SpeedRacer

My Appalachian trail thru-hike starts March 26 (maybe)

I posted about this back in November, but I made a new thread because I've changed my trail journal website. My new trail journal will now be:

http://postholer.com/tbrann (I've already posted about the shakedown hike I did in the Shenandoahs in October)

I will be leaving my home in Maryland on March 24 & arrive by train in Atlanta on the 25th. I will start the Approach Trail at Amicalola Falls on Friday March 26th, weather permitting.

I should arrive at Mt Katahdin in Maine sometime in September.

My last day of work is Friday March 19th! :D
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

So cool!!

Im getting a bit obsessed with the whole backpacking thingB| Im doing a few shorter trips and then hopefully a big chunk of the JMT in Ca. Soon as the snow melts around here Im gonna put some of this new gear to test:P

Gonna check out the link you posted, see what ya got goin onB|

Have fun!!

Gear lists and food, whatcha carrying and what ya' gonna eat? We have a dehydrator at the house, I've never used one...

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I'm jealous too - have a great timeB|

After reading your journal so far.. I'm looking forward to your thru' trail one. Can you put photos in there too?

When I did my last long hike.. I too was self supporting and had to carry all of my own (and my dogs!!!!) food - it's hard work (but worth it).

Could you put in a break down of your gear?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Very cool. After reading Bill Bryson's hilarious book "A Walk in the Woods," I can really see the appeal and the challenge of this undertaking.

Some advice I heard recently from a sailor who did a solo Atlantic crossing was "don't fight the elements, go with them." I imagine the same applies here.

Good luck! Doug

I hiked at Amicalola last weekend. There were a LOT of thru hikers starting their journey. Good luck, have fun, stay safe.
If you need anything while passing through ATL let me know if I can help.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

Congrats on the finish!!!!

I've really been enjoying following along this year.

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=3179d51e589db8f6ac4e03b289a3ef40&entry_id=18860
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

After reading Bill Bryson's hilarious book "A Walk in the Woods," I can really see the appeal and the challenge of this undertaking.

Wasn't that a lovely book? One of my favorites of all time. Describes the beauty of the Apps as well as the craziness of mankind;)
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8