regulator

This has GOT to be the coolest thing that EVER came out of Iran

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/28/iran-unveils-squadrons-of-flying-boats/?hpt=T2

Iran unveiled three squadrons of new flying boats on Tuesday, Iranian news agencies reported.

The craft, dubbed the Bavar 2, is armed with a machine gun and carries surveillance cameras, according to a report from the Iranian Student News Agency.

"Islamic Republic of Iran is one of the few countries which managed to design, build and use flying boats in a short time," said Defense Minister Brig. Gen. Ahmad Vahidi, who oversaw the delivering of the aircraft at the Bandar Abbas naval facility on the Persian Gulf near the Strait of Hormuz.

The delivery comes as Iran celebrates its Week of Sacred Defense, which commemorates its eight-year-long resistance to the 1980 Iraqi invasion, according to the Fars News Agency.

The flying boats look like one Iran used during Persian Gulf war games in April 2006. Media reports from the time include a video of a flying boat taking off.

After those 2006 reports, bloggers poked fun at Iran’s so-called stealth technology, saying the flying boat looked like something anyone could buy in kit form from mechanical magazine ads.

[url]
After those 2006 reports, bloggers poked fun at Iran’s so-called stealth technology, saying the flying boat looked like something anyone could buy in kit form from mechanical magazine ads.

Yeah but I think they screwed up.
The radiator is fracking huge!
I mean look at the size of that thing!
Also....red and blue?
Really! RED AND BLUE!
If you really want to scare people shouldn't these things at least be all black? Or maybe have some skulls on the side?

OK....imortant question? Who's going to jump one? :)
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Caption of first photo in artical;

Iran's Defense Ministry released photos of what it says are its new radar-evading flying boats, the Bavar 2.

Radar-evading?

Their best defense mechanism seems to be the ability to make enemy pilots unable to lock on to them because they're laughing so hard.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Is it a flying boat or a seaplane.

It is a ground-effect craft.
Same general category as a hovercraft, but uses a wing instead of a a fan/skirt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_%28aircraft%29
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Same general category as a hovercraft, but uses a wing instead of a a fan/skirt.

It is absolutely flying above ground effect in at least one of the photos in the article. I have no doubt whatsoever it can fly. How effectively is the question. Generally speaking seaplane and fighting aircraft aren't words you see close to one another.
quade -

Question is....what good would it do them against any of the number of armies waiting around to kick their ass?

Look you don't get it do you?
It's a Persian thing!
It's not about go it's all about show!
I mean really! Come on! I'm willing to bet good money that these things have designer props and leather seats!
Sure they may not be fast but it's noy about being fast brother it's all about show off how sexy you look!
"Ladies, like my flying boat! Oh yes you know you do! It's like my carpet but this one has a DVD player and if this boat is a rocking don't come a knocking!"
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

It is absolutely flying above ground effect in at least one of the photos in the article. I have no doubt whatsoever it can fly. How effectively is the question. Generally speaking seaplane and fighting aircraft aren't words you see close to one another.

You trust they weren't photoshopped?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Question is....what good would it do them against any of the number of armies waiting around to kick their ass?

It's a Persian thing!
I mean really! Come on! I'm willing to bet good money that these things have designer props and leather seats!
Sure they may not be fast but it's noy about being fast brother it's all about show off how sexy you look!
"Ladies, like my flying boat! Oh yes you know you do! It's like my carpet but this one has a DVD player and if this boat is a rocking don't come a knocking!"

It would be cheaper to just by a Ferrari.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's a Persian thing!

:D:D
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

It's a Persian thing!

It would be cheaper to just by a Ferrari.

Persians can afford to be cheap.

You trust they weren't photoshopped?

I have no doubt they have one, I would question the amount shown in their "fleet", but the reality is it's irrelevant.

I have no doubt the thing flies. Building an ultralight seaplane is trivial.

I have HUGE doubts it has airborne surveillance camera worth anything. I laugh uncontrollably at the concept of it being used in any capacity other than as some sort of coastline patrol or FAC. For those missions it may in fact be appropriate, but the idea it is "radar-evading" suggests it's going to be used as some sort of ground attack or aerial fighting platform and that's simply laughable.
quade -