missbrz

shiny new credit card

Oh no, we don't eat out for convenience or eat very little fast food (I will admit to a hankering for pizza hut cheese sticks every now and then, though). I buy a lot of fresh and frozen ingredients, and try to avoid prepackaged meals.

But so many people do ... and then complain about how much they spend on food. Well, if you're buying a latte every morning, having lunch out every day at work and getting takeout at night ... yeah it's gonna add up.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Oh no, we don't eat out for convenience or eat very little fast food (I will admit to a hankering for pizza hut cheese sticks every now and then, though). I buy a lot of fresh and frozen ingredients, and try to avoid prepackaged meals.

But so many people do ... and then complain about how much they spend on food. Well, if you're buying a latte every morning, having lunch out every day at work and getting takeout at night ... yeah it's gonna add up.

Yeah, we know where our big "leak" is, but we don't consider it a leak since it's worked into our budget. We have a lot of very good places to eat around here, and we want to try them all before we leave :$

I'm just wondering what else we could be missing financially. A lot of people mention that they wish they knew what they know now back in their 20s. I know we're young, so most likely we're missing some key "thing," I just don't know what it is....

I'm just wondering what else we could be missing financially. A lot of people mention that they wish they knew what they know now back in their 20s. I know we're young, so most likely we're missing some key "thing," I just don't know what it is....

If you're already debt-free and putting money away for retirement and short-term savings, I think you're better off than a lot of people in their 20s. I think that for most people in their 20s, retirement seems so far away and short-term gains often take precedence (especially since younger folks tend to make more modest salaries. But it's the time value of money that's going to put you in the best position for a good retirement fund, so the earlier you start, the better. I raided my retirement fund to pay for some grad school expenses in the middle of my 20s - if I'd left that money where it was, I'd have a bigger retirement fund now, even though I was only putting aside a small percentage of a modest salary. Yeah, I'm making a lot more money now than I was back then, so it's easier to put money away, but my money has less time to work for me now than it did then. I've had a modest retirement account since my late 20s, but it's only been in the last three years that I have been able to afford to set aside the max amount every year, so I'm playing catch-up in terms of really getting my retirement account to where I want it to be. I guess the good news is that I started the catch-up in my late 30s rather than getting to my 50s and saying "Oh shit, I can't retire in 10 years after all!"
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah, we know where our big "leak" is, but we don't consider it a leak since it's worked into our budget. We have a lot of very good places to eat around here, and we want to try them all before we leave :$

and with that statement, i see the failure of our education system. we can teach people how to do brain surgery, but not about how to manage their money. :S you sound like your smart, and close to being debt free. go pick up a Dave Ramsey, Suzie Orman, or other book on how to live debt free. I was in debt in my 20s, it sucked big time.

living within your means is not hard, but, in today's society it is "uncommon." so you will not get good advice from most people. if someone gives you advice on how to spend your money, ask them to see their balance sheet, or how much debt they have...you have got to know where the advice is coming from. and if your "means" is not satisfying enough, then don't go into debt...make more money!

"Yeah, we know where our big "leak" is, but we don't consider it a leak since it's worked into our budget."

really, budget? what kind of budget allows you to go into debt. well, the same one the US government operates on i guess. i mean really, come on, listen to what you just said..."its worked into our budget." maybe you should try the envelop system, where you put money into envelops labeled for each spending area, and ONLY spend what you budget.

you are not on a budget if you are in debt. period. whatever happened to paying with cash for something?!

sorry, i am just passionate about this.

and with that statement, i see the failure of our education system. we can teach people how to do brain surgery, but not about how to manage their money. :S you sound like your smart, and close to being debt free. go pick up a Dave Ramsey, Suzie Orman, or other book on how to live debt free. I was in debt in my 20s, it sucked big time.

living within your means is not hard, but, in today's society it is "uncommon." so you will not get good advice from most people. if someone gives you advice on how to spend your money, ask them to see their balance sheet, or how much debt they have...you have got to know where the advice is coming from. and if your "means" is not satisfying enough, then don't go into debt...make more money!

I'm not sure what statement you refer to...

We know how to manage our money, and we are living well within our means. We aren't hurting for money. We have zero debt. We have a solid retirement fund. Our savings could support us for at least 6 months should the government shut down and my husband not get paid. Not long, but enough for right this moment. We contribute to both funds twice a month. No, we do not own a house, but we won't live in anywhere longer than 2-3 years for the foreseeable future, so buying is not in our interest right now. And, yeah, we could eat out less. But why? We budget for a meal out once a week.

We have read quite a bit of Dave Ramsey's stuff.

I was merely curious as to what else we should be considering since so many people said they wish they'd known more in their 20s.

"Yeah, we know where our big "leak" is, but we don't consider it a leak since it's worked into our budget."

really, budget? what kind of budget allows you to go into debt. well, the same one the US government operates on i guess. i mean really, come on, listen to what you just said..."its worked into our budget." maybe you should try the envelop system, where you put money into envelops labeled for each spending area, and ONLY spend what you budget.

you are not on a budget if you are in debt. period. whatever happened to paying with cash for something?!

sorry, i am just passionate about this.

Who said we are in debt???? WE have ZERO debt.

And we do work on a cash basis. We live in a foreign country, we HAVE to work on a cash basis.

ok. good. your more on track than i thought. here is a suggestion. we periodically need new vehicles. most, if not all, do not "budget" for this, and it hits them hard if an engine blows, wreck their car, or whatever. how about making a "payment" to a car fund, in the form of a mutual fund for five years. then, if, and i say if, you need a new car...its paid for, and you have made interest. if not, like us, we drive a 262,000 mile car...you have more in the bank. :)

Sounds like you're doing admirably. Particularly with budgeting for your luxury -- that means that you're not going to resent being on a budget, and look at breaking it as freedom. That's huge, and to me it's a sign of financial maturity.

If you just adjust your lifestyle to your budget (the one that lets you save, not the paycheck :S) it's not that hard to do. That means analyzing your lifestyle. If you like to invest, then set up an account that you can play and learn with, and have the rest of your money invested "intelligently." If you don't like to invest, then don't start -- it's not for everyone.

Don't pay attention to what other people have. You have things that they don't. And there will always be someone with more, different, or better something.

Dunno what you're missing, but remember -- there's always someone with more, different, or better something -- including budget and lifestyle management :ph34r:. Learn from them, but don't agonize.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And we do work on a cash basis. We live in a foreign country, we HAVE to work on a cash basis.

you did...

"and I'm only about $300 in debt right now."

you may consider it small, but it is debt.

If you're already debt-free and putting money away for retirement and short-term savings, I think you're better off than a lot of people in their 20s. I think that for most people in their 20s, retirement seems so far away and short-term gains often take precedence (especially since younger folks tend to make more modest salaries. But it's the time value of money that's going to put you in the best position for a good retirement fund, so the earlier you start, the better. I raided my retirement fund to pay for some grad school expenses in the middle of my 20s - if I'd left that money where it was, I'd have a bigger retirement fund now, even though I was only putting aside a small percentage of a modest salary. Yeah, I'm making a lot more money now than I was back then, so it's easier to put money away, but my money has less time to work for me now than it did then. I've had a modest retirement account since my late 20s, but it's only been in the last three years that I have been able to afford to set aside the max amount every year, so I'm playing catch-up in terms of really getting my retirement account to where I want it to be. I guess the good news is that I started the catch-up in my late 30s rather than getting to my 50s and saying "Oh shit, I can't retire in 10 years after all!"

I'm saving for grad school right now, and hopefully it's enough. Neither of us wants to dip into the retirement fund for school. And thank you for your response. Lately, I have spent a lot of time wondering if we should be doing more... Looks like we're good until we want a house.

you did...

no that was me. not all 20 yr olds are the same person.

huh? so. i work for myself, and am paid in green cash or checks, which is cash. not sure i get what you are trying to say.

you did...

That was missbrz, not me. Sorry, I just did a major thread jack.

you did...

That was missbrz, not me. Sorry, I just did a major thread jack.

whoops, and i just made a big boo boo. i was just trying to say that the education system in this country does not do its fair share to educate people on even how to balance a check book.

you did...

Sorry for the super thread jack! I'll make it up to you I promise :)

huh? so. i work for myself, and am paid in green cash or checks, which is cash. not sure i get what you are trying to say.

I couldn't tell you if you get paid in purple, green or orange cash. I can tell you that we choose not to use credit/debit cards on the economy for a few different reasons. Therefore, we do pull out our money each week and only use that amount like you suggested :)

not all 20 yr olds are the same person.

But who cares? :P:P:P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dunno what you're missing, but remember -- there's always someone with more, different, or better something -- including budget and lifestyle management :ph34r:. Learn from them, but don't agonize.

Thank you. And on that note, I think it is time for me to bow out on this thread, and get back to my homework :D

you did...

Meh I dont care. Some of it has been interesting and educational. I actually do have a savings fund and a sort of budget. I'm still getting my shiny new suit, though.:P But for the most part, the info on here has at least given me more to think about my finances. Guess I just havent grown up yet.... :D

you did...

Meh I dont care. Some of it has been interesting and educational. I actually do have a savings fund and a sort of budget. I'm still getting my shiny new suit, though.:P But for the most part, the info on here has at least given me more to think about my finances. Guess I just havent grown up yet.... :D

i haven't grown up either....but living debt free allows me to play more, like kid. :)

you did...

Half of my "growing up" belongs to my husband. Keep in mind that I spoke in "we's."

And you desire a new suit, buy the suit... I gave up shoes to jump, since I given up jumping for Korea, I've gone back to shoes (and food). We all have our vices.

you did...

Half of my "growing up" belongs to my husband. Keep in mind that I spoke in "we's."

And you desire a new suit, buy the suit... I gave up shoes to jump, since I given up jumping for Korea, I've gone back to shoes (and food). We all have our vices.

Yea I buy a lot less clothes and shoes and pretty shiny things now... :( But the sky is totally worth it B|

you did...

Yea I buy a lot less clothes and shoes and pretty shiny things now... :( But the sky is totally worth it B|

Definitely. I'm sure you already know the value of a thrift shop, but seriously, THRIFT SHOPS ROCK when it comes to clothes and shiny things (sorry can't bring myself to buy thrift shop shoes). :)