jrmrangers

Stoked and Bummed all at once

I finally got to take my first jump course today at the Ranch, but by the time I was done with class the winds were whipping. I spoke with the instructors and the winds were just over the limit so I didn't get to do any jumps. [:/]

Skydiving will help teach you patience...
Glad you got the FJC finished!!
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

I finally got to take my first jump course today at the Ranch, but by the time I was done with class the winds were whipping. I spoke with the instructors and the winds were just over the limit so I didn't get to do any jumps. [:/]

Today at z-hills we ALL got put on wind holds. After the first hold, most of us sat back and shot the shit, they put a load up, and we watched the landings and laughed.

Sure, I probably could've put my canopy down in it and walked away from it, but sometimes the hardest part of what we do is knowing when to sit down and say NO.

The sky isn't going anywhere, its much nicer to watch the weather at the DZ than from the hospital window!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

S'okay. I'm helping out with research involving jumpers, and I haven't even been able to WATCH a skydive in weeks. Plus I'm at the tunnel every week or two, and can't fly there either! AND the beermoney fund is running low.

How's your life look now? :P

It can always be worse, but how many people can say they've got it better than a jumper at the DZ?

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I've found it's part of being a student. I did my FJC on Feb. 19th but wasn't able to jump first because of clouds and then because of winds. Didn't get to jump the next weekend. Managed to knock out Lvls 1-3 on Sunday the 5th. Didn't get to jump for the next two weekends. Finally jumped lvls 4 & 5 yesterday. 5 for 5 so far and 4 & 5 were so worth the wait (managed to stand my landing on 4 about 10m from the target).

The three weekends I didn't get to jump were not for a lack of trying. I show up at 8 on Saturday morning, sit around all day, spend the night, and then waited most, if not all of Sunday. The kicker is that 14mph limit is a real pain in the butt because as soon as you get a gust breaking it, you're done. I'd say 3 of the 6 weekend days I didn't jump, the winds were @ 10 but would gust up to 17 or 18.

Just relax and hang out at the DZ. Most of the people i've met are real chill and everyone wants to help out because they have all been in your exact same shoes.

This weekend is looking really good (even though the forecast is a ways out) but I hope I can do 6 & 7 so I can do a couple of coached jumps out of the skyvan that's visiting the DZ. After that is another weekend, a business trip, then an hour of tunnel time up in Denver.

Welcome,
When I read the thread title I thought you wrote
"Stroked and bummed all at once".
I wasn't sure FJC's included that.....

I can understand high winds being a bummer for you,

but being a 'Bummer' or being 'Bummed' in the UK means something completely different.....:D:D