steve1

Shoe Goo

I was wondering where you can buy some of this stuff. I'm trying to get another year out of my favorite jump suit. The booties are about shot, and I am hoping to goo up the bottoms. I've never used this stuff. Is it worth messing with? Thanks,....Steve1

Most likely any walmart type store will have it, it is quite common.

It might not do what you want if the booties are really worn. It is more expensive, but I like the idea of getting some leather cut and sewn on as a sacrificial layer. I'm gonna do it to mine soon.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Found mine at Wal-Mart in the shoe section.

The damn super Wal-Mart here doesn't carry it any more>:(

I've gotten it at Target in the past, so I'll have to head over there today, if not then I'm sure Home Depot carries it.

Steve, you might want to look into getting the booties replaced if that's the only thing falling apart on the jumpsuit. I have a Bev Suit and one of my booties fell apart in the tunnel. I sent it in to Bev and she replaced both booties for $30 plus shipping and handling. Hence my search for more shoe goo.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Ok, here's a stupid question - where do you apply it? Just around the edges where it meets the jumpsuit material or other? My first jumpsuit, I put it all over the bottom and that just didn't seem to work, so I obviously did something wrong. I have a new jumpsuit and a new tube of the stuff - please educate me! :$
Thanks

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

I found a similar stuff (Shoe Goo, Goop, etc.) at Canadian Tire.
Apply it to the sole of the bootie and the seam around he sole ... extending maybe an inch up the sides of the booties.
Shoe Goo doubles the life of bootie soles.
Of course, the other thing you can do to increase the life of booties is to wait until just before boarding to don them (Cessnas) and remove them right after landing.
If jumpsuit manufacturers were as brilliant as they claim, they would sew on "bootie retainer gadgets" similar to birdman suits, to prevent booties from draggin when you walk.

I've gooed a lot of booties (hmmm, that sounds funny) and this is a sure-fire way: put the tube o goo in a cup of hot water to soften it up, spread newspaper everywhere ("hey, how did shoe goo end up there?!"), open all the windows or do it outside, and use a plastic knife to spread the goo on in a thin layer. Hang the suit up and let dry overnight then apply another thin coat. It takes about 24 hours to be really dry.

from another thread...

i like to spread the goo up to about 1/2" above and below the bootie/cordura seam. if you want the leather to be non-skid, then coat the entire leather area, but be aware that when you wash the suit, the goo may peel in places.

Thanks for all the great input. If I had known about the great price of having them replaced by Bev I would have done that last winter when I wasn't jumping. Guess I'll wait till next Fall and do that.

I sewed on some pieces of leather out of deer skin that I had tanned myself. I put this over the old leather which was worn way down. This worked great until I washed my suit. The hot water washed out the tan, and the deer-skin leather ended up as hard as a rock. I sounded like a tap dancer everytime I went to get on a load. I recently replaced this with some other factory tanned leather, but it too is really thin and soft. I'm hoping the shoe goo will help. I'm anxious to try this out....Steve1

I had no luck at Walmart, Target, K-Mart, Home Depot. Ended up getting it just around the corner at Ace Hardware.

Phil

Yup, Ace is where I found it[:/] But, the shoe store down the street has it too:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Most likely any walmart type store will have it, it is quite common.

It might not do what you want if the booties are really worn. It is more expensive, but I like the idea of getting some leather cut and sewn on as a sacrificial layer. I'm gonna do it to mine soon.

I've resurrected some pretty badly shot booties with the stuff. It works very well,

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Go to an old fashioned shoe repair shop, or if you live in a rural area a cobbler/blacksmith. Either should have stiff, heavy-grade leather to put on the bottom. If you want to do it yourself, never tried this, but contact cement from Home Depot would work

Hey, I'm newish to this game and have a sparkingly shiny new suit that I wanna look after forever and ever, question is, does having shoo goo on your soles affect your grip when diving out? (I just joined a 4way team and dont wanna be slipping when I'm supposed to be aggressively exiting).

Can I mark a 'tread' into the goo? Would this help? Is there a noticeable difference in grip? Or am I just procrastinating?

cheers.

Hey, I'm newish to this game and have a sparkingly shiny new suit that I wanna look after forever and ever, question is, does having shoo goo on your soles affect your grip when diving out? (I just joined a 4way team and dont wanna be slipping when I'm supposed to be aggressively exiting).

Can I mark a 'tread' into the goo? Would this help? Is there a noticeable difference in grip? Or am I just procrastinating?

cheers.

I do this (kind-of). I make ridges in the Goo layer, more on principle than from any measured data that it makes a difference. The only time I think it makes a difference is when I'm back on the camera step.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think thats mostly psychological. For best traction, you want as much contact between your sticky sole and the surface: that why in dry condition, race car tires are smooth. Its only when there is water that ridges help. Same reasing climbing shoes are smooth.
Remster

Haha, i jump in the uk! it rains all the time over here and although i try not to jump when its raining, it is often slick on the ground. ie slippery when landing and then the wet shoes passes moisture into the plane and the exit gets as slippery as hell. Some ridges for me i think then! thanks for the advice.

Bri