Thanatos340

Dublin Ireland, Places to stay and things to see?

Just booked my trip to Europe in June. Making my first trip across the pond.

5 Days in Dublin
6 Days in Budapest
2 Days in Paris

Got Budapest and Paris all worked out... But looking for suggestions on reasonably priced but descent Hotels or Inns to stay in or near Dublin, Good Pubs, Restaurants and that sort of thing.

Anyone got suggestions??

Good Pubs

Don't be silly. What do the Irish know about drinking? :D

Seriously, tho, you'll have a fun time. It's been 15 years since my only trip to Ireland, so I'm afraid I don't really have any recollection of specific places we stayed or visited, but it's a beautiful place with great people.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I went to Ireland 2 yrs ago and Budapest last year. As far as Dublin we stayed at Jury's Inn and as I recall it was decently priced and nice. As far as pubs..anywhere in Temple Bar district was fun...my favs were The Quays, and Gohgerty's (spelling?)
Ben Gillespie
D-31054
Muff Bro #4188

You need to adjust your trip for some time in Switzerland and Norway Basejumping.

Seriously though, when in Paris find the cemetery that Jim Morrison is buried in,. Go out there about 8PM and party alnight. Everybody does it. It will be the best part of your trip. B|

"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Have you checked out www.tripadvisor.com? The hotel reviews on there are usually pretty accurate. I've also had a lot of luck with the Rick Steves travel guides for hotels, restaurants and self-giuded tours.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yes. Starting to look around those sites but Hoping to get some first hand knowledge from people I know or maybe some locals that may lurk here.

The reviews on those sites are generally accurate but what a Retired Grandmother or vacationing pastor or such may consider a Great place to stay, I might disagree with.;)

My priorities:
1. Stumbling distance from Great Pubs.
2. Somewhat near amusing things to do.
3. Roof Still attached
4. Relatively clean sheets.
5. Not stupidly Priced (Money is for Drinking, Not Sleeping)

In that order.

Just booked my trip to Europe in June. Making my first trip across the pond.

5 Days in Dublin
6 Days in Budapest
2 Days in Paris

Got Budapest and Paris all worked out... But looking for suggestions on reasonably priced but descent Hotels or Inns to stay in or near Dublin, Good Pubs, Restaurants and that sort of thing.

Anyone got suggestions??

Well, I've had this website on mine for several years ... maybe hook up with them.

What could go wrong ....

http://www.skydive.ie/
'Shell

Hi 340,

When in Paris consider The Grand Hotel Leveque.

You can contact them here:

[email protected]

They speak English ( most lodgers speak English as it is a Rick Steeves recommended hotel ) and is on a great little street with 'very' French shops & markets nearby.

And it is within walking distance to The Eiffel Tower & the Champs-Élysées.

Hope this helps . . .

JerryBaumchen

PS) Watch were you walk in Paris as they just loooove to let their dogs crap on the sidewalks. :S

saying as im an hours drive from dublin ill give a little input ;) Accomodation wise, you should consider b+bs as well as hotels as you may get a better deal for the same type of service. when i stayed over in dublin in the summer i stayed here http://www.mapleshotel.com/index.php 49euro for a double room (which could actually sleep 3 )per night and it was fantastic. Pub wise theres loads!!! its ireland B| be aware though its pretty dear for a drink in dublin city. expect at least 6euro+ per pint.
getting around isnt too hard- the DART and the LUAS have regular services around the city, with the DART operating into early hours. theres quite a lot to see around dublin and in the surrounding counties e.g you could visit Navan in County Meath (about an hours drive) and see where the ancient High Kings sat, and see some Celtic burial grounds. Belfast is only 1.5 hours by train so ya may as well make a wee visit up here and soak up some of the culture. you can book cheaper tickets online (minimum 3 days in advance) you can use http://www.translink.co.uk/enterprisebuyonline.asp closer to the time. if you are interested theres a skydive centre Irish Parachute Club not that far away in Co. Kildare :ph34r:

Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

6 Days in Budapest
2 Days in Paris

Got Budapest and Paris all worked out...

for Budapest.. What's her name ?? :):P:D

For Paris.. I thought it was "1 night in Paris", not 2 days:D:D:D

For Dublin... Get a visit of the TEMPLE... St James Gate Brewery www.guinness-storehouse.com
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Dublin June 3th-8th (No Idea where we are staying yet)
Budapest June 8th-14th (Staying with Friends in the heart of Budapest, Side trips planned to Prague and Romania)
Paris June 14th -16th (Staying at the Crowne Plaza Paris, Gotta Love those hotel points!!)

It will be Me, My Girlfriend and her Hungarian Girlfriend traveling together. Rough trip but someone has to do it. ;)

when in Paris, as you are there for a short stay, try that kind of visit :
www.parisvelosympa.com
www.parisbiketour.net

bicycle is a quick way to discover the town, plus with a guide you get most of the interesting stuff. The city is mainly pretty flat, and it's easy to cylcle around.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I love Dublln. Definitely the Temple Bar area for partying and such. Touring the Guinness Factory is a must. They have a bus tour thing during the day where you can get on and off at your leisure at various sites..

I did a pub crawl when I was there - I think mine had something to do with Dublin writers or something but the tourist information center had lots of info on the various ones. It was actually a lot of fun.

Visit the IPC parachute center while you're there. Great people, real friendly. Just watch out for sheep!

And good luck finding good food in Dublin - only good food I ever found was in pubs (standard pub fare), and for breakfast - the Irish can make a good breakfast.

Head to Kilkenny! B| Place is freaking awesome - every other shop is a pub! :)

Oh, and if you run into a man named Dennis Gundy kick him in the shins for me!

Have fun!!!
g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I live in dublin some of the time, I dont like it at all but I'm forced to stay here half of every week due to work. Dublin got destroyed during the econmic boom, everyone here got greedy and mean and we lost alot of the friendlyness that Ireland was known for.

To see the old Ireland and to try and escape the nastyness of Dublin you have to head down the country. A previous poster mentioned Kilkenny, this is a great place. My favorite city in Ireland is Galway, I cant describe how much it rocks. Doolin is also legendary.

Temple bar is a fun place to go out in dublin but its mostly tourists there, the pubs charge €6 and upwards for a pint in temple bar! check out this pub in dublin, http://www.myspace.com/thecobblestone its a real irish bar ;;)

Where ever you go you probably wont remember much anyway, you will be drunk as an ass. The guinness is unreal here, its just not the same anywhere else!

Buy your euros now!!!! the exchange rate for you americans is great. I'm heading to florida next week and I'm getting killed on the exchange rate. I cant wait to jump at DeLand and Z-Hills!!!