grimmie

The NHL playoff thread!

Hell of a game! Congrats to the Hawks and all their fans. Much as I hate the Flyers fans, I applaud them for their booing of Bettman. [:/]

Grimmie...it must have hurt to watch Hossa skate around with it as long as he did...he didn't want to give it up.

Flyers never quit. I told my boys with about 5 minutes left that the Hawks needed another goal because I felt the Flyers had another goal in them. They had a hell of a run.

Edited to add - this was an outstanding playoff season, lots of twists and turns and great performances.
See you guys next year!

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

It didn't hurt me too much to watch Hossa skate with the Cup. I'm still bitter he left the Pens, but it's just business!:P

That was a great game. I called Kane's goal right before it went in, because he faked out the D and cut to the net. Leigton was very weak all series in goal. That was a beer league goal to give up, leaning down to stick save it from that angle.:S

Niemi was epic in the third and OT. He should have been MVP. (or Kane)

Well guys, it's been fun talking hockey these past two months. And I leave with only one last thing to say...

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!!!!!!B|:D:ph34r:

I gotta give the Philly fans a cheer for booing the commish! Did you hear Bettman say that the Blackhawks hadn't won the Cup in '29 years'? He only missed it by 20-yrs. whatta maroon!
anyhow... enjoyed talking hockey with all y'all. What a great play-off season. From start to finish. See y'all back here, next year.

Chuck

What a fun playoff run. This team was exactly the type of team this city loves - hard working, humble and with a youthful irreverence..

So the parade is set for Friday (starting only a few blocks from where I live!)...I wonder if they'll be able to get these guys here in time for the rally..

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/news/story?id=5227496

Having grown up North of Chicago from '64 to '73 (but not old enough to have seen them win in '61), with great memories of having watched Esposito, Hull, Makita and the others, it was really great to see them win it all.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What a fun playoff run. This team was exactly the type of team this city loves - hard working, humble and with a youthful irreverence..

So the parade is set for Friday (starting only a few blocks from where I live!)...I wonder if they'll be able to get these guys here in time for the rally..

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/news/story?id=5227496

Oh, they'll be there! they won't miss a minute of the celebration. Just a few blocks from where you live? You're going to be there, aren't you? congrats to the Blackhawks and all the Chicago fans. Those boys did a darned good job.

Chuck

Having grown up North of Chicago from '64 to '73 (but not old enough to have seen them win in '61), with great memories of having watched Esposito, Hull, Makita and the others, it was really great to see them win it all.

Those guys were definately, memory makers. It was good to see an 'Original Six' team win the Cup. Especially after facing Philly. All the Philly goons couldn't pull it off.

Chuck

Those guys were definately, memory makers. It was good to see an 'Original Six' team win the Cup. Especially after facing Philly. All the Philly goons couldn't pull it off.

Chuck

Very different then, no helmets, 12 teams (until '70) - that really made it feel like a different league. I really didn't like Tony Esposito's brother Phil or the entire Boston team, and thought Bobby Orr was especially irritating also. It probably had something to do with them being so good. Gordie Howe was still playing.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Very different then, no helmets, 12 teams (until '70) - that really made it feel like a different league. I really didn't like Tony Esposito's brother Phil or the entire Boston team, and thought Bobby Orr was especially irritating also. It probably had something to do with them being so good. Gordie Howe was still playing.

JESUS SAVES! Esposito scores on the rebound.

Chuck

Howe was known for his quick elbows. Seldom did he get caught. could put a man on the ice so fast, he didn't know what hit him. Later played with his two boys for the Hartford Whalers and the Houston Aeros. Quit playing when he was 50.
The esposito brothers were like night and day on the ice. Bobby Orr was great to watch. I think, my favorite player to watch is Pavel Datsyuk.

Chuck

I had the pleasure of playing hockey with Gordie Howe when he was the "Hockey America" national spokesman. We went to lunch afterwards. What a wonderful day in my life that was.B| He was about 62 or 3 then and still had mad skilz!!!

I had the pleasure of playing hockey with Gordie Howe when he was the "Hockey America" national spokesman. We went to lunch afterwards. What a wonderful day in my life that was.B| He was about 62 or 3 then and still had mad skilz!!!

Damn, I envy you!!! What a fantastic experience. He wasn't to rough on you... was he?:D Of all the famous people in the world to meet, I have always wanted to meet Gordie Howe.

Chuck

Should be a great series. Both teams have excellent defense and both teams are physical.

I posted that on May 25th...It was a great series!!

Hats off to the Flyers they fought hard to the end.

THANKS BLACKHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Streaker:)

Have a yippee ki ya day!

And he could still have taken your head off with an elbow ;)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

He still skated remarkably well. His shot was a sizzler also. We skated on the same line for the first hour and a half and then there was a break and we switched teams for another hour and a half. I skated down on him and made a slick move he wasn't expecting and wristed one top shelf. I flicked the puck at him and asked "Hey old man, look'n for this?" He just chuckled, and on the very next rush down he put the puck through my legs, turned me around as he picked it back up and put it back through, skated right past me (Think what Mario did to Ray Borque once) and torched the goalie. He just grinned at me.:ph34r: One stupid guy thought he would elbow Gordie and be funny. Howe side stepped the dude at the boards and smashed him right into the glass. We were all howling!:ph34r::P
After the session we went to the diner next door and ate lunch. He told some wonderful stories. It was an incredible experience. No one recognized him, he was in Red Wing warm up pants and a Red Wing jacket. Of course, we were in Burbank, CA!!:P
I'll try to post the photo of us together on the ice.
I have skated with a lot of NHL guys, but that day was the best, by a million miles!!! B|

Very cool! You're a lucky guy.

Gordie was in Saskatoon a few years ago at a Saskatoon Blades game where they honoured him by naming the road in front of the arena after him. During one of the presentations at centre ice while they were taking pictures Gordie faked giving everybody elbows. It was hilarious.

He was in town a couple weeks ago getting an honourary Doctor of Laws Degree from U of S. He still looks really good.
--
Murray

We'll see how Price works out. I think that being second fiddle in the playoffs should be a big motivator for him. He was handed the #1 job too easily and too soon I think.

I think the Sharks should have picked Halak up and said farewell to Nabbie.
--
Murray