Groundbound

Student packing

I do not see any difference in the regs over who can pack a *student* main canopy.

If no difference, then I will (legally) be able to pack my own, as a student?(!) [part a) says the person making the next jump can pack it]

I realize to actually do so may be stupid (especially if I've never done it before).

So I was wondering what usually happens, who packs dz-owned student chutes?

Thanks

The FAR reads something to the effect that the main parachute can only be packed by the person who is going to jump it, a rigger, or someone under the supervision of a rigger which is usually the packer.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

who packs dz-owned student chutes?

Depending on what DZ your jumping at, it may be packed by someone that has never even made a skydive before!
Or it can be packed by you, a rigger or someone being supervised by a rigger.
You don't have to know how to skydive just to pack a parachute, and for that matter, you can be a rigger without ever making a skydive.
It's fairly simple, and many kids that grow up on the DZ's pack hundreds of parachutes even before they ever get to make a skydive! ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Not sure what the MOPs actually are here except that until we get a packing licence we pack under supervision, but I was told that when I start "of course you won't be packing student parachutes"...
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Maybe just a rule on our DZ then. They seem to have more than other places :)I am a bit confused though cos if i can't pack student chutes and all the experienced jumpers pack their own, not sure what i'll be packing :S
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

To just clarify what Trav is saying. An experienced skydiver in Australia can only pack for themselves or another experienced skydiver. So if you are a student you can pack for yourself. But if you wish to pack for another student you must have either Packer A, Packer B or Rigger qualifications. This is my understanding but I would recommend reading all the rules a few times.

Oh and to add, to pack your own as a student you must have one of the above qualifications supervise you. Once you have been signed off for packing (requirement of A license) you can pack without supervision.