timbarrett

psycho-bagging question

Having made a decision that I want to pursue the psycho-pack or (more accurately it seems) psycho-bagging approach as the only way to get 280 sq/ft of new and slimy ZP into the bag, I have one question...
After turning the cocooned canopy thru 180 degrees and laying it down on the ground, is there an increased risk that as I fold over the ears of the tail that I accidently pull a D line or control line around the front? How best to guard against this? I have checked the threads on the topic and while I can find a mention of this the only response was along the lines that a line-over is just as possible on the pro-pack..true but not helpful I guess.
I am very new at this and won't be jumping what i learn without the process being checked out by my instructors/rigger of course but I have become very keen on this approach as it seems to be the only chance to stop wanting to shooting myself in frustration...
any hints/suggestions on this and any other aspect of the psycho-pack/bag very much appreciated...
thks, Tim
"Work hard, play hard and don't whinge"

IMO, there is a *slightly* greater probablity of creating a line-over during a psycho-pack[bag] than with a pro-pack. The only reason being is when the canopy is twisted 180 degrees; is it laid down or thrown down.

Usually, when psycho-packing, I take and extra 20 seconds to open the tail and pull all the nose cells back to the center before folding the tail over ensuring that one line attached to the tail that crosses over during the fold is below rather than across or over the nose cells.

Hope that helps.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I've seen the video... looks fast!!

I've read the discussions on it here, and I *THOUGHT* I read where a bridle extension wasn't explicitly needed anymore - can someone point me to the post? I can't seem to find it, now...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

One of the great things about psycho packing is that you can easily adjust things if needed while the canopy is on the ground. Before you cross the tail, open it up, make sure everything is exactly where you want it (nose, slider, d-lines, etc). Then fold it and go.

Don't worry too much about pulling a d-line or break line to the front. Make sure there aren't any lines where they shouldn't be before you fold it, and you'll be fine. I can't image how a line over could occur unless it was an EXTREMELY sloppy pack job.

Thats why the packer that taught me loved psycho packing, once I lay it down I open it up and milk all the lines and check everything is were it should be.

Just remember with psycho packing, once you bag it FLIP IT BACK OVER THE SAME WAY!
Get into your packing routine and always flip the same way, so you always flip the same way back.

I've a brand new Safire II wich is 269 sf of slick as snot ZP fabric. I have no problem pro-packing it. The trick is to make your first S fold underneath rather than on top of the canopy and using your knees to control the canopy as you pull one isde of the bag over the canopy, then the other.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

i guess that's just the nature of the beast with a new canopy, especially one of that size. i'd say just keep doing whatever your instructor is telling you, he most likely won't steer you wrong.
no matter how you pack it, it will only get easier with lots of practice. and i'm not talking about 10 or 20 pack jobs. more like 1-200.
also, they make it look very fast and easy on the precision website, and it is... with a 98ft canopy. but i can pro pack twice as fast as that without all that extra bag flipping crap.
just my $.02.;)

they make it look very fast and easy on the precision website, and it is... with a 98ft canopy. but i can pro pack twice as fast as that without all that extra bag flipping crap.

In the video on the web site they bag it in 60 seconds, and you can do it twice as fast. Hmmm I would very much like to see you do it in 30 seconds! Using any method.

Jacques

Hmmm I would very much like to see you do it in 30 seconds! Using any method.

I can't do it, but at my DZ, there are several psycho packers who can bag their canopies in under 30 seconds. If you have made your roll tight enough and don't have an overly snug bag, it really only takes a few seconds to put the canopy in.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Put the canopy in the bag yes only a few seconds, but I am talking about everything leading up to it being bagged.
I think it will lead to an unacceptably high malfunction rate if it only takes 30 seconds from you start the pack job until it is in the bag. Is it at all possible?

Jacques

if it only takes 30 seconds from you start the pack job until it is in the bag.

woah! if you want the whole pack job in 30 secs, your crazy. i guess i missed that the first time.

as far as doing as much as they do on the precision website, which is what i was talking about... yes i can do it without flipping the canopy, and faster. that's all i'm saying.

from the ground to the bag with a locking stow, about 1min and 45secs. that's what i'd guess i average. i'm rarely in a hurry though. but if necessary, i can do it.

also, i've seen Jay Stokes FLAT PACK in less than 4 1/2 mins. i watched him land take off his rig, and he had it packed and back on in maybe 6! that was kool!B|

anyway, who cares how fast i can do it. i get all the packing and jumping i need to do done, and that's all that really matters to me.;)

I phycho packed for awhile. Probably have around 300 packjobs with that method. No idea how many really, but I do know that I am much faster on a Pro pack any day if the canopy is a tight fit in the container. It's great for those who have a fairly loose fit, but I will pro pack a brand new canopy in a tight fitting D-bag anyday over a phycho pack.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Don't psycho pack....as everyone at the DZ will give you a hard time and call you crazy....your asking for a lineover...etc..etc...etc.....But then again...I find it incredibly easy and have been psychopacking since I got my A license.

I also disagree on the whole increased lineover issue. I find it is alot easier to control where my lines are when I am packing. they are right in front of me and can feel them in the pack job...where as the pro pack as you fold the canopy under you are potentialy pulling those steering lines around the front end of the canopy.

just my opinion...:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....