DOA

Full face helmet/visor. Can anyone wear one?

Hi,
I'm going to FL in July doing my AFF/cosol and weather permitting my FS1 (all in 2 weeks, the DZ say it's not impossible). I'm looking at gear prices etc but not buying anything yet. But my question is can a novice wear a full face helmet such as a bonehead HAVOK? Or is there a "helmet" qualification I also need to complete :S

Thx
Phil.

-------------------------------------
When I learn new stuff, it pushes the old stuff out of my brain!

Under BPA rules you need B licence to wear a full face. Not sure about USPA. Not ideal for students though IMHO due to retricted vision etc...
-------------------------------------------------
Woooaaaaaa!!! Woooaaaa!!! I'm gettin' off it!

I think someone said they wanted 50 jumps at my DZ for a full face, but I have jumped one since 30 jumps.

My two cents.... Learn how to open the visor as good as you know your EPs. Learn to do it with one hand, with your eyes closed... Here is why... On cold days it can fog up and you lose visibility - and more importantly, when it is fogged up just a bit, opening it under canopy is real helpful.

Actually, my opening sequence is now something like this. Pull, it opens, I look for traffic (rear riser as needed), I inspect the canopy, I OPEN THE HELMET, I do the slider/toggles thing... I like the wind in my face as I fly the canopy, you really can tell what your airspeed is, etc... No sun glare on the shield either. Being able to open the visor in 1/2 a second one handed is a good skill to have. That is why I like the oxygn over the havoc, so I can open the visor without opening the whole face. Just me.

The USPA has no requirments to wear a full face.

I would just do what the instructors at the DZ I am going to tell me to do.

One issue might be that a fullface could make hearing the radio harder.

Relax and wait to get gear till you know a bit more and are off student status.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Under BPA rules you need B licence to wear a full face.

One of these days I'll hear someone say: "Under BPA rules you need a B licence to take a shit before jumping". When I do hear it, I will neither be surprised nor sceptical.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yeh, I think someone along the way has said it's generally 50+ jumps before they like u using a full face helmet. And also know your EP's backwards, and learn how to open the visor blind folded with one hand.

Great. I'm not leaping in and buying one now, but I can see myself buying one after the FS1. U see I wear glasses and see this as my best option.

Thx for the feedback
Phil.

Phil.

but man does the bonehead Havok look good

Regardless of when you move to wearing a full face, just make sure you demo the different brands before you put $ on the line. What looks good doesn't always fit good.

I tried a bunch of different helmets before choosing one, and it was a good thing. I hated how some of them fit.

Have fun in Florida!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

One of these days I'll hear someone say: "Under BPA rules you need a B licence to take a shit before jumping". When I do hear it, I will neither be surprised nor sceptical.

under BPA rules you need a B license to take a shit!!!:P

sorry i couldn't help it,

seriously though, one thing about a full face, put it on and look for your handles, make sure it doesn't block your field of view and if it does be comfy with finding them blind. mine doesn't block my view but it may fit differently for you.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hi,
I'm going to FL in July doing my AFF/cosol and weather permitting my FS1 (all in 2 weeks, the DZ say it's not impossible). I'm looking at gear prices etc but not buying anything yet. But my question is can a novice wear a full face helmet such as a bonehead HAVOK? Or is there a "helmet" qualification I also need to complete :S

Thx
Phil.

I am anti-fullface!!!!

But that is just my personal feelings.;):D:D
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I did my AFF and A licence in Florida all wearing a Havok from the start because of my glasses. I also liked it because I wanted to wear a full-face in the tunnel. Peripheral vision is less good imho than the newer Mamba and I have since switched to that.

Tim
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

_Am

Actually the BPA Ops Manual recommends a shit before jumping even while still a student. Apparently it allows the bowel pressure to equalise more gradually during the ascent to altitude so that students don't get so nervous.

But the shit does have to be overseen by a qualified instructor, who must maintain a firm grip on the student at all times to ensure that they do not fall into the toilet. Unless they already have PT1 (potty trained grade one). Older skydivers with a blue licence are grandfathered on this regulation.

hope that helped.:o

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

To be honest it is a kind off stupid rule, Doesn't really bother me as i am quite happy with a open face just know. The time you do need it is when doing RW and it saves a kick in the face ;).
To me i ride a bike and wouldn't even consider a open face helmet as just to dangerous and i am well aware off how you have to be on the ball with what is happening all around you not just infront. And even though i have experience off a full face helmet on a motorbike, i still can't wear one in the air:S

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

fair point. I also had a road bike till very recently. I was always a visor boy myself. Not much fun being hit on the cheek @ 30mph neh mind 120 , yes it hurt and to add insult to injury the bee stung me on impact ! Just missed my eye so had a lucky escape. Would like to have a bee sting my eyeball !!

So, while i like the idea of a full face helmet and also the fact I wear glasses. I'll get more advise on the DZ.

tHANKS EVERYONE

If you're set on a full face your best bet is simply to wear borrowed pro-tech's and flex vision goggles over your glasses till you get your B.

You're hoping to get FS1 ASAP anyway - B Licence will follow soon after (only other requirements are total 50 jumps and a canopy handling cert) at which point you can ditch them for a full face.

If you require your own helmet in the mean time, a protech only sets yo back a couple of quid and if you're fashion conscious get a half-shell or snow boarding helmet as they look good and don't cost much either.