elias123

Asperger/Autism

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any skydivers on here that have autism, or more specifically aspergers syndrome. I’m mainly interested in how they cope with social interaction at the dropzone since I have problems with that myself (I was diagnosed with AS or high functioning autism not so long ago, altough I already felt that something was up with me many years before that). I can’t even remember how many times I wanted to go to the dropzone, but didn’t because of the “fear” of social interaction. So I’m interested in how other havers of AS/autism, that jump, if there are any, deal with this. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Blues
Eli :)
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

You might want to PM "Gainer" on here, Dian has over 1000 skydives and is a firm part of the JSC furniture. As i understand it he has Aspergers but i don't think he cruises the forums that much.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I do not have Asperger, however, I do have Social Phobia. I have a great deal of problems stepping into social settings. I always feel like someone is going to tap me on the shoulder and ask me to leave (because I don't belong).

I often find myself sitting in my car at the DZ and unable to get out and walk down to the jump area. I have learned that if I have arranged to met someone or have an appointment with someone then it is easier to get myself to go. (I think it is because I now have a reason to be there should someone ask why I am there).

It is difficult for people to understand the problem. I am very outgoing and enjoy people after I get to know them. It is getting to know them that is the problem. I often jump solo. Not because I enjoy being alone, but because I am unable to bring myself to ask others if I can jump with them. If they ask me, I always jump at the chance to join them.

I wish you well with this problem. Know that there are others out there with the same difficulties. We are able to continue because we are determined to enjoy our lives to the best of our abilities. Never give up!

I have the same thing. I find that if I have an appointment with someone at the dropzone that it's easyer to go, because when I make an appointment I never not show or am barely late. If I have an appointment I really have an obligation to go, so I will definately go. Unfortunately the one guy I met with at the dropzone stopped jumping a few months ago.[:/]

I'm normally also a pretty outgoing person, but only with people I know very well (and vice versa) and there arn't many like that. As with you, the problem with me is also actually getting to know the people. After I met someone and really got to know them (and they me) everything becomes much easyer. Also, talking with one person at the dropzone usually goes fine, but when there are more than 3 people in the group, you won't hear a peep out of me. :|

I also jump solo most of the time, for the same reason. I have maybe 4 or 5 2-ways, that's it.

Thank you for your reply and well wishes. I wish you the best of luck as well. :)
Eli

I was diagnosed a while ago with AS, although I can't really say it impedes on my lifestyle very often. I'm slowly learning to just put myself out there, even if it ends in embarassment, because that's perfectly normal. As for life on the DZ, I just tried to hang around with a packer, ask random questions, or hang around with an instructor and ask other random questions. At some point, you find someone who has the same problem you're wondering about, and you start talking about it, one thing leads to another, and you're jump buddies.

Since I haven't been back due to lack of funding, I can't say how I'd really handle it as a non-student now, but I'd say just pick a random person, comment on their gear, and even if you look like an idiot, at least you engaged them, and maybe they'll give you a couple pointers, and you can get your foot in the door for a few more jump buddies.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

I understand what you mean by being embarrassed. I have been there many times. I think that the hardest part is getting over the anxiety of taking the step to get to the DZ. Once there and moving I am OK but getting there is more than half the problem. I have driven for hours to get to the DZ and had such anxiety that I sat in the parking lot for an hour and then drove home. I never even got out of the car. The anxiety can be paralyzing.

If I know that I have an appointment then I feel that I have to go and I will push through the anxiety and move on. It is funny how easy getting through it can be. All it takes is knowing that you are expected and supposed to be there.

You might want to let someone at the DZ know and possibly distribute some simple pamphlets on aspergers/autism. That way, instead of people wondering what’s wrong with you or why you don’t like them, they will enjoy your company at a slight distance. If not pressured into eye contact and close-quarter communication, you might find being at the DZ more enjoyable. Also, this might sound crazy, but if eye contact is a problem, a full-face helmet or shaded goggles may help you to jump with others. In my job, I work with a lot of individuals with various forms of autism and there are specific skills I have developed to encourage communication. If the autism is or might be severe at times, you might want to discuss this with medical professionals who might advise you on possible safety concerns. I have some friends with aspergers and we get along very well.

I am autistic too, but you already knew that.;)

The anxiety is very difficult to deal with, mostly I just go to the DZ with lead in my shoes. I've found it to be more difficult and scarier to socially interact than jumping from airplanes, I am glad I've told it from the start about my autism, it was in a conversation over the telephone. The instructor even made me to go to a foreign 10 day boogie like event to get me started skydiving.

I knew nobody, traveling with total strangers. Not something that I would normally do, and I am glad I did it and informed some people about my handicap, just to manage the risks somewhat. Luckily autism doesn't get in the way up in the air, but on the ground it's a whole different story. Still, I am doing better than I expected, not that it's easy.

That being said, I think skydiving is a great tool to get out of a social isolation. And 'till now, people sounded very positive when I told them about my autism, still the fear remains. As if the fear up in the air wasn't enough. :P

I am willing to go through a lot of anxiety, just to skydive. That must be one hell of a drive to jump.B|

Blue skies,

Mark

Aspie & dz regular here. I find the dropzone to be the idea place for AS; the people are cool and you can interact as much or as little as you feel on any given day. Everyone else is thinking about their own jumps so it's easy to fade into the background on days you don't feel outgoing, or to join in the conversations on days you feel chatty.

Your milage may vary because AS is a different experience for everyone depending on the coping methods they've learned, but I find the informal nature of the dz to be like having training wheels when it comes to practicing social situations.

Edited to add:
> I've heard that certain SSRI meds like Zoloft and Paxil help with the anxiety that goes w/AS.

They help a lot.

---
Doug the dz bum

That's not a bad idea. I don't think I know enough about the subject yet to make pamphlets myself, but I will definately look into this.

As for the eyecontact, I do have a fullface helmet and shaded goggles, but that is not really the issue. It's rather the interaction on the ground that is the problem.

Thank you for your input :)

Eli

Hi Mark :)

I experience the same thing. I peronally also feel more stressed out about social interaction than jumping itself. I've never told anyone at the dropzones I jump at about my condition, but it might not be a bad idea if I do this next time I go. I admire the fact that you went to a boogie for 10 days, without knowing anyone, in a somewhat strange country, to jump. I don't think I would have stayed as long as you have. There are just so many people at those boogies that it scares me :o.

Thanks for you reply and I'll talk to you again soon probably ;)

Eli

Hi there Bum :P

So how do/did the other jumpers at your dropzone react to this somewhat distant behaviour? Did/do they know about your situation with asperger? As for coping methods, I don't really have any yet, but I'll find my way to them as time goes on. At least I hope so. It's good to hear from an 'aspie' themself that these meds actually do help/work. I will definately ask my doctor about this. (By the way what does SSRI mean?)

Hi there Bum :P

So how do/did the other jumpers at your dropzone react to this somewhat distant behaviour? Did/do they know about your situation with asperger? As for coping methods, I don't really have any yet, but I'll find my way to them as time goes on. At least I hope so. It's good to hear from an 'aspie' themself that these meds actually do help/work. I will definately ask my doctor about this. (By the way what does SSRI mean?)

Some are cool with my eccentric-ness, some prefer to hang out with people more like themselves. I think everyone in the world faces the same thing, really. Anyway, I haven't been kicked off the dz yet and have met some interesting people just by hanging around.

When I started jumping I didn't introduce myself as someone with Aspergers because I didn't know, having only recently learned that my personality type has a name. I think it's more relevent to mention when you're newly meeting someone so they don't misinterpret your shyness as disinterest. After they've know you for a while they know you as you, not as some label, and it becomes a "yeah, so?" situation.

I take SSRI (a group of anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds that help keep your brain's neurons firing properly) for Season Affective "winter darkness sucks" Disorder so got the anti-anxiety side effect for free to help with the social anxiety that comes with AS. But while the pill will help, I believe the goal is to become comfortable in social situations by easing into them, always learning, and eventually gaining self-confidence. Sometimes you have to push yourself to do things you're afraid of, sometimes you have to back off because you're trying to do too much. The trick is learning which is which, usually through trial and error. :S But it does get easier if you get out there and don't stay home and isolate yourself.

Interesting. I'll definately talk about it then because, like you said, the last thing I want is jumpers to misinterpret my shyness and introvetedness as disinterest. Thanks for your reply.

And thanks alot your for your input so far people! :)

Eli

"I take SSRI (a group of anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds that help keep your brain's neurons firing properly) for Season Affective "winter darkness sucks" Disorder so got the anti-anxiety side effect for free to help with the social anxiety that comes with AS."

Wich meds in specific do you take then? Wich one works the best for you? And Paxil and zoloft, what's the better one of those two? Thanks again :)

eli

Well, I also posted this thread in order to inform other jumpers and so that people who did not know about it could find some information. It seems the thread is having it's desired effect. That's cool :)I think I'll post some links later.

Blues
Eli ;)

I understand what you mean by being embarrassed. I have been there many times. I think that the hardest part is getting over the anxiety of taking the step to get to the DZ. Once there and moving I am OK but getting there is more than half the problem. I have driven for hours to get to the DZ and had such anxiety that I sat in the parking lot for an hour and then drove home. I never even got out of the car. The anxiety can be paralyzing.

If I know that I have an appointment then I feel that I have to go and I will push through the anxiety and move on. It is funny how easy getting through it can be. All it takes is knowing that you are expected and supposed to be there.

Going to the dropzone is definately one of the hardest tings to do(for me), but once I'm there, I don't think I would drive back. I drove to the DZ so actually jumping is so close at that point. If I'm standing in front of the DZ then I would definately still have problems on the ground with social interaction, but I would want to jump so bad that I would surely go in at that moment. (And I mean go in to the DZ, not die :P)

And yes, when there is an appointment made, it is much easyer to go because there is an obligation that I cannot break. Like you said, all it takes is knowing that you are expected and supposed to be there.

Blues

To anyone who is interested or who would like to know more, here are some links that contain good information.

On Asperger:

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/asperger.html
http://www.wrongplanet.net/

On Autism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer
http://www.autismspeaks.org/
http://www.autism.com/

Sorry, I forgot how to make clicky's :$
I'm sure there are lots of other sites that contain lots of information but I cant post them all of course :)

Blues