jumpwally

NEXT Rig

I'd ask that in the German forum, they should have a lot of jumpers with those.

Or, if you for some reason don't do that, you can also be more specific here...;) I know a few people with Next rigs, but you probably wanted to hear more than that, right?

I've made about 20 jumps with our DZ's new NEXT rig (with an Pilot190 main)because I do not have my own rig yet. And allthough I do not have many rigs to compare to, I think of it as a nice and comfortable rig.

It's not much but it's my 2Eurocents.

It maybe become my first rig.

Greetz Q
You don't need a parachute to jump but YOU DO if want to do it again.

I'm the owner of a Next since 1 Year now and I'm really impressed by quality and construction.
The main flap for example - *IMHO* - seems to be the best solution on the market.
Costumer service is also great.
Well priced, rock solid rig.
Many jumpers from Germany are jumping a Next.
Next holds TSO c23d and also JTSO c23d.
By the way: the Next now comes in a new version too: The Next Century.
The "old" design is still in production too, so you can compare the differences with the differences between Mirage G3 and Mirage G4.
It's a matter of taste if you need things like cut-in-laterals (Next Century) or not.

Don't be a Lutz!

I have owned a Next for a several hundreds jumps now over like two-three seasons. The reason I chose it was that it appeared to be best suited for freeflying. Main flap is indeed bombproof. Also the riser cover design is such that they just cant come open unless you want them to.

Also it is a wider but flatter than say Mirage (rig I also considered), therefore again more aerodynamic for vertical flying IMO. The yoke design allows you to have your chest strap realtively loose and not worry about falling out of harness.

I was so fed up with Javelin ,that I was looking for something that stays closed at any speed and position. Have not regreted it since.

One negative comment: the legstraps or rather the webbing on them frays from friction (on more than one rig that I saw). Does not appear to have practical consequences, only esthetical.

I own a TSE Zerox, which is almost identical to the NEXT. The NEXT container is made in the UK in thw Thomas Sports Equipment factory, and then sent to Germany to have the harness and a few other bits and pieces added. Apart from that, the only differences are the main closing flap and (I think) the design of the reserve PC, though I could be wrong on that one.

Mine wasn't measured for me, and even with huge canopies (218M/218R), the design of the yoke means I don't notice the weight at all. I jumped a student rig last weekend and I couldn't believe how uncomfortable it was compared to mine, even though it was about the same size.

Mine doesn't have hip rings, which I would like on my next rig, but it does have the Alcantara backpad and leg pads. It's supposed to keep you cool on hot days (not sure how something that feels like suede does this) and warm on cold days, but I do know it's incredibly comfortable, and I have no problem with lines or anything pressing into my back, even with my crappy packing!

I'd thoroughly recommend that if you decide to buy a NEXT, you go for either this option, or the Aero-Spacer foam over the regular back/leg pads.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

One negative comment: the legstraps or rather the webbing on them frays from friction (on more than one rig that I saw). Does not appear to have practical consequences, only esthetical.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Take this seriously, because in the long run, it will wear out your leg straps prematurely. Tell the manufacturer, but it may be simpler to ask your local Master Rigger to sew an extra layer of Type 12 webbing onto your leg straps, ala the recent Service Bulletin about Icon leg straps. I did this to leg straps on several rigs - from other manufacturers - before Aerodyne issued their Service Bulletin.

that´s right, do something about the leg straps before it starts gettin heavy. Please note that Paratec and Performance Variable ( both are german manufacturers ) limit their gear to a maximum life of 15 years from date of manufacture. No matter what condition they are in, you have to bin them !

Thanks guys.

Paratec's rigs may be limited to 15 years, but "at least" their reserves I think have a limit of 20 :). Not that I would like to use them for that long (cheap marketing IMO).

I prob change rigs every 3-4 years, but for the second hand market it is surely relevant. Not sure what is causing the frying - hardware or poor quality thread.

First, I am a jumper from the U.S. who is currently living in Germany. The DZ I jump at is the home DZ for Paratec who is located just a few miles away. I own a Mirage, but almost everyone at this DZ jumps the NeXT rig from Paratec. I have jumped a few different containers and have owned a Javelin, Wings, and Mirage. I like the Paratec NeXT, it is a very nice rig that I would rate on par with any of the U.S. manufacturers (Sunpath, Sunrise Rigging, Mirage, etc) The basic design of the rig is very similar to the Vector 3 or the Mirage with some some minor differences. Never in the states have I seen an entire DZ with the same rig, but all of them different in some manner of fashion (colors, fabrics, etc.) If they were TSO'd in the states when I was looking for my last rig, and if the Dollar - Euro exchange rate wasn't so bad I would buy one. From what I have seen their customer service is also very good. Their main canopys also fly pretty well, for what it's worth. But with anything it all comes down to your personal preferences and where you want to spend your money.

Blue Skies,
Adam
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

When I was shopping for gear 18 month back, I originally wanted a Jav Odyssey, because of the cutin laterals, Paratec didn't have the Century options back then. But then my Odyssey order wasn't placed properly (Issue caused by the sponsored guy who wanted to order for me.), and since by then I was in Canada I went for a Wings. Had I been in Germany, I'd have gotten a NeXt. Now with the Century options available, I'd get one if I was in Europe.
(Not that I'm in any way unhappy with my Wings, though... I'd have to do some NeXt Test jumping to do...);)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

just wait sure Ru will see this thread and let ya know what he thinks of it!!

Speak of the Devil...

I love my neXt. It's comfortable, safe and sleek. Just like all containers made by TSE. ;)

I had mine custom-made (closing left-right so I can cover my pull-out pin) and it was delivered exactly to specification. Both the reserve and main flaps are bombproof...

I currently jump both a Teardrop and a neXt, and my next rig will probably be the new Zerox (just as soon as a name gets decided on!)

Why anyone in the UK/Europe jumps anything other than TSE/Paratec kit, I really don't know. It's high quality, swift to be made/repaired, and half the price of American kit (even with the current exchange rate!) B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

No, they don´t. Like I said before, all Paratec (and Performance Variable) gear, harnesses or canopies come with a maximum life of 15 years from date of manufacture, no matter what condition they are in. The second hand business, for me that´s an important factor to consider. There was a discussion 2 years ago when the regs in Germany were changed, but both german manufactures decided to keep their old restrictions. Maybe worth noting that a TSE harness, which is produced at the same factory in England as the Next, with the same machines, same thread and the same supervision does not have this limit at all. It´s just the german´s.
Have a guess why ?

Ludvig,

It's strange. According to Hungarian regulations eg. Paratec's reserve - Speed 2000 (Hungarian license No. 275/1/2001) can be used for 15+5 years, which means after 15 years there is a mandatory inspection and the canopy's useful life is extended by further 5 years. This is based (as with other rigs) on manufacturer's specifications.

Are you saying that following 2001 there was a change in manufacturer's specs?

No.
Before and after 2001 Paratec canopies and harnesses had a maximum life of 15 years from date of manufacture on it . I ran in a big argument with Stefan Ertler, the owner of Paratec, when I started questioning that limit which he was a proponent of. Only in November 2002, after 2 years of hard work we finally succeeded (against Stefan) in abolishing this 15 year rule that prevailed in Germany since the 1960´s.
( It would have been nice to know your information whilst we were fighting this 15 year rule but it was succeded anyway )
So far I have not heard or seen a statement of Paratec allowing longer use than 15 years, that would be new to me.
I take it the 275/1/2001 stands for license 275 from January 2001, and even that is way before the change in Germany .
german senior rigger, instructor

... your mind is like a parachute :

..... it works much better, when it's open ...

Hallo Marcin,

that was quoted as "Manufacturer Statement" in the "Repack- und Inspectionscycle Stand 12.12.2003 - Ausgabe 02" by the Verband unabhängiger Prüfer von Luftsportgerät e.V., = "Independent riggers of Germany". A straight 15 years max. after d.o.m., no matter what condition and no exceptions. On harnesses, main or reserve canopies.

cu, Ludwig

... your mind is like a parachute :

..... it works much better, when it's open ...

Hi everyone, it's Stefan at Paratec.
To put a end to all your speculations and discussions about the service life, here are the facts :
The service life of a Next or a Speed 2000 Reserve is exactly 12 months.
Then you get a inspection and a repack and get another 12 months and so on and so on.
When your rigger does not want to service it anymore, call it dead. No matter if the rig was in service for 1 or for 100 years. And you better accept his decision. Eventually you as the user is responsible for keeping it in a airworthy state. ( At least under European law )
Where can you find this information ? In the owner's manual on our web site. Download the latest issue.
Why is there such a discussion ? Because in Germany the law dealing with regulating parachute equipment has changed so many times lately . Finally, it is now the manufacturer who determines how, when and through who his equipment is to be serviced. Full Stop. Even though national rules may still apply in various countries, which will supersede what is written in our manual, like in the US)
PS : Thank you for the great comments and the compliments on our kit.

Stefan
:$
Gardner : She looks fast !
Truman Sparks : Yeah, it's the stripes.