people like Patrick. In the end she will, or will not, demonstrate her worth to her team and her sport in competition on the track. I don't think 500 miles at 200 mph in a 3000 lb stock car is a piece of cheesecake and to me there will be no shame in any effort she may make. Like they say..."the BS stops when the green flag drops". I'm betting she will do well.

Everything you said is, unfortunately, true. I feel for the multitudes who will never get a shot at the big time, regardless of talent, just because they don't have a gimmick.
HAMMER:

having worked on NASCAR for a year, touring with them...I hope to never get within 100 miles of a race again. If we wanted to eliminate the dumbest members of our society, NASCAR fans would be a great place to start.

Everything you said is, unfortunately, true. I feel for the multitudes who will never get a shot at the big time, regardless of talent, just because they don't have a gimmick.

On the other hand, some of the more "civilized" types of auto racing, IRL or CART, seems to have some of it's participants born into the sport, much like a "feudal system" of sorts. Most notably the Andretti's and the Unser's. These guys, and F1 drivers seem to be more acceptible to the "Winey-Cheesey" type of fanbase as opposed to the 75 million worldwide (claimed by NASCAR) "rednecks" who are fans of stock car racing. Maybe Patrick is smart enough to see an opportunity and seize it whether her motives are purely for her love of racing or are for personal advancement. I think she has taken quite a chance moving to NASCAR at this point in her career. Although she was doing OK before going to stock cars, she really hasn't asserted herself consistently at Indycar. NASCAR racing is an athletic sport; physically & mentally demanding even though the perception is that the drivers are a bunch of overweight, beer-bellied rednecks. Maybe that's how it started, but not now. Off the track they're expected to be as flamboyant and "out front" as any WWE wrestler while maintaining the professionalism that it takes to remain competitive.

Funny you guys are all pretty quick to jump on the stereotype bandwagon...and this from a bunch of people too stupid to know that you don't jump out of a perfectly good airplane. ;)

Seriously though, it's more athletic than you think it is. And I don't think rollin' 190+ at Dega or Daytona is for pussies.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Funny you guys are all pretty quick to jump on the stereotype bandwagon...and this from a bunch of people too stupid to know that you don't jump out of a perfectly good airplane. ;)

Seriously though, it's more athletic than you think it is. And I don't think rollin' 190+ at Dega or Daytona is for pussies.

Only the ones in enclosed race-cars. The real men are on the Superbike circuit. :ph34r:
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Especially this year. Bump-drafting is again allowed this year at Talladega and Daytona. Also, restrictor plates are opened up this year (but not eliminated). The cars should be aerodynamically able to handle the increased speeds better than before but they will be going faster. That'll allow more passing, too, and the "slingshot" will return. It's been more than 20 years since restrictor plates were first used at the super-speedways so it'll likely be "new" for most of the drivers. I'm not sure when (or if) Danica will graduate to Cup racing, but that'll be a whole new world for her, coming from IndyCar. She readily acknowledges that the ARCA, etc. races will be learning experiences for her and she intends to use them as such.

I think people will be surprised by how physical Danica will be willing to drive. She started in karts and is more than happy to bump somebody into a wall; she just can't do that in open wheel without risking getting herself involved. She's also a very smart and patient driver knowing that you can't win if you don't finish.

I'm sure there going to be quite a bit of "testing" going on from all sides.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

She's not alone.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/340745-daytona-arca-200-six-women-make-the-field
Each of the other women in the field has more career wins than Danica.
HAMMER:

ltdiver

Nah I have some paint to watch dry... much more entertaining

What color? Can you record and post so we can all watch? :)
HAMMER:

ltdiver

Nah I have some paint to watch dry... much more entertaining

What color? Can you record and post so we can all watch? :)

Its a nice white basecoat in my office... to seal the sheetrock. French doors are open and its almost 60 degrees and sunny out.:)

60 degrees and sunny? Heck, flush a bag of Skittles in the toilet and it's just like the Daytona 500 only far more interesting.
HAMMER:

Reutimanns car now that he's a Cup driver.?

I was happy to see a Reutimann finally get there. I remember watching them guys, Buzzy and Wayne, waaaaaaay back in the day on the local tracks.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember Saturday nights at Phillips field....every once in a while somebody would go off into the river.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Just had to add. She got 6th place today. ;)

Why the 'winky face'? 6th is pretty good for a debut, no? :)
Although I didn't have Speed channel on my tv, I was able to catch a bit with the streaming video on-line. She avoided some pretty spectacular crashes it appeared. :D

Now back to baking the cookies for tomorrow's Superbowl . . .

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon