SarahC07

Okay, Finance/Math People...

Please work this problem and share your answer.

Exactly a year from now Company X will have $1 per share in free cash flow from equity. Free cash flow from equity is expected to grow at 10% per year for two years (years 1 - 3) and 2% per year every year thereafter, infinitely. The applicable discount rate is 8%.

What is the intrinsic value of the stock today?

--

Please treat FCFE as stock dividends for the purpose of solving this problem.

HINT: You'll need to understand/use a dividend growth model for a growing perpetuity in order to solve this problem.

Please and Thanks. :)

Believe it or not, this is not a homework question. :P

It was on my finance exam yesterday. I found an answer that is greater than 19, but less than 22. :P As with most graduate level exams, this was a FOUR question exam, so the answer to this question significantly impacts my grade. And damn it, I want an A!

My classmates and I have solved this problem with little to no consistency... I think I've heard of 6 different proposed solutions... yikes. :D

$4.55 for two years plus the unforseen values for years afterwards.

This is assuming a Risk Free Interest Rate (%) of 2.20%

The time after two years is actually a feel good or faith value as it has no term and is actually intangible.

I slept in a holiday in once.

YMMV if you have psychic powers or a time machine.

A safe bet would be based on the 10% projected for a longer term, anything over that is a plus.

Based on your choices I would surmise that they intended the investment to yield for about five years.

It also depends on your methodology as well, because there is some perception not based on actual data.

Warren Buffets calculator would be a good asset.

Was this open book, open notes and google allowed?

So they still selling crystal balls?:P

My answer was $20.11 w/o rounding.

After delving into this problem with a classmate of mine, it appears as though the beginning time (t) for my growing perpetuity was incorrect. He thinks the correct answer is $19.16 and I tend to agree.

The good news: I showed all of my steps and will hopefully receive the majority of the points associated with this problem. I'm also pretty confident that I answered the remaining three questions 100% correctly.

Also to add, I solved all parts to every other question both algebraically and with a financial calculator. If I'm lucky, my professor will see that I truly understand what I was taught and be nice.... maybe :P

I got $0.

I bought shares at $1 and caused the company to go bankrupt....just like all my other stocks.
:D:D

Sounds like some of the stock I bought in the 90's that used to be worth real money

I STILL feel it would be appropriate to de-nut a few execs who should have been removed from the gene pool permanently>:(