ltdiver

Wireless Streaming Netflix

Looking to start a Netfilx account, mainly for their streaming video. I know they don't have every title this way, so an occasional DVD might be needed every now and then as well. I already have 2 older DVD players that still work well.

Here's the question (for the streaming bit). After doing a bit of research, it appears that there are many different ways to hook Netflix up to your tv for playing. (Not really interested in sitting at my computer (4:3 ratio) to watch a movie. Would rather have HD 16:9.)

Also, my DSL modem is in my office, and the HD tv is in the livingroom. Wireless router (Apple) already installed and working fine. 108.llb) Apple OS 10.4.11 in a Power PC G4.

Several ways to hook the ISP up wirelessly to the tv. Which method would *you* recommend? (see attachments of those I saw at Best Buy today).

1) Wireless Receiver (inbuilt) in a new Samsung Blueray DVD player

2a) Wireless Receiver (external--Apple) in a new DVD player

2b) Wireless Receiver (external--Samsung) in a new DVD player

3) Wireless Receiver (external) in a Wii Sport

4) Wireless Receiver (external) in a XBox360

**Not looking to spend a bundle. If I was, there is a brand new Panasonic Blue Ray DVD player that has an inbuilt wireless receiver and digital tuner for $2100. :P

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

For resolution the Wii is the worst choice, but the best if you have one and nothing else and you don't want to spend any more money.

I run a Roku HD and love it. The Roku also does Amazon video on demand and Pandora radio. There's a lot of other "channels" available, but those are the only ones that are available right now that I find worth while.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For resolution the Wii is the worst choice, but the best if you have one and nothing else and you don't want to spend any more money.

I run a Roku HD and love it. The Roku also does Amazon video on demand and Pandora radio. There's a lot of other "channels" available, but those are the only ones that are available right now that I find worth while.

Interesting. No, I don't have any player that will work for setting this up (yet). Other than my computer with a direct connection. Thought the Wii would be a nice addition to my exercise program, though. Didn't know the resolution would be suspect. Thanks.

Just read a bit on the Roku . . . My maximum internet connection is 3.0 MB. That would mean I'd have to downgrade to the SD version, right? Their internet site reports that in order to use their HD player you need at least a 5.0 MB connection. Correct?

We have a Wii. We love our Wii and Morgan LOVES the Wii Fit and various similar games. I really love the "in house" titles like Zelda, the New Super Mario Brothers is quite literally the best in the history of the series. All the old titles available for download is a LOT of fun. Its important to remember that its not a HD machine, its a very fun gaming console that does other things OK.

As for your connection speed, I don't remember reading about that, the box was relatively cheap so I bought the top one and hooked it up. The quality is pretty good.

If you want another option that still has BluRay abilities... PS3. You can get Streaming Netflix for the PS3 and it will work with any WiFi Signal so the Apple Airport will work. You can hard wire it in to the built in port on the PS3 if you want or use the built in Wifi.

Best option... PS3 off Craigslist. You can get one that is in great shape for around $200-225 or so for an older 40 gig model with games and it has the BluRay ability, the Streaming Netflix, gaming and it will even be able to do BluRay 3d once they release some firmware updates I guess (I know that has no abilities for you Lori but for others it might).

The PS3 will also let you do streaming music form your computer to your entertainment center and any stereo you have set up there.

PS3 has Component, HDMI and composite outputs so literally just about any format your TV supports it can output in it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you use an Xbox 360, you have to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold in addition to the cost of Netflix.

I have a 360 hardwired with a 12MB connection and still have issues with HD quality. Most of the time, it's almost like watching a VHS tape. Can't even imagine how shitty it would be, if I were using wireless.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

We have a Wii. . . . Its important to remember that its not a HD machine, its a very fun gaming console that does other things OK.

Hmmmm...So let's see, I may not be able to get HD anyway, so this may still be an option. We have a Wii at work (for our patients to use) and we have alot of fun using it. Just the Wii Sport, that is.

As for your connection speed, I don't remember reading about that, the box was relatively cheap so I bought the top one and hooked it up. The quality is pretty good.

Scroll down to the bottom left of this page and see if what I read is correct on the HD WiFi connection speed need:
http://www.roku.com/roku-products

If you use an Xbox 360, you have to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold in addition to the cost of Netflix.

I have a 360 hardwired with a 12MB connection and still have issues with HD quality. Most of the time, it's almost like watching a VHS tape. Can't even imagine how shitty it would be, if I were using wireless.

Good info. Thanks!

Scratch Xbox.

If you want another option that still has BluRay abilities... PS3. You can get Streaming Netflix for the PS3 and it will work with any WiFi Signal so the Apple Airport will work. You can hard wire it in to the built in port on the PS3 if you want or use the built in Wifi.

Hadn't thought of the PS3. Interesting.
http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1896

Not really a 'gamer', but who knows...

and it will even be able to do BluRay 3d once they release some firmware updates I guess (I know that has no abilities for you Lori but for others it might).

Ah, you remembered . . . :)

Nope, looks like you are 100% correct. Well, you know it really seems like you want a Wii and this would be a good excuse to buy one. I can't blame you, we love the one we have! Be sure to get Mario Kart.

Worst case you don't like the streaming video on the Wii, but then you still have a Wii to play with. (That sounds so wrong).:D

i really dont know about the apple, but on my wireless cable setup it works great... do you know how fast your dsl is? alot of netflix is in sd, though alot is in hd. setup was easy... i would email the company to make sure it would work on your sytem..tony

i really dont know about the apple, but on my wireless cable setup it works great... do you know how fast your dsl is? alot of netflix is in sd, though alot is in hd. setup was easy... i would email the company to make sure it would work on your sytem..tony

Just went to their FAQ and found this:

Apple
M7601LL/B AirPort Base Station
M8799LL/A AirPort Extreme Base Station (wireless G)
M9470LL/A AirPort Express
MB053LL/A AirPort Extreme (wireless N)

Mine is a 802.11b. (M7600LL/E) So, perhaps this isn't compatible? :^( Wirelessly, that is. And here I was getting all excited over the Roku.

The below list does not represent the only routers or access points that will work with the Roku player. Any router or access point that supports the 802.11b or 802.11g wireless protocol should work with the Roku player... faq page... tony

I currently use both Netflix and AmazonOnDemand to stream instant movies to my Sony Bravia. I find the Netflix resolution to be complete shit. Even the "HD" movies are not that great and the non-HD movies are so bad I can't even watch them. Amazon on the other hand has great resolution about the same as HD tv which is 1080i. Also the movie selection for Nexflix instant watch is very slim. I think you will be disappointed if you want it mainly for the streaming video.

The difference is with Amazon you pay per movie but you can chose from most all new releases. The movie selection and picture quality is far superior to Netflix.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Just bought a Blue ray player today at Best buy with built in WiFi. By built in they mean you plug a USB looking antenna dongle into the back of the player or with the short cable to give it better reception. Connecting it wirelessly is the same as connecting a computer to a wireless network for the first time. You need to know the SSID, type of encryption and the assigned password.

I saw that I can do Amazon or net flicks but haven't tried either one. I did watch some YouTube videos but the window they play on is small and typing with a remote control requires a good deal of patience. Oh yeah, I can get the weather report on it to for my area along with stock quotes. IMO, the best thing about the wifi is being able to download firmware updates automatically. So far, I am not impressed with it and think its pretty much a gimmick. After hearing how bad Net flicks is I am still inclined to just buy the movies I want to see on Blue ray or DVD and watch them in my player.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just bought a Blue ray player today at Best buy with built in WiFi. By built in they mean you plug a USB looking antenna dongle into the back of the player or with the short cable to give it better reception.

Yep, saw that set-up as well. Wasn't sure how slick it'd be, so didn't buy it. Thanks for letting me know your impression. Good thing there's a 30 day return policy, 'eh?

Still undecided how I want to go about setting this thing up. I hear some are happy as clams with Netflix, and others not so much. The Samsung blue ray (internal WiFi) I was looking at supports both Netflix and Amazon as well.

Just bought a Blue ray player today at Best buy with built in WiFi. By built in they mean you plug a USB looking antenna dongle into the back of the player or with the short cable to give it better reception.

Yep, saw that set-up as well. Wasn't sure how slick it'd be, so didn't buy it. Thanks for letting me know your impression. Good thing there's a 30 day return policy, 'eh?

Still undecided how I want to go about setting this thing up. I hear some are happy as clams with Netflix, and others not so much. The Samsung blue ray (internal WiFi) I was looking at supports both Netflix and Amazon as well.

Don't get me wrong, the Blue ray is awesome and worth it IMO( Watched Avatar in Blue ray ) so I have no complaints about that at all. I'm just not sure the wifi feature is a must have item as it seems to be more of a hassle to navigate through on the remote and if there is a limited or poor quality to watching movies this way as some have stated, I may never even bother with it again.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Well, made a decision, finally. Picked up a Sony Blu-ray Player, Model BDP-S570. It has an internal WiFi connection.

After trying to set it up with Sony's technical support, I finally went to Apple's Discussion Pages and found the answer. WiFi has to be manually set-up.

Working great now!! Listening to Pandora through this connection, piped through my theatre system (external speakers). NICE!

Registered with Amazon's Video-on Demand and look forward to figuring that out another day. Netflix may not be the way to go, I hear. ;)

Thanks for everyone's input! :)
ltdiver

Registered with Amazon's Video-on Demand and look forward to figuring that out another day. Netflix may not be the way to go, I hear. ;)

I use both, but I use Netflix WAY more than I use Amazon. I'm just on the 1-DVD-at-a-time, $9/month plan, and with the "instant watch" I find that it's more than enough. I simply don't have the time to watch everything that I want to watch on there, so I usually can't see any reason to pay to watch anything on Amazon. (I was buying "Breaking Bad" episodes for a while, but I finally thought screw it - I'll just wait til the DVD is available from Netflix. ;-)

We use Amazon video on demand for movies that we want to watch right now that Netflix doesn't have available on instant watch. It saves us the trip to Hastings to rent a DVD. We have 2-out at a time on Netflix (hers and mine, is how we try to set the queue up) with instant watch. We use Amazon video on demand rarely, but its nice when we do.

Just set my iPhone up with the app "BD Remote" and it works great interfacing with the Sony DVD player. No more 'hunt and peck' with the Sony remote. I can use the iPhone keyboard to type. Much cleaner and faster! :^)

Also, the YouTube small screen can be enlarged to regular size with a tap of a button. Some folks upload decent resolution video, others don't. Just spent a bit of time tonight playing around with some favorite programs people have uploaded. Quite a nice feature! Especially since my computer doesn't seem to like FLASH much anymore.

ltdiver