dragon2

BASE 1 - cops 0

This is lighting up basejumper.com and it's classic BASE. The only part I'm gonna knock Jester for (and I've known him a long time) is jumping without his frigging chest strap hooked up . . .

NickD :)

I give the cop props for not trying to grab him off the ledge...B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>>Why is it cool now?
Yeah, I had to come to grips with that too. But it's just different today. With the advent of the Internet, and especially YouTube, we simply couldn't keep BASE on the down low. Nor do we need to anymore.

I guess this involves the "why of" we kept BASE quiet in the early days. Initially it should be understood that when BASE as a sport first started in 1978 it wasn't keep quiet at all. Everyone just expected B.A.S.E. jumping would be cheerfully accepted as just another cool thing we humans could do. But it didn't work out that way.

First off there weren't that many of us. When I was publishing (just for B.A.S.E. jumpers) The Fixed Object Journal I had almost every B.A.S.E. jumper in the world as a subscriber and that number was about one hundred. So we certainly couldn't overwhelm and just shove BASE down everyone's throat. The USPA and the British Parachute Association (BPA) frowned on BASE with the BPA actually throwing otherwise members in good standing out of the organization for B.A.S.E. jumping. And that was a big deal in Britain because if you weren't a member of the BPA you weren't allowed to skydive.

But mainly (here in the U.S.) it was that animosity between skydivers and B.A.S.E. jumpers was rampant in those days. If you were a skydiving professional you had to keep the fact you B.A.S.E. jumped quiet as it could cost you a job. I lost an Instructor job and got kicked off a DZ after the DZO saw me packing a BASE rig for a jump later that night. And it was the only skydiving job I was ever fired from in my entire career.

I'm not sure if skydivers saw BASE as a threat to their top of the danger heap status, but I do know they said we were hurting the sport of parachuting for the bad headlines we were generating. And yes, there were a lot of spectacular BASE mishaps in those days. Carl Boenish said it best after his involvement in BASE. "Well, I lost a lot of friends, but hey, I made a bunch of new ones."

And third, and as far as preserving jump sites went, we realized the less we publicized our jumps the more we could jump. Simply put if you had a primo tall building being built downtown a lot of people could get multiple jumps off it during its construction as long as no one got busted or publicized it. And that was the first crack in the BASE code and the impetus for the tar & featherings.

BASE had already been going strong for ten years or so but it was now the MTV era and the very beginnings of the eXtream generation that began in the late 1980s. And a few turds correctly figured BASE was the vehicle that they could use to gain themselves fame & fortune. And these were the early site burners that we tried (and failed) to contain.

But the differences in the BASE scene of the 70s, 80, and 90s and today is like night and day. B.A.S.E. jumping is now pretty much accepted throughout the world. It's absolutely exploded on the cliff faces of Europe, there's sanctioned building jumps all over Asia, and most young skydivers today will say BASE is something they'd like to do someday. (It used to be, "Oh, those guys are assholes.) And ironically the only place on the planet BASE is still having access issues is here in the United States.

So not by any grand plan or anything but certainly in the eyes of the guys who've been around BASE long enough, we finally realized the BASE cat was out of the stash bag, so there's no use trying to be underground about it anymore. And more importantly, now that there are enough of us, (and I love this as it too is classic BASE) we "can" shove BASE down the world's throat.

BASE is just too firmly entrenched now. No one can ever regulate it, control it, or stop it. And as long as there is one curious boy left in the world who owns a parachute BASE will go on forever . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

That vidoe was painful to watch. How can anyone be that stupid???????
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

So basically they arrested him for pot, not obeying the police officer, and trespassing.

Question 1: Trespassing on what? The Bridge? Was it because he wasn't in his car?

Question 2: Did he have a prescription for the marijuana? There really is no excuse for getting busted in Ca for possession of marijuana any more.

Question 3: If he had done what the policeman asked, would he still have been charged? Anyone who has dealt with the police in Ca knows the answer to that. The question was rhetorical. I would have jumped too. Everyone wonders why the police have such a bad name.B|

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Question 3: If he had done what the policeman asked, would he still have been charged? Anyone who has dealt with the police in Ca knows the answer to that. The question was rhetorical. I would have jumped too. Everyone wonders why the police have such a bad name.

Learn how to follow the rules then there won't be problems.

Or we could just get rid of law enforcement so none of us won't be protected by them and we could just let gangbangers and mexicans take over the country.

and they arrested him for endangering people around him, as you can see he held up traffic on the bridge by walking in the lane and sticking his arm out
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

That vidoe was painful to watch. How can anyone be that stupid???????

It is actually a pretty funny video (because he didn't get hurt). Outside of the jumper appearing to be intoxicated (or is he always like that?), I think it is safe to assume that you don't understand (yet) why BASE jumpers do what they do.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

How can anyone be that stupid???????

:D:D:D

I'll take Irony for 200 Bob.

haha got something you want to own up to? because it seems mr airtwardo has never done anything stupid in his life! haha :)

Learn how to follow the rules then there won't be problems.

Ahahahahaha. That's probably the funniest and dumbest thing you could ever say to a BASE jumper.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

BASE is just too firmly entrenched now. No one can ever regulate it, control it, or stop it. And as long as there is one curious boy left in the world who owns a parachute BASE will go on forever . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

That's a quote for the books Nick.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero