JDBoston

Rock climbing

How many climbers we got here? I'm interested in how much crossover there is with skydiving.

I'm going to go take a 1-day intro class up in NH in a couple weeks. I don't like heights very much, so I'm looking forward to browbeating myself a bit. I think I'll just hang off the rock and make myself look straight down for as long as I can stand it.

Even better, if anyone here climbs in NH and knows anything about IMCS (International Mountain Climbing School) in North Conway, feel free to pipe up or PM me.

Joe

There are a number of places to learn from. Starting off, make sure you're a member of REI as every once in a while they will hold clinics which are pretty inexpensive (not to mention that you will need to purchase some gear anyway). Then if you don't know any rock climbing friends who can and are willing to mentor you, you could join the CMC (Colorado Mountain Club) and take the BMS (Basic Mountaineering School) course which includes rock climbing. The Boulder chapter of the CMC is probably the best CMC group in terms of rock climbing outings, but the other chapters occasionally do technical trips as well. And if these sources don't help you were you need help, the CMS (Colorado Mountain School) based out of Estes Park has guided trips throughout the year and can be considered a good way to get exposed to the sport with experienced people helping you out. The only down side to the CMS is that it's not cheap. But if you want to get on the rocks fast without having to deal with the politics of the CMC, the CMS is a good alternative. Finally, I belong to an informal hiking/mountaineering club based here in the Boulder area that has a certain percentage of their population which does a lot of rock climbing and mountaineering and is pretty much free. If you can make it up to Boulder on some days, then PM me and I can tell you more about CHAOS (Colorado Hiking and Outdoor Society).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

i used to climb alot, but mostly just to get to the really good rappels..

skydiving takes care of the freefall fix for me..although i do occasionally miss the ground rush from an inverted trust fall.....wheeeeeeeee!

I'm an addicted climber, but as HT mentioned, Florida does not offer great climbing opportunities. We have a rotten climb wall slapped on the side of tha bunker at the DZ. It is VERY dangerousB|
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I started climbing about a year and a half ago when I lived in Texas, but haven't been out since I moved back to San Diego a year ago.
Another way to get started is to just go to a climbing gym near you. They should have an introduction course, and climbers, like skydivers, are usually friendly, outgoing and willing to climb with just about anyone. So it shouldn't be too hard to meet people at the gym. That's how I got started.

Bill

I used to climb a lot, both rock and ice. I did the matterhorn north face, the heiger north face, mont blanc west face, moterosa south face, and I was supposed to go to Danali in May to do the west ridge but I could not find a climbing buddy. :( As for rock I used to go to yosemite when I lived in SF. There I did both the half dome and el capitan.
Memento Audere Semper

I used to climb some, but to tell you the truth I don't know a whole lot. Most of what I know I learned in the army and transferred that over to civilian climbing. Luckily none of us got killed at it. I also had a friend who fell 150 ft. straight down and survived. He wiped out the side of a tree and then hit some soft dirt out in the middle of a boulder field. He was unconscious for quite a while and still has a pin in his hip, but he still climbs. He'd make a great skydiver, but I haven't been able to talk him into it yet. Steve1

Yes, but only occasionally. My hubby is really into climbing, and I go along with him when I can. We are surrounded by great cliffs and beautiful sites, so we don't have to go far. He tends to go during the week, though, when I'm at work.:( I'd like to do more, and really learn how to climb instead of winging it. I have no technique at all. And I'm really slow.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

ima central tx climber, i love it! i do alot of mexitrips too. where in tx did u climb?

You do realize that this thread was from 8 years ago... right?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It fights for time with my other hobbies.

Check local community colleges. I know one of the ones here in North Alabama has a class sometimes at the indoor wall I go to. Plenty of places to climb here at the end of the Appalachian chain.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Same here .. I'm a holiday climber, in the main. (no rock in East Anglia!!) .. so I get to the crags on holiday having to re-learn ... push my grades and then go back down at the start of the next break).... Still love it though.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome