selbbub78

wearing weights

Hi,

I'm in the process of getting some weights, but before I do I would like to know what people prefer, weight belt or vest, and why? I probably will have 14-16 pounds in it, and am just looking for opinions. Thanks!

CReW SKies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I bought a vest years ago and used to use it on almost every jump unless I was doing a solo. If I was buying another, I'd go with a belt, which I've only worn in the tunnel. A lot of people say belts are more comfortable, but I was always perfectly happy with my vest. The main reason I'd switch is just convenience. You can throw a belt on right before a load after you're all geared up. Gotta take everything off to put a vest on. Might make a big difference if plans suddenly change before boarding.

Dave

There is a school of though that for girls, having the weight higher (ie in a vest) is better as it brings their center of gravity closer to the center of the arch (helps with possible torso high issues). That being said, Karen went from a vest to a belt and loves it.
Remster

Aren't you mostly a CRW pup chickie. Are you using this for RW or CRW. For RW I would say a belt without a doubt. For CRW a vest may be more comfortable.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Of the two choices, I prefer a vest over a belt for CRW. I've worn up to 24 lbs that way. The best option is a weight pouch built into the container backpad. The weight is off the jumper after deployment and is shed with the rig in the event of a water landing.

Bob

I've worn both a belt and vest and prefer the belt. I wear 18 1/2 lbs. in the tunnel and when jumping with big guys, but usually I can take out a lot of the weight. I prefer the belt because I can wear it outside my jumpsuit and take it off if I need to (example: landing in water). It's low enough that it doesn't interfere with my handles.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

Actually I MUCH prefer a belt for both CRW and freefall. Its so much more comfortable sitting on my hips - its hard to notice its even there. I wore a vest a few months ago and realized I'd forgotten how uncomfortable they are!

Cool, good to know. I just assumed that the belt hanging off of you under canopy would have been less comfortable. Not that I have a clue, I am a big boy, so wearing lead is not really something I have to worry about.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Aren't you mostly a CRW pup chickie. Are you using this for RW or CRW. For RW I would say a belt without a doubt. For CRW a vest may be more comfortable.

-OK

Yes I do a lot of CReW, and I've worn a belt before for that, and thought it was comfortable. I do also plan on using whatever I decide to get for freefall if I need it, and was just looking into if anyone seems to prefer the vest over belt. Thanks for your opinions!

CReW SKies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM