airdvr

Do your kids a favor..

..and get rid of all of your junk before you die. We're going through Rox's moms stuff. The greateset generation was also the generation that save useless junk [:/]

No shit. My wife's grandmother has a house full of junk in Queens, NY. Jesus Christ.... and she gets pissy when we try to sneak some of it out of the house to toss away. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

..and get rid of all of your junk before you die. We're going through Rox's moms stuff. The greateset generation was also the generation that save useless junk [:/]

I am an antique collecter...send that useless junk to me please!
Seriously, run an add, many people will come clean it out for free , just to take the treasure out of the junk!

My mom asked my grandma to see if she had any clothes to donate. Her closet is so packed, she can hardly move the clothes. She came up with about 10 things that she could donate. As I was trying to convince her to part with a few more things, I pointed to a shirt that has a stain on it. She replied, "oh, I can't get rid of a shirt just because it has a stain on it."
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I know a lot of pack rats. Its amazing since most don't even remember whats under all the shit.

Its kind of fun to go through the stuff when they're gone. I had the pleasure of cleaning out 2 hangers full of airplane shit my Uncle accumulated. Uncovered all kinds of stuff that had been buried for many years.

It was also quite profitable as I got big $$$ for some of it. Among the most memorable items were 6 brand new in the crate airplane engines from the 1930's.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

My Dad had us kids come up and go through his stuff awhile back and tell him what we wanted when he passed. After that was done he said "Take it, now". Honestly that was tough, but I try to understand. I did take an old firearm thats been in the family for years, and a lot of old old tools, lots of stuff I dont even know what it is, or what its for?? It was his stuff and truthfully it made me feel good to let him know some of his "stuff" means something to someone. Now my Mom, she's the packrat. Some of those things of hers she knows I hope to get when she passes, like the flag from her Daddy's burial service, and only a few other things. She knows what will happen to the majority of her stuff (by my siblings hands, not mine).

Its thier stuff, who the fuck am I to trivialize what is important to them?

*edit* Just my thoughts on it, my personal opinion on my personal situation
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I forgot to add that my parents could be the king of pack-rats... Their house has a full basement, and it is jam-packed with junk. At least 50% of the junk is stuff passed down from generation to generation.

I am NOT looking forward to the day I have to clean that house out. :|

The upside I have to look forward to is that some of that junk could very well be worth a pretty penny. Dad has every goddamn issue of Playboy magazine going back to its inception. Only problem is most of them are covered in dust. :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've started writing notes to my kids and taping them to the bottom of the things that I cherish the most and want specific kids or grandkids to have. Generally the note tells why the item was important to me and why I want that person to have it.

Currently I'm in my early 50's and I don't plan on leaving this world any time soon, but we don't always get to make the call on when that day will be. As I get a bit older, I will most likely start handing out the things that I want the kids or grandkids to have

Of course most of my stuff is just that, "stuff", and nobody will really have any use for a lot of it.

My grandmother was like that (mom's side). When she died, my mom and her brother had a hell of a job going through all the stuff.

Much of it went to Goodwill. (at least it went to a good place).

A year or so after my dad died, my mom sold the old house and moved into a much smaller place. She gave us an opportunity to "claim" what we wanted. We took the stuff she didn't want and all have lists of what each other gets when she is gone.

She has since gone through 35 years of accumulated stuff (she had done a couple "clean sweeps" in prior years). A lot of it went into the garbage (or recycle - we probably put half a ton of paper out) but we were taking a trunk load to St Vincent de Paul every other week for a long time.

She said straight out that she didn't want to put us through what she went through.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I've started writing notes to my kids and taping them to the bottom of the things that I cherish the most and want specific kids or grandkids to have. Generally the note tells why the item was important to me and why I want that person to have it.

That's a really, really great idea. And I agree with dropdeded that it's the parents' stuff, and how they choose to live is up to them.

My mother used to fear that my brothers and I would fight over the books :o

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And I agree with dropdeded that it's the parents' stuff, and how they choose to live is up to them.

As do I. I'm just sayin' that we're wondering why she would have kept most of the stuff she did. A pretty large box of scratch pads, a bunch of old newspapers that we have no idea what the significance would be.

That generation remembers what it was like to not have things..and they save everything.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Among the most memorable items were 6 brand new in the crate airplane engines from the 1930's.

That's like finding gold!B|

Old airplane parts? Worth keeping.
Old Beanie Babies? Huck 'em.:P

I look through antique stores sometimes and think I must have thrown away a small fortune in old toys, etc. However, at some point your possessions start to own you. Much better to lighten your load in this life, IMHO.:)