amstalder

Bicycle riders! I need help...

So over the last few weeks Ive discovered spinning. I actually really enjoy it and Ive been going everyday. However! How in the world am I supposed to deal with the bumps and chafing it's creating on and between my legs?! B|

Oh and kind of off topic: in the fall, Im thinking about getting a road bike, any recommendations on a beginner bike that wont destroy the bank?

A proper cycling short. I'm familiar enough with women's anatomy to know it's different than men's :ph34r:, so I wont try and recommend a particular model. Chamois type preference is pretty personal anyway. Here's gear review from bicycling.com: http://bicycling.com/gear/topic/1,7987,s1-15-71-0,00.html
Go to a local bike store to start off and see what they have, and try some on. Tip: dont wear any underwear (except when you try them at the store :ph34r:)

Quite a few riders also use a chamois cream. I personally use Body Glide. Lots of people swear by Assos chamois cream, and DZ Nuts is a pretty popular one too.

For the bike, try before you buy! Here are some women's specific pick for the year's best bikes:http://bicycling.com/gear/topic/1,7987,s1-16-96-0,00.html

But you need to figure out what your budget is 1st.

Remster

I can't wait to see some of the responses this is bound to draw.

Oh I know.... But hopefully someone will have some helpful recommendations. :)

Ya know . . .

I'll just abstain in this one - maybe.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Serious question....

where are you getting chaffed at? From one thigh rubbing on another or what?

No I realized this morning that my thighs are rubbing right against the little point of the seat when Im seated... So as soon as I got home I dug out my compression shorts for until I can get a more appropriate fix.

A proper cycling short. I'm familiar enough with women's anatomy to know it's different than men's :ph34r:, so I wont try and recommend a particular model. Chamois type preference is pretty personal anyway. Here's gear review from bicycling.com: http://bicycling.com/gear/topic/1,7987,s1-15-71-0,00.html
Go to a local bike store to start off and see what they have, and try some on. Tip: dont wear any underwear (except when you try them at the store :ph34r:)

Quite a few riders also use a chamois cream. I personally use Body Glide. Lots of people swear by Assos chamois cream, and DZ Nuts is a pretty popular one too.

For the bike, try before you buy! Here are some women's specific pick for the year's best bikes:http://bicycling.com/gear/topic/1,7987,s1-16-96-0,00.html

Awesome thanks! I think Im definitely going to check out a bike store this weekend.:)
Im going to figure out my budget over the summer, since I know I wont have time to actually ride until fall (plus its hot as hell right now!)

So over the last few weeks Ive discovered spinning. I actually really enjoy it and Ive been going everyday. However! How in the world am I supposed to deal with the bumps and chafing it's creating on and between my legs?! B|

Oh and kind of off topic: in the fall, Im thinking about getting a road bike, any recommendations on a beginner bike that wont destroy the bank?

Just attach one of these to the frame, it'll keep everything spread!:ph34r: Probably NSFW
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Serious question....

No I realized this morning that my thighs are rubbing right against the little point of the seat when Im seated... So as soon as I got home I dug out my compression shorts for until I can get a more appropriate fix.

Have you tried Tipping the seat down a bit? The front of the seat used to crush my nuts and someone told me to do this and it solved the problem. I cycle to work everyday (about 20 miles a day) and I haven't had any problems since.

Serious question....

Have you tried Tipping the seat down a bit? The front of the seat used to crush my nuts and someone told me to do this and it solved the problem. I cycle to work everyday (about 20 miles a day) and I haven't had any problems since.

Interesting. I dont know if I can do that with the spin bikes, but I'll look into it! Thanks.

Serious question....

Interesting. I dont know if I can do that with the spin bikes, but I'll look into it! Thanks.

Ha, I guess I should have read the question better.[:/]:D

The front of the seat used to crush my nuts

I'm pretty sure it's not her problem! ;)

The seat should be level (a carpenter's bubble level is in fact one of the tools you should have when adjusting your bike). That being said, small adjustments can make a huge difference. If your saddle points up too much, it will hurt down there... If its pointed down too much, your arms, shoulders and wrists will take a beating.

Spin bikes are typically limited in their adjustments tho...
Remster

>However! How in the world am I supposed to deal with the bumps and
>chafing it's creating on and between my legs?

Like Remi said, eight panel lined shorts that fit well make a huge difference.

For a road bike, your best bet is to find a local bike store that will actually fit the bike to you. You can get a reasonable bike for around $400-500. I'd recommend 700c wheels with drop bars and a triple crank. The bike store is important because they will be able to advise you on frame sizes, seat adjustment etc.

Buying used is an alternative but you are more stuck with what you can get. One option is to buy a used bike that "feels good" to you, then go to a bike store and give them $50 for a tune-up and a fit. They'll be able to do some things (seat height, seat angle, stem height etc) to make it fit you a little better, and will also do the basic preventative maintenance that will keep the bike working well.

Awesome thanks! I think Im definitely going to check out a bike store this weekend.:)
Im going to figure out my budget over the summer, since I know I wont have time to actually ride until fall (plus its hot as hell right now!)

Shaddup!:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Serious question....

They make seats for Women, that are open in the center! Also there is a product,(this is not bullshit) called "Butt Butter" that helps!

Serious question....

They make seats for Women, that are open in the center! Also there is a product,(this is not bullshit) called "Butt Butter" that helps!

Actually, the seats with an opening in the center are designed for men. Its to reduce the pressure on the perineum. Women's seats are usually designed wider to account for the wider sit-bones women have. A good bike shop should be able to measure you sit-bone distance and recommend the saddle (tho, saddles are probably the most personal issue!)

And it's Chamois Butt'r... ;)
Remster

>However! How in the world am I supposed to deal with the bumps and
>chafing it's creating on and between my legs?

Like Remi said, eight panel lined shorts that fit well make a huge difference.

For a road bike, your best bet is to find a local bike store that will actually fit the bike to you. You can get a reasonable bike for around $400-500. I'd recommend 700c wheels with drop bars and a triple crank. The bike store is important because they will be able to advise you on frame sizes, seat adjustment etc.

Buying used is an alternative but you are more stuck with what you can get. One option is to buy a used bike that "feels good" to you, then go to a bike store and give them $50 for a tune-up and a fit. They'll be able to do some things (seat height, seat angle, stem height etc) to make it fit you a little better, and will also do the basic preventative maintenance that will keep the bike working well.

Thanks for the info! :)

Several of our local shops, san diego, sell Butt Butter!

Does it have a penis shaped applicator?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What exactly are these butt creams and butter supposed to do??

Smooths the rubbing near the anus,(raw ass, or saddle sores) and can also work on thiehs!

And as far as I know, might work for that kinky boyfrieND that insist on going where no man has gone before!

Get a Brooks leather saddle and some proper shorts with a chamois. And make sure the saddle is level.

Thousands of kilometers on the cobbles of Europe and I never once had a case of 'the red ass'.

And if you like to spin, a road bike and a set if Kreitler rollers will allow you to do it indoors as needed. Just don't watch TV with anything you are into like sports. I jacked up walls and furniture more than a couple times when I became distracted and flew the bike off the rollers.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama