peregrinerose

Bone Marrow Donation List Free til the 22nd

From June 8-22nd, www.marrow.org will send you a test kit and add you to the bone marrow donor list at no charge. It's normally $100. The money is the only reason I never signed up before, and I just found out about this today, so figured I'd pass it along in case any of you were interested. Both my husband and I signed up this morning.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

$100 donor list? I signed up once when I was giving blood. I got the call to donate marrow when I was 21. Went through testing and ended up donating. Had to be one of the most painful things I ever did. Maybe the local wasn't working or something but it hurt like hell. I hope the person who got my donation is doing well.B| In the end it was worth it in my mind.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

My life was saved by a Stem Cell Transplant. I was lucky enough to have a sybling donor, but a lot of people are searching the world over for a match.
Being a Bone Marrow Donor is a very real way to save someone's life!!

Don't blow this off...JUST DO IT!!(you'll be glad you did...):)

"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

$100 donor list? I signed up once when I was giving blood. I got the call to donate marrow when I was 21. Went through testing and ended up donating. Had to be one of the most painful things I ever did. Maybe the local wasn't working or something but it hurt like hell. I hope the person who got my donation is doing well.B| In the end it was worth it in my mind.

They've completely changed the process for obtaining the bone marrow and it is no longer painful. Well, no more painful than donating blood.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

This is terrific.

As an aside, if I were on their Board, I'd advise them to keep their fund-raising function un-linked from their marrow donation function. Both functions are very important, but it logically seems to me that linking the two would have a chilling effect on obtaining marrow donors, thereby running counter to their core mission.

They've completely changed the process for obtaining the bone marrow and it is no longer painful. Well, no more painful than donating blood.

How do they do it now? They went in on the back of my hip when I donated.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

The easiest way to describe it is that it is like dialysis. Your hooked up to a machine that takes blood from one arm, filters it through the machine taking the cells they need and returns the unused blood back in the other arm.

Its pretty amazing stuff. Its my understanding that in very rare instances they may still have to go into the hip, but it doesn't happen very often.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

I just got on the registry on Thursday - my employer sponsored the drive so there was no charge for us, either. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hello,I've been a member Canadian Blood Services, Unrelated Bone Marrow Registry since
1990. Twice I've been contacted when there was
a possibility, I might be a match, the last time
was when D.N.A. matching had just been instituted.
So, in the future, should someone be in need.
There won't be any doubt whether there's a match.
Addtitionaly, I just gave my 52nd blood donation,
which I've been doing since 1975,so figure it out,
approximately 8 pints/ person.Mike.Montagne
Be Brave, embrace the fear,
even if your not, pretend to be.
No one can tell the difference

I'm confused.... why would signing up to donate EVER cost money?

And the site is insisting I pay...

"The promo code entered below is invalid -- but patients still need your help! You can join the Registry by using a credit card to pay the $52 needed to cover tissue typing costs. Clear the Promo Code field to continue."

Sorry... but this smells phishy.
Owned by Remi #?

The easiest way to describe it is that it is like dialysis. Your hooked up to a machine that takes blood from one arm, filters it through the machine taking the cells they need and returns the unused blood back in the other arm.

Its pretty amazing stuff. Its my understanding that in very rare instances they may still have to go into the hip, but it doesn't happen very often.

My wife had a stem cell transplant for leukemia in Seattle WA on February 7, 2006. Her sister was her donor and they hooked her up to a machine to extract the stem cells.

My wife has confirmed what you said...in some instances the bone marrow route is still preferred. My wife had hers done at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Centre....VERY impressive place.

I am incredulous that you have to pay to register. As previously mentioned it seems counter-productive. Even if you pay...$100 is a small price to pay to give somebody their life.

Cheers,

Murray

From what I've seen, local marrow drives are often at no charge. I've just never been able to get to one. When I donate blood, being on the marrow registry has never been an option. This is the only site I've seen for it, and this site has been very publicized, so isn't phishy.

I had no promo code to enter, just left it blank. The total fees were $0. I didn't even enter credit card data, just skipped that part entirely.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda