missbrz

shiny new credit card

A little off topic here, but what do you guys consider to be debt?

Those things are all debt. There is no question about it.

Some debt is better than others. Student loan debt is generally considered to be good debt as is a mortgage, as long as they are reasonable regarding marketable skills acquired (student loans) and housing in line with income (mortgage).
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

[reply}

Telling somone to take all their excess $$$ out of the market at a time like this is almost negligent. :S

Most in are way down right now but it's only an on paper loss, that is unless they sell and not reinvest.

well of course. if you have put in 125k and its worth 100k if you pulled it...that would add 25k to the cost of the purchase of the house. but if you had made 25K on a 100k investment, and had all the other things in place....3 to 6 months expenses, saving 15% of income, no other debt. yes, i would use the 125K to buy a home. then, i would take the amount that my mortgage would have been, and continue to invest that every month, at a minimum. follow?

" I'm 3k in front of my bike so even if I sold it today I'd come out of it with money in my pocket. "

and if you wrecked it tomorrow? many people do not factor in risk into having an object that they owe on.

" I'm 3k in front of my bike so even if I sold it today I'd come out of it with money in my pocket. "

and if you wrecked it tomorrow? many people do not factor in risk into having an object that they owe on.

I consider 401K and IRA to be risky investments after the last round of ripoffs that Wall Street managted to get away with...

I wonder how many TRILLIONS they managed to steal legally from Americans.

Those things are all debt. There is no question about it.

Some debt is better than others. Student loan debt is generally considered to be good debt as is a mortgage, as long as they are reasonable regarding marketable skills acquired (student loans) and housing in line with income (mortgage).

and if a college education actually pays off. its like buying a good set of tools, if they make you the money, great. but if they just sit in your garage...hmmm. i am a fan of state schools. average cost is 12k a year (housing, books, tuition)...thats 1000 a month, or 250 a week. part time work, and working full time in the summer, thats how i paid for mine, with cash.

I consider 401K and IRA to be risky investments after the last round of ripoffs that Wall Street managted to get away with...

I wonder how many TRILLIONS they managed to steal legally from Americans.

so, are you going to invest in exotic motorcycles for retirement?

the market is back to the level it was. if you did not pull, you are ok. heard a report the other day, going through history, of how the market responded to major events, like WW2, JFK, Oil embargo...within 6 months, the market had recovered, and the majority were back in the black.

edit to add: frankly, i am lucky to have been putting money into the market when it was down.

Telling somone to take all their excess $$$ out of the market at a time like this is almost negligent. :S

Most in are way down right now but it's only an on paper loss, that is unless they sell and not reinvest.

well of course. if you have put in 125k and its worth 100k if you pulled it...that would add 25k to the cost of the purchase of the house. but if you had made 25K on a 100k investment

You're missing the point. It doesn't really matter how you got to having $125K in the market, what matters is that it's there, and that current market conditions are "X". I don't understand the obsession with paying off a mortgage early. It's not inherently a good idea. It simply may be a good idea.

Other than that, the general priorities he lists out are pretty good advice.

well of course. if you have put in 125k and its worth 100k if you pulled it...that would add 25k to the cost of the purchase of the house. but if you had made 25K on a 100k investment

You're missing the point. It doesn't really matter how you got to having $125K in the market, what matters is that it's there, and that current market conditions are "X". I don't understand the obsession with paying off a mortgage early. It's not inherently a good idea. It simply may be a good idea.

Other than that, the general priorities he lists out are pretty good advice.

ahh, obsession. yes, i am passionate. and that there is why i am not "normal." normal, in america, is broke. paying off a home early saves thousands, more often hundreds of thousands in interest, that can be redirected towards building wealth, and then giving. and, most fail to recognize the peace that comes with paying that last payment. really, you see the world different. try it, you like it.

edit to add: as i said earlier, if you don't like NOT having a mortgage on your home, you can always go get one. :P but, i bet you won't

ok, and with that, i am done... i need to layout my route for tomorrow... i am looking at some more real estate. great discussions! :)

ahh, obsession. yes, i am passionate. and that there is why i am not "normal." normal, in america, is broke. paying off a home early saves thousands, more often hundreds of thousands in interest, that can be redirected towards building wealth, and then giving. and, most fail to recognize the peace that comes with paying that last payment. really, you see the world different. try it, you like it.

You're fast-talking like a televangelist.

I'm neither broke, nor normal, nor obsessed with paying off my mortgage early to "find peace."

You're fast-talking like a televangelist.

I'm neither broke, nor normal, nor obsessed with paying off my mortgage early to "find peace."

AAAAHMEN! (kidding)
:D:D

gotta admit, most of that last paragraph is "Ramsey" talk.
he is also very christian, i am not. I am 42, and i wish i had done this alot earlier. its nice being like a teenager again, not owing anyone.

he is also very christian, i am not.

Dave Ramsey is a great example of why you shouldn't fail to listen to someone (or a radio station) simply because you disagree with them on certain fundamental issues.

Yes, is is very Christian and conservative. But his overall message is that one should:

1. be forthright and up front with your family
2. be forthright with your finances

in that order. It makes a lot of sense. Finances are a family affair, and keeping them in the open (even if that means that one of the family members needs to turn loose of the wallet and be put on an allowance) makes it a partnership.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

he is also very christian, i am not.

Dave Ramsey is a great example of why you shouldn't fail to listen to someone (or a radio station) simply because you disagree with them on certain fundamental issues.

Yes, is is very Christian and conservative. But his overall message is that one should:

1. be forthright and up front with your family
2. be forthright with your finances

in that order. It makes a lot of sense. Finances are a family affair, and keeping them in the open (even if that means that one of the family members needs to turn loose of the wallet and be put on an allowance) makes it a partnership.

Wendy P.

I hope you saw that I am a Ramsey fan, listen to the show daily, but simply believe differently on religion. I am more of a buddhist. :)
In fact, my wife is a Dave Ramsey ELP Realtor. :)

That was abundantly clear. I think I spend too much time in SC :P

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I consider debt to be any company that is going to give me a finance charge/late payment fee if I miss a payment and also any company that could ruin my credit score with a late payment (my score is around 800).
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

i was spec building, making 100k per home, i put alot of cash away, alot, becuase i knew that my "job" at that level was temporary.

Now there's a concept for some folks. ;):D

Smart move, make it and save it. :)
Until I paid it off, I was carrying a rental house on a line of credit for a year or two, very low interest rate. One of my CCs offered my $50K, interest free, for 9 months, so I hopped on it like a hot pork chop. Free money, right? All of a sudden, my credit score went from the low 8's to the low 7's.:o I did some research and found out it was caused by having a maxed out CC that I was only paying the minimum on each month.:D:D That and a couple of hardware store cards I picked up to get all kinds of freebies. Lesson learned.

Luckily I left Vskydiver out of all that. She still has ultra-golden credit. :)

But you can have those funds invested in many thinks, even very secure bond funds. It doesn't all have to be in stocks.

and if you choose to have someone manage it, you have got to have a good person. too many people blindly use the person provided by their company.